Tennis Forum banner

Will Roland Garros take place in 2020?

• Total voters
381 - 400 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
The French and their roof. By all means necessary to show it off and start paying for it. I hope that they can regulate temperature.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
This will be interesting.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thinking on how tight a venue Roland Garros is, that's still quite busy. I thought they'd have to be more creative with a token system for individual courts or something like that.

·
Registered
85,861 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I think the precautions will be fine. I still don't understand why they can't have it without fans but it's outdoors, people will be wearing masks, etc. Now, the problem will start if it'll be rainy (as forecast suggests), and they will need to use their roof... they need to address that policy of masks not being mandatory in the stands because if they will be using the roof often it absolutely needs to be.

Another issue is what happens to players with positive tests. Because there will probably be a lot of players testing positive if these are the "restrictions" the FFT are implementing for a Grand Slam event.

·
Registered
31,385 Posts
Another issue is what happens to players with positive tests. Because there will probably be a lot of players testing positive if these are the "restrictions" the FFT are implementing for a Grand Slam event.
Is there any other option than immediate withdrawal?

·
King
28,667 Posts
I imagine they can’t afford to play it without any crowds, so they have no choice. I honestly think this will be a total disaster in general, logistically, so let’s see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seating arrangements are great if you want to go alone and are self conscious about it.

Can see a random final if the conditions are autumnal, Poots v Sorribes Tormo.
So is anyone on here planning to buy tickets when they go on general sale on 16 July? Its so much easier using the French open's online queuing system than the Wimbledon one involving camping gear.

We normally go every year from the UK - and we missed out on Wimbledon. Those night matches sound like fun as long as you bring a coat and sweater!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Tempted to but too scared to travel.
If there is one tournament I wouldn’t mind watching on TV without crowds it’s this one.
Then I wouldn’t have to listen to them boo every time a player legitimately questions a call, plus that up and down allez call they do and that other unique sound individuals in French Tennis crowds make that I find really irritating

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Djokovic's event taught us to be cautious - French Open director

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I imagine they can’t afford to play it without any crowds, so they have no choice. I honestly think this will be a total disaster in general, logistically, so let’s see.
They held a F1 auto race in Austria on Sunday with no crowds.
Normally there would be 100,000 to 200,000 in the stands.
Also, very few people in the garages. Normally there would be hundreds of hangers-on in the garage area.
I only watched a bit of the race, just to see how they would handle the covid problem. F1 racing has become too boring to watch, as the races are won in a aerodynamic computer lab 6 months before the race is run.

381 - 400 of 446 Posts