Tennis Forum banner

Will Roland Garros take place in 2020?

• Total voters
421 - 440 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Because this is a tennis forum and we are interested in whether or not a major tennis tournament will be played, I'd suggest.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Do players enter slams or are they automatically entered by the system depending on their ranking? And thereafter they withdraw if they can't made it? I think I read that somewhere, or maybe it was top 10 players automatic entry for PMs.

I am asking because I don't know why Myles will say not entering Cincinnati is a precursor for not playing at the USO. I also wonder if there will be last minute withdrawals so that players can pocket that 50% purse.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Do players enter slams or are they automatically entered by the system depending on their ranking? And thereafter they withdraw if they can't made it? I think I read that somewhere, or maybe it was top 10 players automatic entry for PMs.

I am asking because I don't know why Myles will say not entering Cincinnati is a precursor for not playing at the USO. I also wonder if there will be last minute withdrawals so that players can pocket that 50% purse.
They can individually enter but at the entry deadline all top 200 players are automatically entered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Apparently, the French Federation has canceled the Junior tournament

Correction, it is on

From what I've learned, French Open Junior Championships are on, having received a waiver from ITF, but for all other 2020 events, draws cut in half and only Grade 3 maximum points will be awarded:

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
Have we heard anything else from the FFT recently? Or even just rumblings from anyone? Because cases are going up in France—as they are in many parts of Europe. Apparently, the country clocked in over 2K cases on Friday.

·
Retired
5,896 Posts

"A ban on meetings of more than 5,000 people has been extended to 30 October. "

This must affect plans to hold Garros with spectators.
Still it will be up to the local authorities (prefects) to allow these 5000+ people events or not, they will be able to grant exceptions if they think the event's safety measures are sufficient. Of course there's still a long way to go until late September though, and the FO will probably have to refund some ticket holders anyway as they already said they would in such a case.

·
Registered
31,204 Posts
This is starting to feel exactly like Spain's situation was a few weeks ago… And things have gotten much worse there since July.

On the other hand, if they do a bubble and testing and everything then the players should be just fine regardless of the situation in the rest of the area. Spectators may be an issue though and does the bubble apply to the entire staff as well? It would be a huge shame if the tournament ends up getting cancelled.

·
Registered
30,530 Posts
I also think that it gets more likely by the day that this gets cancelled again. Ironically, it seems the best date to have this held was during their usual time slot in May/June when cases were low all over Europe.

In general, I agree with iGOAT that the bubble concept should work no matter what. But I just doubt that they would go ahead with it, there seems to be not enough faith in the concept.

·
Registered
31,204 Posts
I also think that it gets more likely by the day that this gets cancelled again. Ironically, it seems the best date to have this held was during their usual time slot in May/June when cases were low all over Europe.

In general, I agree with iGOAT that the bubble concept should work no matter what. But I just doubt that they would go ahead with it, there seems to be not enough faith in the concept.
Nah in May/early June Paris was still on partial lockdown (restaurants hadn't even reopened yet), but around Wimbledon's normal time would have been optimal.

I think the bubble takes EXTENSIVE preparation too, which is why the USTA seems able to pull it off but not sure it would be possible to put in place now for Paris.

·
Registered
30,530 Posts
Nah in May/early June Paris was still on partial lockdown (restaurants hadn't even reopened yet), but around Wimbledon's normal time would have been optimal.

I think the bubble takes EXTENSIVE preparation too, which is why the USTA seems able to pull it off but not sure it would be possible to put in place now for Paris.
I know that there was a lockdown in place but was it still necessary at that time? I think the spread of March/April was already stopped at that point, at least judging from this. It was similar in Germany and we already started having Bundesliga matches in mid-May and it went on without problems. But yeah, a few weeks later might have been better. Still seems that May/June looked better than what is going on now.

·
Registered
31,204 Posts
I know that there was a lockdown in place but was it still necessary at that time? I think the spread of March/April was already stopped at that point, at least judging from this. It was similar in Germany and we already started having Bundesliga matches in mid-May and it went on without problems. But yeah, a few weeks later might have been better. Still seems that May/June looked better than what is going on now.
Yeah I mean from a pure perspective of case spread and hindsight being 20/20, it potentially would have been feasible then (and definitely without spectators, which they're still hoping to manage to have), but in terms of the whole lockdown and situation in the country there was no way. Borders within the EU didn't even reopen until June 15…

·
Premium Member
39,363 Posts
The lockdown was absolutely necessary in April and May, it would have been insane to organize an event such as Roland-Garros at that time. Like, walking blinded towards a gulf. Without the lockdown the following months would have been a disaster, and probably a trauma by now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The lockdown was absolutely necessary in April and May, it would have been insane to organize an event such as Roland-Garros at that time. Like, walking blinded towards a gulf. Without the lockdown the following months would have been a disaster, and probably a trauma by now.
Sweden didn't lock down and, as of today, are looking better than France.

·
Registered
30,530 Posts
I was obviously just talking about the situation in hindsight. I think there is no doubt that cases were at their lowest during June, especially compared to now. That does not mean that I blame the organizers for shifting the date, it was the right decision of course.

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
Yes, but France has nearly six times more people with nearly 120 people per square km. Sweden has 25. Let's not even compare Paris and Stockholm. The outbreak would have been much more difficult to control in France if it did not impose a lockdown. The only way comparisons to Sweden would make sense is if the country were identical to Sweden.

·
Premium Member
39,363 Posts
Sweden wasn't hit like France, Italy and Spain. We would have seen an hecatomb of 3X more deads (and I'm kind) without general lockdown. Check the covid thread in the non-tennis section to know more about stats.

421 - 440 of 446 Posts