Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With another young, attractive blonde tennis player (who actually wins grand slams and other titles,) Anna's contracts will start to slip from her to Maria (give it a couple of months.) That means that, in order to regain her status and $$, Anna will have to do something other than exist to keep in the public eye, and therefore get her endorsements. My prediction is that Anna will be back full time in a year or less...

·
Banned
164 Posts
Anna would love to come back, but she is currently living in a trailer park in south Florida, expecting her second set of twins in August. After that, she plans to take up paddle tennis and expects to represent some country at the Olympics in 2005 or 6 or 8.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeah her back injury should recuperate immediately as soon as she knows that Maria won Wimbledon.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
mboyle said:
With another young, attractive blonde tennis player (who actually wins grand slams and other titles,) Anna's contracts will start to slip from her to Maria (give it a couple of months.) That means that, in order to regain her status and $$, Anna will have to do something other than exist to keep in the public eye, and therefore get her endorsements. My prediction is that Anna will be back full time in a year or less...

Attractive :scared:Maria Sharapova:scared:. Who said she was attractive??? Tatiana Golovin looks like Anna Kournikova. Sharapova is attractive, but shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Anna(on looks :lol: )

·
Registered
969 Posts
I Love Sharapova

I think it would be great if Anna came back.However,in order for her to be successful she will have to focus on tennis andput modeling and acting to the side. she has already proven she is uncapable of doing all three.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This really annoys. Anna's greatest achievement was to reach the SF of wimbledon, so did Catarina Lindqvist a blond swedish player with a great back hand.

The point I make is no more time for living in the past.

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
donmt think people care as much now if anna plays or not, they have maria who actually wins matches now :eek:...whats the point if anna comes back only to lose in r1 or r2 all the time

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Like the late Marlon Brando :sad: said in On the Waterfront (Anna, in this case) "coulda been a contender" Did injuries play a big part in her not? Yes. (But when basically healthy in '02, Anna went 23-25. Justine then beat her so mercilessly @ Oz '03 that ESPN only showed the first set on replay here the next day, with Harold's Head in His Hands).

And there's a larger question here: lets Acknowledge Anna was a True Talent in the 90's. And lets Say She's Somehow more attractive than girls on many beaches, etc. (a debatable premise). Why the fuck does that mean you should root for her to win @ tennis??? :rolleyes: (Russian fans exempted on this, as she did inspire much of the next wave rising now).

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
Attractive :scared:Maria Sharapova:scared:. Who said she was attractive??? Tatiana Golovin looks like Anna Kournikova. Sharapova is attractive, but shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Anna(on looks :lol: )
You really need glasses.

Tatiana is good looking but she doesn't look anything like Anna, she dresses like Anna, there is a difference.

And regarding Maria, it's a matter of taste, one thing that always bothered me is that some Anna fan affirm she is the most beatiful woman ever and everyone who doesn't think so must be crazy or something, it's not an opinion, it's a fact.

IMO there are many players more beautiful than Anna, whose looks is very overrated: Maria, Barbara Schett, Dementieva, Lina, Jelena, Gagliardi, just for a few examples, but that's my opinion, I don't expect everyone to accept it.

Last but not least, I think it's rather sad that you have to bring the looks to make the comparisson possible, just two days ago some fans were bashing Maria saying her achievements couldn't compare to Anna's, now they can't say that and then they bring the looks (wrong because Anna losses by a long way in that department too IMO), then they'll probably will come with the endorsements.

Let me tell you something, Anna is beautiful (not the best but she is beautiful), Maria is beautiful, but in both cases, it's not their own merit, they just were born like that, now winning a Grand Slam (or a tournie) is a different matter, that's a product of effort, skills, determination, I also think it's sad that you bring something they have no control over and prefer to ignore what they can control.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Sharapova is hot, but she's not all that.
Anna Kournikova is much better looking.
Also people forget that in 2002, Anna was slowly making it back up. She just had some really bad draws (I think she drew Venus first or second round 3 tournaments in a row) and some mental let downs. But she pushed Serena to three sets, Monica Seles to three sets, took the most games off Venus at BOTW, was a point a way from the final at Acura, and had a few good top 20 wins. She just needed time thats all.

If she can get over her mental battles, and stay healthy, she's still a top 10 talent.

People are really too harsh on Kournikova, its really not fair.

Look at Nadia Petrova, Kournikova has done more than Petrova ever did, but no one says anything about her not winning a title.

I don't consider myself a fan of Anna, but she has a beautiful game and is extreemely talented. People thought she'd get to #1 for a reason. If she had the mental toughness of Sharapova, she would've gotten there too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't think she is coming back... maybe yes in a year but I definitly do think she is touched in some way ;) she must be re-thinkin the possibility of a come back... I think every woman in WTA is touched in some way with this winning.. ;)

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Anna Kournikova is much better looking.
why don't you change that to?

In my opinion Anna Kournikova is much better looking. You are stating it as a fact,

The sun is hot, that's a fact,

Bill Gates is rich, that's a fact,

Anna Kournikova is beautiful, that's an opinion.

Anna Kournikova is better looking than Maria Sharapova, that's also an opinion that I don't share.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
well, in my mind, and my post, it is fact
so that would be my opinion :)

but that wasn't the point of my post.

I really hope Anna comes back. She works so hard on the court, she just needs to work on her mental toughness. I still say she's better than the Paola Suarez's of the world. I just looked at her 1998 record, and you could just tell she was going to be something special

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
err i was front row at the match in 2002 where anna took serena to 3 sets../...it was at the beginning of the year and serena was just a little rusty coming back from the off-season, this was not the serena of the latter part of the yr

serena at 50% wouldve crushed asnna that day

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Is Anna interested in coming back? How bad is this back condition? I haven't seen anything saying tennis is important as everything else she's doing.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
where has the thread starter been hiding out?

Kournikova has been losing her endorsements for a long time already. Her days of 15 million a year are way in the past. It said in Forbes that Anna made 4.5 million last year (still not bad).

Just for the record, Masha has got a prettier face than Anna (my opinion) and much longer legs (a fact).

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
I'll be very surprised if Anna comes back. She had a lot of talent and was a very good player at her peak. For a variety of reasons, her career turned out to be disappointing vis a vis that level of talent - though plenty of people would still kill for it (two doubles slams; regularly holding down a top-10 singles position; many wins over great players).

I see no reason to denigrate Anna, and she was an exciting player to watch, but it looks like her career is in the past. Let's move on, shall we?

·
Premium Member
20,395 Posts
Everyone is just assuming that she just decided to quit. Perhaps her injuries are just preventing her from coming back. It's not uncommon, sadly Anna's generation has lost many great talents too early due to career ending injuries. Anna and Martina being the most noteable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts