Tennis Forum banner

301 - 320 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
113,374 Posts
I've heard talk that a vaccine might not be around until 2022, and like flu vaccine it wont be a cure-all. We dont know yet, but eventually people have to be allowed to go to work. No point in having a 2 year lockdown in every country
I'll stay optimistic that sports with no fans will happen. They just had something called the NFL draft and it had a record audience of 15 million. It was college athletes getting picked by NFL teams. So there are viewers out there and tv will happen

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Rory McIlroy from Northern Ireland and Jon Rahm from Spain, the top two golfers in the world, will play tournaments in America in June along with Adam Scott from Australia and other players from across the globe, despite the travel bans. The PGA Tour has worked out special exemptions for their players so that they can travel to tournaments.
I wouldn't expect anything different from the tennis community.
So no... Once tours and leagues are allowed to resume, travelling won't be an issue for professional athletes.
The golfers probably have a special visa/green card to begin with. They just need to enter the US once and not leave again for the foreseeable future which is easier than entering and leaving a new country every week like a tennis player has to.

The ITF won't secure "special exemptions" every week so that Shapatava can go earn 267$ for a doubles 2R loss in Uzbekistan and I don't think any non-Slam tournament can turn out a profit without spectators so what's the point?

·
Registered
113,374 Posts
The UFC has 3 different events scheduled for mid May. The athletes want to compete. Horse racing is happening today in several countries
Golf is about to start. Lets see what happens. I dont believe those will be the only sports coming back

·
Registered
97 Posts
The UFC has 3 different events scheduled for mid May. The athletes want to compete. Horse racing is happening today in several countries
Golf is about to start. Lets see what happens. I dont believe those will be the only sports coming back
Explain, why can't waitresses, workers, parlors etc. can't come back?
What is the difference?

·
Registered
113,374 Posts
They will. They have to to support themselves and keep economies from collapsing. Every day I see articles about different countries opening up a little
Its still April and this is a new virus that is being studied in research labs all around the world

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
They will. They have to to support themselves and keep economies from collapsing. Every day I see articles about different countries opening up a little
Its still April and this is a new virus that is being studied in research labs all around the world
Don't waste your time arguing with TennisFed and Jay Walker, it is the same person using two accounts to harass other users. I am not sure who is worse, him or PowerShot/Tomma17

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Don't waste your time arguing with TennisFed and Jay Walker, it is the same person using two accounts to harass other users. I am not sure who is worse, him or PowerShot/Tomma17
Do you have any proof that either of these claims is true? If you have, show it to the administrators. If you don't, stop banging on about it.

·
Registered
113,374 Posts
I'm not the one arguing. I am just making the case that lockdown for 2 years is great if you're retired and have a big house and can afford to pay all your bills and have food delivered the next 10 years. For Sharapova or Wozniacki, they can quarantine as long as they want and be fine.
But for 98% of the world, they need an income and people are already risking their lives. Nurses, doctors, police, everyone doing essential work. So eventually more and more will try to safely get back to work
For sports, some are trying hard to come back. I dont understand how NFL can come back. Each team has 50 players and 10 coaches and you need a ton of other people for equipment and other chores
But the NFL Goodell says they are right on schedule for a full season
I see tennis as the easiest sport, along with golf, to have a small event. A major will have to be a tv show with a smaller field, like 32 so they can stay apart in locker rooms
And I put in some thread that NFL draft had record tv ratings each of the first 2 nights and sold out every commercial spot early. So sports fans are at home and there are still sponsors with money and eager to advertize.
Sports is now a tv show, although if the NFL happens, they will have people in luxury suites and spread out in the expensive seats. Thats big money

·
Registered
962 Posts
The golfers probably have a special visa/green card to begin with. They just need to enter the US once and not leave again for the foreseeable future which is easier than entering and leaving a new country every week like a tennis player has to.

The ITF won't secure "special exemptions" every week so that Shapatava can go earn 267$ for a doubles 2R loss in Uzbekistan and I don't think any non-Slam tournament can turn out a profit without spectators so what's the point?
You shouldn’t even bother with him. The irony is that he thinks the tours and players are being selfish, yet his very idea is actually selfish as it’s only doing for the very top players....basically just so he can watch top level tennis again.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
French sports minister Roxana Maracineanu says the rescheduled Tour de France & French Open are still a possibility in September but says they won't be staged without spectators. "They will be held only if fans are permitted," she said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this looks like an indirect spoiler of tournament cancelled, absolutely no way people will be allowed to attend these events in a few months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard talk that a vaccine might not be around until 2022, and like flu vaccine it wont be a cure-all. We dont know yet, but eventually people have to be allowed to go to work. No point in having a 2 year lockdown in every country
I'll stay optimistic that sports with no fans will happen. They just had something called the NFL draft and it had a record audience of 15 million. It was college athletes getting picked by NFL teams. So there are viewers out there and tv will happen
I know coronavirus never had a vaccine so far. If they manage to make a vaccine for SARS 2 it'll be the first time humanity ever made a vaccine for coronavirus since 1960 when they started trying to which of course would be a monumental feat considering they tried for decades with absolutely 0 success.

·
Registered
113,374 Posts
Right. I've heard that also. This kind of virus might never have a cure. Thats why I think its so important to try to play, otherwise you might have to close your sport down for a few years. But if they can do it safely, this is a sport that works. You dont need a lot of extra people for tennis. Its much tougher for team sports to have a season than to have tennis tournaments that are manageable with limited draws

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
The amount of pushng and shoving and drama by the French Open should almost now force them to guarantee and host the tournament this year. Otherwise if they cancel it (after jumping thru all the hoops) it will be an embarrassment.

301 - 320 of 343 Posts