Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,279 Posts
my aunt recently went back to china last month to visit my grandparents. one person on the plane she was on was diagnosed with coronavirus, she was immediately marked for quarantine and stayed in a chinese quarantine hotel for a month with the rest of the ppl on the flight. luckily, chinese gvmt paid for housing and food, which is no longer the case for ppl flying into china. essentially foreigners that goes back to china is financially responsible for their own quarantine, self-imposed or not.

when she went back to germany, there was no requirements for a self-imposed quarantine, just straight up went home. so china has seriously been cracking down comparitvely - obviously they have an easier way to do so to do so with the governmental structure there, but yes, they went to extreme measures to fight this extreme situation they are in; and that is the only proven approach right now to protect against this virus.

however, the suffering from various industries is truly heartbreaking... eating food and trying new restaurants is one of my most precious hobby and to see the restaurant industry completely decimated really puts things into perspective for myself... i can't imagine what it is like for people who cannot work right now and have people and families to support (pretty much anyone without a computer job) - i pray to the god i don't believe in the world can make it through this sooner rather than later.
Thank you for that post Potato. Smart, informative, heartfelt and honest. Thanks for sharing all of this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Swiss newspaper BLICK notes that it is very likely that Wimbledon gets axed as well. A final decision will be taken next week.

·
Registered
113,198 Posts
I can see French Open Sept-Oct 4. Then US Open at Indian Wells or Miami in late Oct
Then WTA can decide if it Shenzhen can safely host the YEC.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
No way Roland Garros will be run at the end of September with the inconsistent Weather in Europe. WTA CEO Steve Simon & ATP CEO Andrea Gaudenzi would never accept that. There would be no tune up Events.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If it's ever played it won't have a crowd. Impossible. Will the officials organize it without crowd?
Why not? Imagine the echo in this ugly renewed concrete PC stadium. Players grunting into oblivion, driving their opponents crazy. Glorious stuff.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

A bombshell interview by French sports newspaper l’Equipe to the President of the German Tennis Federation Dirk Hordoff has released some new details about the discussions taking place behind the scenes among top tennis executive to try and sort out the chaos created by the Covid-19 pandemic.

According to Hordoff, the grass-court season will be a write-off in 2020, with all tournaments waiting for Wimbledon to announce the cancelation of the tournament next Wednesday to make their decision official. “It’s the only decision that makes sense,” said the German executive “it is possible to play on clay later in the year, but it is not possible to have tournaments on grass in October, you can’t play on grass when it is moist”.

But the juiciest bits of the interview described with an abundance of details the reactions to the French Federation’s decision to unilaterally postpone the Roland Garros to late September (20 September – 4 October) without waiting to reach a consensus among the ATP, the WTA and the other Grand Slam tournament. “This is not the French way of doing things, it’s Bernard Giudicelli’s way of doing things”, said Hordoff. The FFT President Giudicelli reportedly forced the decision upon the other tournaments, uploading the press release to announce the decision while he was on a conference call with other tennis executives. “I believe he panicked because of the elections coming up [in February 2021] and wanted to score some points on his opponent” reported Hordoff. His decision to also cancel the qualifying tournament was intended to be a “biscuit” for the ITF President David Haggerty, since it would make the Davis Cup Finals in Madrid in November even more financially attractive to all the players who did not have the opportunity to earn money with the Roland Garros qualifying tournament. “He hoped to have the ITF on his side, but now he is alone against the rest of the world,” said Hordoff, adding that the ATP is threatening to remove the ranking points assigned to Roland Garros for both 2020 and 2021.

One manager at the FFT allegedly told Hardoff: “This decision will be his Waterloo”, alluding to Giudicelli’s birth region of Corisca, the island in the Mediterranean that also was Napoleon’s birthplace.

The idea for the remainder of the season would be to have Roland Garros some time between September and October, depending on when it is possible to start playing again and have a short clay-court season before then. The situation in New York is quite dire at the moment, so the US Open is still a question mark for the time being, explained Hordoff. “But the most important thing right now is people’s health. I believe that until we have a vaccine or a cure it will be difficult to start again. Can you imagine all the people travelling from tournament to tournament, all the players, the fans, the coaches, the physios, the referees? There are more important things than tennis to think about”.

“Financially tennis will be all right – concluded Hordoff – I don’t see any of the Top 100 having problems to survive even without tennis. Of course, there may be some sponsors that will pull back their support to some tournaments, but tennis will survive. It will be different, but it will survive”.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
"the ATP is threatening to remove the ranking points assigned to Roland Garros for both 2020 and 2021" yeah... that soooo won't happen. ATP is players. Who want those points very very badly.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
No way Roland Garros will be run at the end of September with the inconsistent Weather in Europe. WTA CEO Steve Simon & ATP CEO Andrea Gaudenzi would never accept that. There would be no tune up Events.

more like, no way the weather in September in Paris will be worse than the weather has been in late May for the past 6-7 years. It's been cold every year at RG since 2013.

And LOL at Simon & Gaudenzi being the ones to make the call on this. It isn't up to them.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
"the ATP is threatening to remove the ranking points assigned to Roland Garros for both 2020 and 2021" yeah... that soooo won't happen. ATP is players. Who want those points very very badly.
It isn't a Threat! Forget & these French Clowns can't just do what they want - Period! They have to work with the ATP & WTA about a potentially compromised Schedule. Guess what: The Players didn't even know about this Date Change until it was published on the RG Website. The only Player, that was informed prior to announcing it, was I think you guessed it RAFAEL NADAL.
The only way they're going to play RG is if there are Tune Up Events. Madrid & Rome somewhere in the weeks prior (End of August/Beginning of September).

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
more like, no way the weather in September in Paris will be worse than the weather has been in late May for the past 6-7 years. It's been cold every year at RG since 2013.

And LOL at Simon & Gaudenzi being the ones to make the call on this. It isn't up to them.
It isn't just about the Weather at that Point! If you would listen to the Health Institutes around the World "Pandemics like Coronavirus" are coming in WAVES. What does that mean? It means there is every reason to believe that we'll get a 2nd Wave of this Virus presumably beginning during early autumn and autumn in general in the northern hemisphere meaning it could be begin Mid September to Early October excatly what Clown Car Clown Guy Forget wants to play his Tournament.

In my view every Major Sporting Event in 2020 needs to be cancelled until we have a vacine - Period!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A lot of foaming at the mouth about a thing that has massive chances of not happening. Are you all in pain about the famous Asian swing which pretty much all of you shat on anyway? This is funny.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well that's 2021 February or so. I say AO needs to be axed in 2021 so that every GS has one missing. It would be only fair!

·
Registered
21,819 Posts
No one brings up the fact the remote possibility of both a surface and venue change.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
The official RG Android app was updated on Thursday. Release note: "Roland Garros 2020 will be here sooner than you think! To prepare for the forthcoming edition of the tournament, we have reworked our app's navigation..."

In other years, the app is often not even barely functional until day 2 of qualies, so this forward thinking is to be welcomed.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 261 Posts