Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the greatest player in the world but what a fighter. She did Britain proud. Would be great to hear what others thought of her.

·
25,287 Posts
I have to ask. Did the "Hobbitt" (what a cool nickname) ever discuss Tolkien?

Tennis-wise what was her greatest moment? She had some good doubles results. Was she the one who upset Pam Shriver at Royal Albert Hall to help capture the 1978 Wightman Cup?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to ask. Did the "Hobbitt" (what a cool nickname) ever discuss Tolkien?

Tennis-wise what was her greatest moment? She had some good doubles results. Was she the one who upset Pam Shriver at Royal Albert Hall to help capture the 1978 Wightman Cup?
No Rollo. She did play in the 78 Wightman Cup but along with Sue Mappin lost in three sets to billie jean and tracy austin. She did however have a famous win over kathy jordan in the 80 wightman cup.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
She reached two Slam doubles finals- with Wendy Turnbull in 1983 in Australia, and 4 years later in the Mixed there with Andrew Castle... won sets both times, too. Also won the Canadian Open with Andrea Jaegar in 1983. In singles had loads of good wins over the years: Stove, Ruzici, Potter, Bunge, Kohde-Kilsh, Zvereva, Balestrat, Bassett, Garrison... I always thought she made the very best of what she was given. She was always in the shadow of first Wade and Barker, then Jo Durie and the likes of Annabel Croft.

·
Administrator
67,475 Posts
Was a very good doubles player - world class partnerships with both Jo Durie and Wendy Turnbull.
Wasn't she the only British Number One never to play a match as British Number one due to injury

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I loved when Hobbs won her first title in Indianapolis one year. She wanted it so badly, and cried when she got it. She had some very good wins and very respectable career. She and Durie were among the first players I watched progress from the juniors to a pro career. The last I heard, Hobbs lived and coached in New York.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She reached two Slam doubles finals- with Wendy Turnbull in 1983 in Australia, and 4 years later in the Mixed there with Andrew Castle... won sets both times, too. Also won the Canadian Open with Andrea Jaegar in 1983. In singles had loads of good wins over the years: Stove, Ruzici, Potter, Bunge, Kohde-Kilsh, Zvereva, Balestrat, Bassett, Garrison... I always thought she made the very best of what she was given. She was always in the shadow of first Wade and Barker, then Jo Durie and the likes of Annabel Croft.
Actually Declan it was three grand slam finals as she also reached the US Open final in 1984 with Turnbull and lost there to Navratilova/Shriver 2and 4. I think she and Castle had match points in that final against Stewart and Garrison.
I agree, she had great wins over the years and some famous ones- and really had a stranglehold on Virginia Wade. She also gave Sue Barker and Jo Durie really tough matches if she hadnt actually beaten them.
I agree she was a bit in the shadows of Wade, Barker and Durie.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was a very good doubles player - world class partnerships with both Jo Durie and Wendy Turnbull.
Wasn't she the only British Number One never to play a match as British Number one due to injury
That sounds familiar. She had a really good 1987 and reached the last at the US Open but was not able to compete and her ranking went into free fall.
Great partnerships with Durie and Turnbull. Also very effective with the great Andrea Jaeger in the summer of 83 when for some reason she did not play with Durie.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I loved when Hobbs won her first title in Indianapolis one year. She wanted it so badly, and cried when she got it. She had some very good wins and very respectable career. She and Durie were among the first players I watched progress from the juniors to a pro career. The last I heard, Hobbs lived and coached in New York.
Thats right I remember that win over Ginny Purdy in the final 646764 i think. It set her up for a good year when she had fantastic doubles results and reached the last 16 of the French Open, giving Jaeger a reasonable match there.
She has her own website which advertises her coaching and she is endorsed on it by BJK who admired the guts and determination that Hobbs always showed.

·
Administrator
67,475 Posts
Don't want to argue with a great like you Pam, but I think it was Jo Durie and not Hobbs who was the last top 50 player before Keothavong;)
Yes it was Jo Durie

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
That is right Declan, I am glad that at least you and I remember Sara Gomer.:)
i just loved both her game and her shy, laid-back personality so much. Her tour win at Aptos in 1988 is still up there if I had to make a list of my top 20 tennis moments.

And don't even get me started on Michelle Tyler! Good enough to reach 21 on the WTA rankings - she's be a household name in Britain on that alone, these days! - and with wins over Shriver, Austin and Billie Jean King (6-3 6-0!!!!)to her name, and then quickly gave it up by the age of 21 as she was fed up with the grind of the tour! A looker, too.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
i just loved both her game and her shy, laid-back personality so much. Her tour win at Aptos in 1988 is still up there if I had to make a list of my top 20 tennis moments.

And don't even get me started on Michelle Tyler! Good enough to reach 21 on the WTA rankings - she's be a household name in Britain on that alone, these days! - and with wins over Shriver, Austin and Billie Jean King (6-3 6-0!!!!)to her name, and then quickly gave it up by the age of 21 as she was fed up with the grind of the tour! A looker, too.
Man, I loved Michelle Tyler. I remember thinking she was destined for good things, and then she disappeared. The last I heard of her, I read in a magazine that she was working at Harrods in London!

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Man, I loved Michelle Tyler. I remember thinking she was destined for good things, and then she disappeared. The last I heard of her, I read in a magazine that she was working at Harrods in London!
She took a break from the tour and took a temporary job in the sports department at Harrods, and basically didn't go back!! There was a farewell interview in a British magazine that I may have kept-I'm going to look out my old tennis magazines this weekend. Basically I was never able to find out what happened to her until fairly recently until I saw that she had gotten married and still played tennis for her local club in Catford, South London. And yes, she really was destined for good things, but didn't really want it badly enough!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yes I was converted to her the week I went to Eastbourne and she reached the under 21 final against Carling Bassett and lost 2 and 3 I think. She was such a fine player and that win over the final against Fairbank was great.
And Tyler had a brief but really excellent career. Those wins were fantastic and she was about the only player to beat BJK easily in 77 apart from Evert. And after beating Austin at Eastbourne she really gave Navratilova a hard match 75 63. Yes she was model material looks wise.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She took a break from the tour and took a temporary job in the sports department at Harrods, and basically didn't go back!! There was a farewell interview in a British magazine that I may have kept-I'm going to look out my old tennis magazines this weekend. Basically I was never able to find out what happened to her until fairly recently until I saw that she had gotten married and still played tennis for her local club in Catford, South London. And yes, she really was destined for good things, but didn't really want it badly enough!
It is a real pity that she didnt keep going. I think the game in Britain would have benefited. She would definitely have made top 20 and while not quite as good as Barker she would have given her great support and taken the pressure of Barker a bit. Later on she would also have been a great support and pressure reliever for Jo Durie and Annabel Croft. I am sure she was better than Croft but not Durie.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts