Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is she still playing? has she withdrawn? whats happening? has anyone heard anything???

and if somebody can give me the phone number to the tournament it would be greatly appreciated :D

:wavey:

·
Registered
999 Posts
As of this article (yesterday) looks like she's still supposed to show up! Here ya go.....I'll find the tourney # for ya :)

This town is ready for Anna fever

By Jerry Ratcliffe / Daily Progress sports editor
May 10, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron Manilla, the veteran director of racquet sports at Boar’s Head Sports Club, instantly became the hero of every red-blooded American male within shouting distance of Charlottesville this week when he announced that Anna Kournikova is coming to town to play tennis.
The 21-year-old Russian Super Babe will compete in the Boyd Tinsley $25,000 USTA Women’s Tennis Championships at the Charlottesville club, next week. Up until Manilla’s announcement, Tinsley, a member of Dave Matthews Band, had created all the excitement. Now, it’s all about Anna.
A former Wimbledon finalist and once ranked No. 8 in the world, Anna has never won a major tennis tournament. Her fans don’t care. They’re there to see her curves, not her serves.

One explanation

How else can you explain that she earns millions of dollars each year in endorsements, much more than she earns on the tennis courts. It is a fact that tournaments that she bypasses have 30 percent less attendance. Her matches are always sold out and no matter her ranking, she often bumps higher ranked players off center court so that she gets center stage.
No one is complaining except her competitors.
“Kournikova coming to the tournament adds a whole new dimension plus excitement,” said Manilla. “People rave about her looks but she’s a good player, ranked [72nd] in the world.”
All this excitement is a tennis director’s dream. Manilla hopes to expose the sport to people who have never picked up a racquet and hopefully inspire them to get out and play.
Only problem is, where’s he gonna put all the people? The city has been buzzing ever since the news broke about Kournikova. Manilla is getting his wish. People who aren’t even tennis fans are hoping to get a peek at Anna, part tennis star, part celebrity, part model.
“Because matches are played mostly during weekdays, kids are in school and a lot of people will be at work,” said Manilla.
This columnist has a hunch that a lot of people are going to be playing hooky next week.
“Geez boss (cough, cough), I don’t think I can make it in today (cough, cough). Don’t know where this came from all of a sudden (cough, cough).”
“I imagine we’ll see some great crowds,” said Manilla. “We have bleachers. UVa and Farmington have helped us out.”
Hmmm, wonder if you could move Anna’s matches to Scott Stadium? Nah, Al would never go for it.

Plenty of chances

The good news for tennis fans, or just Anna fans, is that as long as she continues to win in the Tinsley tournament, she could play every day through Sunday’s finals. So, if you miss her one day or can’t get in, you have a shot the next day. Maybe you could pitch a tent like UVa students do for the Wahoos game against Duke.
Considering that the No. 2 seed in next week’s tourney is
ranked No. 171 in the world, I like Anna’s chances.
As of this writing on Friday, Anna had advanced to the quarterfinals of the Cloisters Cup, another $25,000 USTA circuit event at Sea Island, Ga. She needed an hour to dispatch Gabriela Volekova (6-0, 6-2) on Thursday and was to meet Sunita Rao Friday night.
This was her first USTA circuit-level event in seven years. She was awarded a wild card to play in this week’s German Open but opted for Sea Island, where she is battling to refocus on her game after suffering a torn left abductor muscle on April 9 at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C.
Some will be at Boar’s Head to watch Anna’s game. Most will be there to see Anna, the most famous and highest-paid female athlete in the world.
Certainly, Anna doesn’t mind. She was once quoted as saying, “I’m beautiful, famous and gorgeous.” No one looks better in a tennis outfit.
You watch Anna play for an hour before it incurs, ‘Maybe she needs a better backhand.’ It’s clear that AK more epitomizes the E in ESPN than the S ... Entertainment than Sports.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If she play in form, the title is for HER, GO KOURNIKOVA :wavey: :)
:wavey: K'mon show who you are ANNA

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Hmmm .. somehow I missed that Wimbledon final Anna played in. The 30% lower attendance when she does not play is also slightly suspect, since in 2001 when she was out injured for several months, many tournaments set attendace records. I don't think this writer is very familiar with tennis!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I guess she must be competing, I mean its probably too late to withdraw now (me saying that will probably have resulted in her withdrawel). Either way its a good thing to me. If she plays she gets match practise, if not she gets must needed rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts