Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the TV on in the background listening to daytime's number one soap when the long-time character Paul Williams (the investigator) was asked by his fiancee if she could bring him anything from his old apartment and he said
"What? Like my life-sized poster of Anna Kournikova"?" Also saw a Saturday Night Live skit the other night with pictures of Pete Sampras and a part about Kournikova. With all this and her video with Enrique she is really getting into the American consciousness deeply especially when you get mentioned on a fictional daytime series.:D

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
Martina Hingis was once mentioned at the Veronica's Closet show... or whatever that show was called.... :rolleyes: :bounce:

·
Registered
621 Posts
You guys are really the limit!

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Cool! Nice to see women's tennis getting some publicity!;)

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
lol i saw that episode of Veronica's Closet. One of the actors was watching tv and said "Martina Hingis does suck on clay".

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
You mean Sandrine's last name?;)

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
*sigh* @ Veronicas closet :rolleyes: :(

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Martina has been mentioned one time on Friends too! (Don't know if they meant Hingis or Navratilova), but is was when Chandler and Monica were playing against Chandler's boss and his wife. Of course Monica wanted to win, and after a good ball from Monica, Chandler says: "Easy, Martina!"

I thought it was SO FUNNY!:D :D :D

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
lol! yeah, I remember that one!!! it was sooo cool! I think C meant Martina H. Coz Martina was #1 player then, and Monica kinda looks like Marti! it was soo cool! Mon was wooping C's boss' butt! ;)

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Venus was mentioned on Will and Grace. Will was pretending to be a professional tennis player at a party (instead of a lawyer, which is what he is), so Grace teased him and called him Venus.:cool:

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Martina Navratilova appeared on an episode of Will and Grace and Martina Hingis was on Politically Incorrect (I love Martina's non-pc attitude so she is perfect for that show) and she was on charlie Rose. The Willies, Andre and Pete were on the Simpsons.

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
lol i saw that from friends...."easy martina!" hehehe...

i thought it was so funny too...

in will and grace they've mentioned tennis players more than one time alrEady...there was even this episode where karen was having a crisis and she was looking back at the things that happened and martina navratilova was there in a bar.....and everyone was asking karen to marry them....including martina n.

that was soo funny....especially since martina said "but karen, i was straight before i met you...."

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Yep Venus and Serena were both mentioned on "Passions" about a year ago. There is a leading character on the show.. "whitney" who is a pro tennis player. Her dad, one episode said something like.. "How did your practice go with Venus and Serena Williams", or I think it was something like.. if you want to be as good as Venus and Serena u need to practise. Anyhow I was shocked and quite pleased when I saw the episode..:)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Venus and Serena appeared in the Simpsons as well... along with Pete and Andre. They were cartoonised! :eek:

And Venus and Serena appeared on Hollywood Squares as well :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Monica and Ross' Dad on Friends has a thing for Steffi Graf.

I think the writers must like Steffi - she gets a mention on a few occasions. Also Chandler calls Monica "Martina" when she gets to competitive whilst they are playing his boss in one episode!

----- Confessions of a sad Friends Fan Part 1 :) ------

·
Registered
26 Posts
lol i saw that from friends...."easy martina!" hehehe...

i thought it was so funny too...

in will and grace they've mentioned tennis players more than one time alrEady...there was even this episode where karen was having a crisis and she was looking back at the things that happened and martina navratilova was there in a bar.....and everyone was asking karen to marry them....including martina n.

that was soo funny....especially since martina said "but karen, i was straight before i met you...."

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
She is now part of the american culture. At my job she is the only tennis player my co-workers can name. They refer to venus and serena as those sisters and Andre as that guy who was married to Brooke Shields....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts