Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
62,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted it on insta today.
Petko and Coco V. , McHale, King and Dushevina have already reacted.
One of my all-time fave tennis players.
Goodbye ALG :wavey: :hug:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Career high 14, 1 WTA title, 1 RG QF and 1 USO R4.

Her career high in doubles was 7 with a total of 17 titles.

·
Registered
39,156 Posts
So sad ALG‘s singles promises could never be fulfilled with that psycho coach of her‘s. She really struggled mentally and with her shape for many years. Always enjoyed doubles much more than singles. Became very fit towards the end of her career. Has two mixed slams as well. I think she can be proud and I‘m happy she can now trust men again after her wedding.

Happy retirement! :)

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
Sad. Rafael Font de Mora was her ascent and her doom at the same time.

Seen as the next Anke Huber with great expectations, his psycho games and obsession in losing weight took their toll. She is the best player from my district since Bettina Bunge (who grew up in South America, so ALG is probably the best ever). Wish her a happy retirement and afterlife.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
She was one of the promising young players circa 2006 along with Safarova, Chakvetadze, Mirza. It's not easy being a top doubles player either so she can be very proud. Happy retirement.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
All the best for the future :) We will never know what kind of career she would had, if she never met de Mora or if she didn't injured in 2005 against Sharapova.

However, in the end she was a solid/good double player and won two Grand Slam titles. It was nice to follow her during the last years.

·
Registered
52,981 Posts

·
Registered
52,981 Posts
Sad :sad:
But we knew her time to retire would come soon.
Anna-Lena is old for a tennis player, had a long career and wants to have a family now.

Her coach Font de Mora was a blessing and curse at the same time.
Font de Mora brought Anna-Lena to her biggest success in tennis (however only for a short time), but also he treated her badly and destroyed her as a person. It took Anna-Lena a long time to recover from it. And her singles career was over then.

Overall Anna-Lena had a successful career.
But I wished she had more/longer focused on singles where she could have achieved more. Her peak in singles was quite short. Too short for me.
In my opinion Anna-Lena focused too early only on doubles and left singles too early. But I guess that had a reason. Because Font de Mora destroyed her mentally and she never recovered (in singles) from this. Anna-Lena needed (mental) help/support on court which was only possible in doubles. In singles you are alone on court.
Oh well, at least she could show her talent in doubles then in the last years.

Anna-Lena also was a loyal Fed Cup player. She loved to play for Germany. She was always available to play. I have high respect for that. Thank you, Anna-Lena!

Anna-Lena was one of the nicest players from what I saw in the interviews. Always friendly, respectful and down-to-earth. Never arrogant or stuck-up. A good role model in behaviour.

All the best for your future, Anna-Lena! :)

·
Registered
52,981 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'll always remember her partnership with Patty Schnyder in doubles, towards the end of Schnyder's career, and how fun a duo they were to watch. Really thought she would be an ascendant player when she cracked the top 20 at (what seems now) a young age.

A lot of players in the late 90s through mid 00s had career highs in the top 20 at age 18, 19, 20 or so and then radically fell off the map. I'm curious if that's a statistical fact or I was just more aware of players in that ranking range after the advent of the internet. Gronefeld, Daja Bedanova, Elena Bovina, Iroda Tulyaganova, even Daniliidou to some extent, all broke through in that age range and never made it back.

Glad she gets to retire on her own terms, and glad she's able to look back on her career as fulfilling a dream.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
One of my faves and one of the last active players to have played doubles with my all time fave Navratilova.

She's still ranked 11 in doubles and has won over $500K this year so still has a viable career but it looks as though she doesn't want to delay motherhood any further. I wish her every happiness for the future.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
It feels like just yesterday when I saw her for the first time at the Hopman Cup and started following her career intently. Unfortunately the potential she showed at that time largely went unfulfilled due to reasons beyond her control. Still, Anna built a long and successful career on her own terms in doubles, and she has plenty of singles highlights to be proud of. It will be sad to see her out of the game, but I wish her all the best for this new chapter of her life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts