Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any background knowledge of her?

All I know about her is that:

- she partnered Kazuko Sawamatsu (JPN) to win Wimbledon doubles in 1975
- won Wimbledon Juniors in 1973

I would appreciate it if somebody could give me some more detail, such as highest ranking, date & place of birth, etc. :eek:

Here are some pics of her playing days:

Ann Kiyomura Hayashi at present

·
25,364 Posts
Hi danker :wavey:

Kiyomura's win with Kazuko Sawamatsu in 1975 really put Japanese women's tennis on the map. The might have won more had Kazuko stayed on the circuit, but Sawamatsu was married late in 1975.

Kiyomura had some success in singles (I think she won what today would be a tier two event in 1981 in Tokyo)-but it was in doubles that she made her mark. She was highly ranked in dubs all the way up to 1984.

She almost always had pigtails too!

·
25,364 Posts
There was a funny incident at Wimbledon in 1981 where fans tossed cushions and programs on the court when Barker/Kiyomura were playing Russell/Ruzici in the third round. Russell and Ruzici wanted the match halted for darkness, prompting the throwing!

The next day Sue and Ann won after 20 quiet minutes. Final score: 4-6 7-6 9-7.

·
25,364 Posts
Ann was 20 when she won Wimbledon in 1975 and stood at a short
5 ft 1 inch. The pair were swamped with Japanese fans after their win that year. Ann said, "My trouble is I don't speak Japanese", being a third generation Japanese-American born in San Mateo. "I've only been to Japan once in my life. I guess I speak Spanish better than Japanese, which is too difficult to learn."

I wonder if she did learn later-because she always did well in Japan!

·
25,364 Posts
From the 1982 World of Tennis.

born 22 August 1955.
5ft 1 inch. 125 pounds.

US National 18 and under winner in 1972. Won 5 doubles events with Barker in 1981.

Year End Rank in singles

1977-15
1978-20
1979-??couldn't find her in top 100. Injured?
1980-??
1981:24
1982:30
1983:73
1984:136--ranked #9 in doubles. Got to Wim semis in dubs.

Married dentist David Hayachi in January of 1984.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info, Rollo! :wavey:

Ann does look quite cute in pigtails. ;)

Too bad she couldn't speak Japanese though, despite her popularity there. :sad:

Also what a pity Kazuko Sawamatsu retired so early. :(

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Anne was a cutie indeed. I have that 75 Wimbledon Doubles final on tape and both Ann & Kazuko played very well, proving too steady for the seeded pair of Francoise Durr & Betty Stove who were the heavy favourites to take the title after ousting King/Casals in the Semis. It looked like Betty froze on a number of occasions, making numerous unforced errors on the return of serve.

I also have some videos of Ann playing doubles with Frankie Durr in Australia against Navratilova & Stove. Ann was very steady and also a very effective doubles player as she could volley most effectively.

·
Banned
278 Posts
i remember kiyomura very well. a very feisty, intelligent player. thanks for both the pictures and the trivia.

p.s. how was sawamatsu's english? or did kiyomura attempt broken japanese?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts