Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
BrianII, I don't take your post as an attack.. you make some very good pts.. however I was refering to ranking pts in tier 5 events..(you get 80 for winning the event) there is nothing wrong with playing tier 3 events however.

In fact after seeing the Draw in Antwerp I did wish that she played Doha instead..
But it's easy to say she made the wrong decision after seeing the draw.. Who's to say she would not have been in the same part of the draw in Doha, as she was in Antwerp.. meaning a 2nd Rd match with Monica..

Anna is playing in Mexico, a tier 3 in a few weeks, so perhaps that might give her a good chance..

Ok Rollo we will agree to disagree... I don't have a problem with peoples opinions when it comes to Anna just as long as the facts are reported correctly ;) and of course it is not a bashing post (but I tend to leave them alone these days)

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
A. "I'd like to see Anna play somebody who's clever or has some game, but who also has weaknesses. That way, when things get tense, we'll be able to see if Anna can get it together and use her superior athleticism to attck their weaknesses. Someone like Rita Grande or Alex Stevenson."

How about Dementieva, a better player than either Rita or Alex?

How about holding her own in two straight tiebreakers?

B. No matter how many tournaments Anna plays, only 17 count, so she could play 40 tournaments and still only 17 would count. There goes that argument.

I swear, some of you people are so friggin' stupid when it comes to being objective with Anna. I can understand it but I'll never accept.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
ajayares said:

Sure she has not beaten any of the top 10 players she has played this year.. but that does not mean she does not have a chance against them.. and it does not mean she is going to draw them in the 2nd rd of every tournamnet she plays.. As for drawing Venus or Monica next week in Dubai in the 2nd rd, well there is 25 % chance that she will.. So that is not a given, is it..

GUESS WHAT ajayares????? Kournikova just draw Venus in the 2d-round at Dubai !!!!!!

""Dubai-"Anna Kournikova must wonder what she has to do to stop coming up against Venus Williams at the start of a tournament. Williams, who is playing Antwerp, is the top seed at the Dubai Tennis Championships and has a first round bye but for the second time in as many events the Russian is in line to face the reigning Wimbledon and US Open champion.

In a match between two wild cards, Kournikova will take on Tunisian Selima Sfar first up and the winner will play Williams. Sfar did well in Dubai twelve months ago when she reached the quarterfinals.

Second seed Monica Seles has a first round bye and her first opponent will be either a qualifier or Tatiana Poutchek.

Three Australians are also in the main draw. In a repeat of their first round match from the Australian Open this year Alicia Molik will play Tatiana Panova. Last year's semifinalist Rachel McQuillan who received the third wild card, will take on Tina Pisnik while Nicole Pratt plays Emmanuelle Gagliardi for the right to play third seed Amelie Mauresmo."-From Cross Court Tennis.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
I agree with Joao

Pts aside there is such a thing as the benefits of a winning streak or winning a tournaament on your confidence!! How can she build confidence when she is playing one and out or playing 2 matches and out?? She has mental issues and I don't think losing in the first and second round 5 or 6 straight times hoping for that one big win over a top 10 player is going to help her fragile mental situation.

Playing at smaller tier events might not gain her more points but it would sure give her some experience at playing in semi-finals and finals. Maybe even some experience with handling the pressure of being expected to win.

Forget points it would seem to me that Confidence should be her motivating factor, right now!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well I think she 's scheduled to play Acapulco (tier III) instead of Scottsdale (Tier II)...... that might be what she needs to build some confidence up! Hopefully she will stick to that decision and won't change her mind at the last minute and end with a WC at the State's farm!!!!!

·
Registered
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Disposable,
I don't know what Amelie said to cause you to make this bitter comment, but she did take Venus to the limit just last week -- by that I mean she actually won a set, & then took the 3rd set to the very limit. So if Amelie said she can hang with Venus, that remark would not be outside the bounds of reality.

