1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I’m surprised they think it’s safe to assume it will go ahead in September - isn’t that when we expect number of cases to increase again post potential summer dip?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,251 Posts
Honestly I am going to take that September 20th starting date with a huge grain of sand. To say I am dubious would be understating matters. However one thing this announcement definitely does mean is that Roland Garros WILL NOT be played before that September 20th date. There will absolutely be no Roland Garros starting in May. That basically means the entire Spring clay court season is not going to happen in any form at all.

The earliest we could see tennis now is at the start of the grass court season in mid June. Have to say though, I consider that possibility to be extremely remote (almost to the point of unexistant) as well.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
TBH, it makes more sense for them to play it in the "off season" rather than forcefully inserting itself in a part of the calendar which is so packed, since this 6 weeks of inactivity might as well be an off-season anyway, lol.

Curious to see the reactions of both tours (& players, who apparently just found out via Twitter), and of Wimbly and USO

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
THAT’S INSANE

Two weeks after the US Open (if that gets played)? No claycourt warmups?

The FO organizers must be smoking some grade A crack.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Oddly, China/Wuhan/Beijing are reporting getting back to normal social routines whilst the rest of the world is going into lockdown yet it’s now announced that the French Open will be taking place when players would ordinarily be preparing for and playing the Asian swing!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
now the question is, they say the new structures allow the tournament to be played in that period but only the Chatrier has the roof, so what this mean? They will use the courts of Paris Bercy?

·
Registered
31,007 Posts
The ATP has already reacted, still waiting for a statement from the WTA (if they're even aware of the news). That pretty much kills the WTA Asian swing.

Safe to say we aren't seeing any tennis before Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Thank you Genie's wisdom. We should all just Netflix and chill now since it is super boring now.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts