Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
There wont be crowds until there is a vaccine. I dont even understand these dates, unless its just an optimistic projection. AS others have said, how you go from no group over 10 people to thousands? How can you be sure it doesnt spread again?

·
Registered
24,084 Posts
And what about the people who don't qualify as "healthy"? Sod them, I guess? This is one of the most uncompassionate, arrogant and deluded posts I have read in this forum. Sorry.

Perhaps this picture might clear your head and give you an understanding of what this virus is capable of.

I agree completely. Those of us who work in healthcare know better too. I work at a massive academic medical center in the states, and we canceled all elective tests, procedures, and surgeries beginning a week ago (not only to make beds available for COVID-19 patients but also to re-purpose those pre-op, post-op and surgical spaces themselves), and we are already overtaken by capacity. USA is also 10-14 days behind Italy in terms of community spread. On top of that, Emergency Departments have tented their parking lots to triage patients in an area that's somewhat protected from the weather.

The obituary section of Italian newspapers went from 1 page to 10 pages, and there's no sign that this has even plateaued.

To deny these facts or insist that hysteria is what's driving these actions is super callous.

·
Registered
252 Posts
600+ deaths in Italy today, entire Europe is collapsing very fast, USA in very deep shit and countries like Brazil show that warm weather won't help. There won't be tennis again as we know it. God have mercy of Africa.

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
One advantage China has is they can force people inside. In Democracies people think freedom means going outside. This could be a real mess in a lot of countries
Its much worse than I thought it would be. It could mean the end of crowds until a vaccine, which could be over a year

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think you have said everything we need to know about you in this post. Thank you.

The ignorance, fear-mongering, whining, and hysteria that you have been spreading through this forum for the last 2 weeks are an affront to decency and common sense. That effete, arrogant, elitist leftists such as yourself have the gall to try to order others what to say & do is simply incredible.

Bret Stephens of the NYT says it much better than me.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,251 Posts
The ignorance, fear-mongering, whining, and hysteria that you have been spreading through this forum for the last 2 weeks are an affront to decency and common sense. That effete, arrogant, elitist leftists such as yourself have the gall to try to order others what to say & do is simply incredible.

If you have a problem with a specific post I have made you are welcome to address it just as I had specific problems with your previous post which I addressed.

The thing is when one makes very specific points the are from the basis of one post it is possible for the person who made the original post to defend themselves. You had an opportunity to defend your post which you chose not to take. When generalised attacks are made on a person defending oneself becomes a much less realistic prospect.

Unfortunately rather than address the points I made in my post, you have chosen to attack me in the most general and dishonest way possible characterising me quite inaccurately. Now I know how much you dislike Donald Trump. We share that sentiment. However, I find it quite disturbing that your approach to criticism so resembles that of Mr Trump.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you have a problem with a specific post I have made you are welcome to address it just as I had specific problems with your previous post which I addressed.

The thing is when one makes very specific points the are from the basis of one post it is possible for the person who made the original post to defend themselves. You had an opportunity to defend your post which you chose not to take. When generalised attacks are made on a person defending oneself becomes a much less realistic prospect.

Unfortunately rather than address the points I made in my post, you have chosen to attack me in the most general and dishonest way possible characterising me quite inaccurately. Now I know how much you dislike Donald Trump. We share that sentiment. However, I find it quite disturbing that your approach to criticism so resembles that of Mr Trump.

Let's try to stop this exchange, as you and i agree on many points. I'm very upset that the global economy is shutting down because i know what the consequences are if we don't get things back up & running as soon as possible. We can live without tennis and football and rock concerts, but the poorest people are the ones who are going to suffer the most and the soonest from this. Then after them, small business owners & employees... the corporates and their lawyers will always figure out how to work massive state assistance to their own advantage... they'll end up with most of the bailout money in their pockets.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
I'm very upset that the global economy is shutting down because i know what the consequences are if we don't get things back up & running as soon as possible. We can live without tennis and football and rock concerts, but the poorest people are the ones who are going to suffer the most and the soonest from this. Then after them, small business owners & employees... the corporates and their lawyers will always figure out how to work massive state assistance to their own advantage... they'll end up with most of the bailout money in their pockets.
Aren't the poorest people also the ones who suffer the most from the spread of a virus? Some economists are aware that human health is prioritary. Your sense of priorities is disturbing. How can you call out on "panic" when we have health experts to tell us what to do? I'm glad we live in a world where economists aren't cynical enough to claim health secondary.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Aren't the poorest people also the ones who suffer the most from the spread of a virus? Some economists are aware that human health is prioritary. Your sense of priorities is disturbing. How can you call out on "panic" when we have health experts to tell us what to do? I'm glad we live in a world where economists aren't cynical enough to claim health secondary.

you (and many others) are chasing a simplistic equation where people's health isn't affected by economic shutdown, and those 2 concepts are kept artificially separate... that's not how it works in the real world. I suggest you to read Stephens' piece, which is well argued.

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
It is a 2 part problem. We dont know enough about the virus. We need to see huge inprovement in Italy. There's no vaccine.
But also billions on this Earth live day to day or paycheck to paycheck, and shutting down businesses really hurts a lot of people

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
you (and many others) are chasing a simplistic equation where people's health isn't affected by economic shutdown, and those 2 concepts are kept artificially separate... that's not how it works in the real world. I suggest you to read Stephens' piece, which is well argued.
Economic shutdown and covid-19 come together because economy needs healthy people. Historians remind us that pandemics have affected economies in the past, and forced societies to organize differently. Totally understandable, and wise, to not minimize something we have poor knowledge and control of.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The ignorance, fear-mongering, whining, and hysteria that you have been spreading through this forum for the last 2 weeks are an affront to decency and common sense.
Shevbarilescu's posts on the matter are all common sense. Haven't read all of them, but the ones I read were very balanced.

Maybe you haven't watched the videos that were taken inside Chinese hospitals early February and Italy now. In countries that reacted too late, the health care system WILL collapse. Inform yourself and be safe.

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
Hopefully by September, the public is going to figure out that the reported fatality rate of COVID of 4-6% is a massive exaggeration, and the real rate of deaths from the virus among healthy people is only 0.1% (1 in a thousand) or less. So by the time the USO rolls around, New York might be shrugging at the whole thing. (I didn't make this up, i got the stat in an article by a Stanford epidemiologist that i read earlier today discussing the lack of hard science behind many of the claims about corona-virus being made in the media).
I live in New York. Let me guarantee you that the city will not be shrugging at this "whole thing" by August. Unlike Trump, Cuomo is actually doing something about it. I'm sure the U.S. Open will be cancelled, no question about it.

·
Registered
30,966 Posts

What this argument ignored is that Italy tried the alternative approach of not shutting everything down and forcing social distancing, and look how well that went. I agree with you and Stephens that this level of disruption is a little bit scary, but what alternative do we have other than ending up like Italy?

Stephens is also ludicrously good at making early arguments that are either straight-up wrong or that he later flips (at least he can admit he's wrong sometimes). He has claimed climate change is no big deal, that Trump should not be impeached (and then saying he should), that Biden could never win, etc.

·
Registered
53,460 Posts
I doubt that the French Open will happen this year ...
The cure against Coronavirus will only be there in 2021.
IMO it is looking bad for the 3 remaining Grand Slams this year.

The only chance to play one more Grand Slam this year is without crowd.
One good thing about tennis is that the net separates the 2 players (safe distance).
(Doubles should be cancelled for this year. And the chance for singles is also very low.)

Also one worrying thing is that we are only at the beginning of the crisis :(
The situation in Paris, London and especially New York will get a lot worse in next months.
I especially fear for New York/USA. Because I don´t think they are prepared enough ...

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I doubt that the French Open will happen this year ...
The cure against Coronavirus will only be there in 2021.
IMO it is looking bad for the 3 remaining Grand Slams this year.

The only chance to play one more Grand Slam this year is without crowd.
One good thing about tennis is that the net separates the 2 players (safe distance).
(Doubles should be cancelled for this year. And the chance for singles is also very low.)

Also one worrying thing is that we are only at the beginning of the crisis :(
The situation in Paris, London and especially New York will get a lot worse in next months.
I especially fear for New York/USA. Because I don´t think they are prepared enough ...
Considering our administration was warned numerous times about not being prepared for a pandemic, are pandemic response team being disbanded, and certain senators choosing to sell off their stock instead of warning the public before start of the pandemic, we're pretty much screwed as a nation.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I live in New York. Let me guarantee you that the city will not be shrugging at this "whole thing" by August. Unlike Trump, Cuomo is actually doing something about it. I'm sure the U.S. Open will be cancelled, no question about it.
I live in NYC too. I don't understand the hype around Cuomo's actions. From my observations, there were a shit ton of people out and about the other day in the warm weather and even this weekend, there's still people lingering around and socializing in small groups on the streets. Cuomo also had the option to make this decision many days earlier (which MATTERS when a disease spreads exponentially) but got stuck in a pussy fight with de Blasio over semantics around the term "shelter in place". I won't be impressed until Cuomo threatens police action on anyone who fucking leaves the house without an emergency excuse or getting food.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is silly from French Open

Tours should get together and if and when tennis be played come up with new schedule and Olympic probably not be played so

201 - 220 of 261 Posts