However, I don't have any idea how Amelie comes into this. Regarding the actual topic of this thread, we will get further evidence next week to show whether Anna is delusional or not.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
janie, I think we just got further evidence. Venus just beat a solid top 10 player by almost an identical score as the one with Anna.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
joao said:

GUESS WHAT ajayares????? Kournikova just draw Venus in the 2d-round at Dubai !!!!!!
What's your point??? You seem to think that Anna was going to draw Venus or Monica for sure.. I said it was a possibility.. in fact a 25% chance... but that is using the theory that she would have to meet a seed in either the 1st or 2nd rd. but really the odds are actually longer. becuase in the first rd she had a 4/27 chance of drawing a seed.. and then it depends on if, she drew the seed or not.. since she didn't, the odds in the 2nd rd of Anna drawing Venus was 1/8 as there are 8 seeds..

Anyway the fact is that Anna has drawn her doesn't mean she has made a bad decision in playing this event..

As I said before it is easy to say "I told you so" after seeing the draw..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Umm Why do you doubt she will play Mexico??

She is actually on the commitments list for that event. unlike the others.. such as Doha..

If Anna says she is going to play an event she will.. she doesn't come up with Mickey mouse excuses like some other players have in the past.. (unless she has a REAL injury)

Plus she is only playing more than likely due to her sponser, therefore she will not be pulling out..

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
I don't doubt it ajayares-relax:) Lots of things can happen, that's all, especially playing as many weeks as she has been. I just agree with some posters who said Anna should be playing lower tier events(where she might actually win one) and get victories, confidence, and momentum. Why not save the larger tiers for Miami, where a large draw at least gives her a better chance of drawing a nonseed early? Or if was playing Dubai, why not do what Seles did-and play them both(Doha and Dubai)?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Umm.. She is not really going to have a chance of better draws at Indian Wells or the Lipton(as I will call it) becuase in the 2nd rd (top 32 seeds in a bye in the first) she is going to have to face a seeded players.. sure logic tells you that there is a better chance of her not drawing a top seed, but it can happen.. (But atleast Jen, Lindsay, Venus, Serena and Amelie are not playing, Kim must be doubtful aswell) So i suppose that gives her a better chance there..

But really It is No difference to playing Dubai.. or all the other events she has played in the last few weeks.. she is going to need luck in the draw.. becuase curently she has a hard time of beating the top 10 players.. anyone from 11 downwards would be good for a change..

·
Registered
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
I agree with Rollo that Anna should be playing smaller events right now. No reason to go all the way to Bogota, either; in Memphis this week the top seed is Amanda Coetzer, 2nd seed is Lisa Raymond.

ajayares, Anna did let the people in Doha down; the tournament director said she had committed to play there weeks ago; also on Amelie's site, she says that Anna changed her mind about where to play at the last minute. Here is what Tennis Week says: "We are disappointed to announce the withdrawal of Anna Kournikova from the event," a Qatar Tennis Federation official said. "She informed us that she wouldn't be able to play in Doha. Anna had confirmed her participation a long time back."
So don't say that Anna never pulls out; she also ditched Oklahoma City a couple years ago at the last minute with no reason; she does it like they all seem to do it these days. If it is one person's word against another's, it is not always Anna who is telling the truth, either, as you seem to assume.

But in Anna's defense for choosing Dubai over Memphis, when she signed up I don't think Monica or Venus were committed to play there yet; I know Amelie wasn't. Anna is 3-0 over 4th seed Testud, so it might have looked like a good bet at the time.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
janie said:

ajayares, Anna did let the people in Doha down; the tournament director said she had committed to play there weeks ago; also on Amelie's site, she says that Anna changed her mind about where to play at the last minute. Here is what Tennis Week says: "We are disappointed to announce the withdrawal of Anna Kournikova from the event," a Qatar Tennis Federation official said. "She informed us that she wouldn't be able to play in Doha. Anna had confirmed her participation a long time back."
So don't say that Anna never pulls out; she also ditched Oklahoma City a couple years ago at the last minute with no reason; she does it like they all seem to do it these days. If it is one person's word against another's, it is not always Anna who is telling the truth, either, as you seem to assume.

But in Anna's defense for choosing Dubai over Memphis, when she signed up I don't think Monica or Venus were committed to play there yet; I know Amelie wasn't. Anna is 3-0 over 4th seed Testud, so it might have looked like a good bet at the time.
Janie I know you have been waiting for my reply.. so I will not disappoint you :)

So you have a quote from tennis week.. so that must be the real story??? Yeah of course.. it might be the one that you want to believe..
Then if she was on the commitments list 3 weeks ago, then why did we not hear anything about it until the 3rd Feb??? that's 3 weeks ago is it???

