Tennis Forum banner

221 - 240 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Disrupting the economy and shutting down normal life is clearly not the best solution to fight any virus, as many of the deaths associated with it are not even caused directly by it but rather it being the last straw in a multitude of health issues that particular very sick person had. Like others already mentioned, billions of people on this Earth life by day-to-day basis and any prolonged disruption to their regular income is catastrophic to them...it is likely to cause massive riots, pillaging and many more deaths than a few very sick people getting the virus and dying because of it. The impact of this virus is massively exaggerated and just like China example proves, it can be contained and slowed down IF people are sensible and cooperative...although expecting much common sense from countries like Italy or Spain is probably asking too much to begin with

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The impact of this virus is massively exaggerated
Just a comparison with the other outbreaks since 2000. And this should clear things up why this shit is real and real measures to slow the spread are really, really needed everywhere.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
They're making a sequel to that 2020 John Cusack movie, called "2021". They're casting "dumb arses who don't realise this shit is real" to appear in the opening scenes to set up the real action when the protagonists fight this virus. Some of y'all should apply.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
They're making a sequel to that 2020 John Cusack movie, called "2021". They're casting "dumb arses who don't realise this shit is real" to appear in the opening scenes to set up the real action when the protagonists fight this virus. Some of y'all should apply.

if a million people die from the COVID, it's a tragedy, right?

but if a billion people die from the panic and the economic shutdown, you don't give a rat's ass.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
A new casting call for: "guy who insists on keeping his office open before coming to the late realisation that the economy is stuffed if this thing kills everyone around us. His final scene shows him watching the news unfold alone in his office surrounded by rolls of toilet paper".

The economy and public health are intertwined. Countries who took decisive action early (with big disruptions to business as usual) are in a way better position than those who waited. The economic impacts can't be avoided but we will not return to normal if we don't put health as a priority.

Also a shutdown necessarily needs to be done with gov support so ppl aren't left destitute. The aussie gov has doubled social security payments, allowed early access to super payments etc. It's not ideal but the point is that you're assuming it's all or nothing.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Disrupting the economy and shutting down normal life is clearly not the best solution to fight any virus (...)
just like China example proves, it can be contained and slowed down IF people are sensible and cooperative (...)
China contained it only by disrupting the economy and shutting down normal life.
How can you contradict yourself within a few sentences?

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
I sincerely applaud all of you billionaire "protagonists" wo can actually afford to shut down their regular life and start a heroic fight with this evil virus instead of us, mere peasants, who actually have no other choice and no luxurious mansion somewhere to self-isolate but to go to work every single day just to make ends meet. You know, billions of us disposable mortals, who are left with no other choice but rioting and pillaging after all of the privileged folks like you keep on fighting in your glorious battle...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Role #3: angry guy wearing tinfoil hat repeating stuff he heard on Fox News

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,713 Posts
us, mere peasants, who actually have no other choice and no luxurious mansion somewhere to self-isolate but to go to work every single day just to make ends meet. You know, billions of us disposable mortals, who are left with no other choice but rioting and pillaging after all of the privileged folks like you keep on fighting in your glorious battle...
Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Disrupting the economy and shutting down normal life is clearly not the best solution to fight any virus, as many of the deaths associated with it are not even caused directly by it but rather it being the last straw in a multitude of health issues that particular very sick person had. Like others already mentioned, billions of people on this Earth life by day-to-day basis and any prolonged disruption to their regular income is catastrophic to them...it is likely to cause massive riots, pillaging and many more deaths than a few very sick people getting the virus and dying because of it. The impact of this virus is massively exaggerated and just like China example proves, it can be contained and slowed down IF people are sensible and cooperative...although expecting much common sense from countries like Italy or Spain is probably asking too much to begin with
Boris, is that you?

·
Art & Futures
20,406 Posts
We're looking at Wimbledon - two weeks - Tokyo - three weeks - USO - one week - French Open. Oh my.
Inb4 it's

Tokyo - Wimbledon - one week - USO - one week - French Open

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Tennis will just have to wait for other national sports to start, before it's players and all involved start waltzing around the world...next year.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Tennis will just have to wait for other national sports to start, before it's players and all involved start waltzing around the world...next year.

dude, if tennis doesn't start back up this year, it won't do so next year either, or the year after that.

These folks who are rooting so hard to see everything cancelled because of a virus that causes minor symptoms in 99 percent of the people who catch it, should try using their brains a little bit more.