Then can you explain this on the board that was posted by a member..

"I just spoke to my friend who works at IMG, and he said that the WTA knew since the beginning of the week that Serena's ankle was not 100% and could potentially pull out. In addition, the DOHA tournament was upset that no top ten player had signed up for their event, so the WTA set out to fix both problems. That is how Venus ended up playing Antwerp and Monica got convinced to play DOHA.

He also mentioned that Anna was never officially confirmed for DOHA, that it was a misrepresentation by the Press. Her name was apart of the negotiations to fulfill the request of the DOHA tournament. He also mentioned that they are still worried about Monica playing DOHA as she has told them that she is exhausted, but. That is the reason they pushed Anna to play DOHA as well, but she chose Antwerp.."

Also since she was never going to get into Antwerp on her ranking, do you think the WTA would approve a Wild Card for her to play Antwerp, if she was set to play Doha??? I don't think so..

Now to your other point - pulling out of Oklahoma City(2000) at the last minute, without a reason??

Well wrong again Janie... Yeah she pulled out of the event.. but this was a week before the event began and there was a reason for you information.. "it was due to a change in schedule"

Now I am not saying it was the right decision (but it was a week before, a bit different than withdrawing on the eve), but I know it had something to do with a sponser in mexico.. pegaso.. she was actually down there doing stuff for them and then played in the doubles exhibition.. She plays that event all the time now in Mexico (well commits to it, couldn't play last year due to injury)

As for Dubai.. Venus and Monica had committed before her.. but not Amelie..

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Just a note:

Jelena won a 2 Tier I's and a Tier II last year.

And her form so far this year has suggested she deserves her rank.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
The 2000 withdrawal from Oklahoma was EXACTLY the kind of ding-dong chase the money activity I hope Anna will put an end to. Withdrawing from an official event is understandable. There is no good excuse for withdrawing from a WTA event to play an exhibition-an exhibition where Anna, Schett and Zvereva were all trying to lose to catch early planes out.

Now before anyone thinks I'm jumping all over poor Anna, all the big stars from Chris Evert and Monica Seles on down have done similar things. Capriati(or more correctly, her father) was a big offender in the early 90's. Thank the lord Capriati learned her lesson. Maybe Anna has(or will) soon.

·
Registered
816 Posts
One for my mate Janie

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman were exploring deepest, darkest Africa when they came across a huge river. They were just wondering how they would get across when a leprechaun appeared on the riverbank (It's a long way to Tipperary - he'd got lost). "If you can get across this river without being eaten by the crocodiles" he said, "I'll give you my pot of gold..." "No problem" says the Englishman. He gets halfway across before being swallowed by an enormous crocodile. The Scotsman goes next but almost as soon as he touches the water, a croc gets him. Finally it's the Irishman's turn. Before diving in, he gets out a permanent marker and writes "Kournikova to win a tournament" on his shirt. He then dives in and swims all the way across, no problem. "Thats amazing" says the leprechaun, "How on earth did you do that". "Well", says the Irishman, "Kournikova to win a tournament.. come on, not even a crocodile can swallow that..."

;)

·
Registered
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Oh stubbsy! :cool: :D

But just as funny as stubbsy's joke is ajayares' dancing around trying to rationalize Anna's late (yes, a week's notice is late) withdrawal from Oklahoma (which left the tournament scrambling to find a replacement), because of a "change of schedule"! That is just another way of saying "Hey, I changed my mind! Deal with it!" :rolleyes:

Ajayares, each of these stories has two sides. We will never know the exact story behind them. As Rollo said, Anna is no worse than the other players in this regard -- but please don't say she is so much better, either. Face it, my tendency to believe the tournament directors is no more rotten than your tendency to believe Anna in every case. Anna is NOT A DIVINE BEING WHO CAN DO NO WRONG, she is just a very famous person with strengths and weaknesses like a rest of us. :angel:

61 - 80 of 81 Posts