If the quarantine and panic don't end within a couple of months, there will be global economic depression and a collapse of free society... we'll be living in a dictatorship and no corporations and municipalities will have any resources to sponsor professional tennis. I have no doubt that Trump is already scheming to use this virus panic to cancel the November election, suspend the US Constitution, and install himself in power permanently like his pal Bobby Putin in Moscow.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
dude, if tennis doesn't start back up this year, it won't do so next year either, or the year after that.

These folks who are rooting so hard to see everything cancelled because of a virus that causes minor symptoms in 99 percent of the people who catch it, should try using their brains a little bit more.

If the quarantine and panic don't end within a couple of months, there will be global economic depression and a collapse of free society... we'll be living in a dictatorship and no corporations and municipalities will have any resources to sponsor professional tennis. I have no doubt that Trump is already scheming to use this virus panic to cancel the November election, suspend the US Constitution, and install himself in power permanently like his pal Bobby Putin in Moscow.
Look genius, tennis has players coming from many different countries including their teams and WTA staff members. Many countries are at different stages of infection, and may not allow some players from certain countries, and certain countries may not be able to host tournament. Unlike basketball, football and others were players are normally nationally based, and play within leagues.

With regard to world economics collapsing and dictators ruling. No doubt there will be an economic crisis, countries have for decades have managed to survive such crises, just as they did viruses and world wars. Dictatorship can be self determined, not every country needs a democracy, if the US gets to that, it is what it deserves after voting for that pussy grabber. China is already on the road to recovery, the impact may not be so big, as in the case with many Asian countries.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
China contained it only by disrupting the economy and shutting down normal life.
How can you contradict yourself within a few sentences?

First of all, we don't know what China did or didn't do, because they are a dictatorship, and no verifiable information is coming out of there.

Second of all, nobody should be willing to turn free Western societies into China-like dictatorial regimes - destroying our economy and culture - for the sake of the COVID virus. The trade-off is not worth it. If COVID was killing 50 percent of infected people or even 10 percent, that would be another story. But it's nowhere close to that.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,868 Posts
This might seem an odd suggestion to a few posters here but it would seem to me the best way to prevent people from panicking is to stop the virus from killing people. The more people who are killed the more panic there is going to be. I don't want panic and I don't want to see a lot of people killed. Trying to do things that prevent deaths doesn't seem like a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

The WTA will start again. There might even be a few events towards the end of this year although I doubt we are going to see any the Slams taking place. The world will return to normal just as it always does. Recovery will take time. And yes, we have to be very weary of our leaders.

Vogus emeritus is right on one point. Trump, being Trump, is very likely to try to exploit this horrible situation for his own advantage and use it as way of postponing or even cancelling the upcoming US elections. He must not be allowed to get away with that and everyone needs to be vigilant.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
First of all, we don't know what China did or didn't do, because they are a dictatorship, and no verifiable information is coming out of there.

Second of all, nobody should be willing to turn free Western societies into China-like dictatorial regimes - destroying our economy and culture - for the sake of the COVID virus. The trade-off is not worth it. If COVID was killing 50 percent of infected people or even 10 percent, that would be another story. But it's nowhere close to that.
The hyperbole isn't helping. Which approach do you think should be taken instead? Pick one:

Source was from here:

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
my aunt recently went back to china last month to visit my grandparents. one person on the plane she was on was diagnosed with coronavirus, she was immediately marked for quarantine and stayed in a chinese quarantine hotel for a month with the rest of the ppl on the flight. luckily, chinese gvmt paid for housing and food, which is no longer the case for ppl flying into china. essentially foreigners that goes back to china is financially responsible for their own quarantine, self-imposed or not.

when she went back to germany, there was no requirements for a self-imposed quarantine, just straight up went home. so china has seriously been cracking down comparitvely - obviously they have an easier way to do so to do so with the governmental structure there, but yes, they went to extreme measures to fight this extreme situation they are in; and that is the only proven approach right now to protect against this virus.

however, the suffering from various industries is truly heartbreaking... eating food and trying new restaurants is one of my most precious hobby and to see the restaurant industry completely decimated really puts things into perspective for myself... i can't imagine what it is like for people who cannot work right now and have people and families to support (pretty much anyone without a computer job) - i pray to the god i don't believe in the world can make it through this sooner rather than later.

221 - 240 of 365 Posts