Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARTICLE:

An interesting read. I feel like Asian, Latin American and African players will be the most impacted. The two-week quarantine for each tournament in a new country is just not feasible, albeit necessary. Maybe WTA and ITF should sponsor some ITF tournaments regionally to allow players to maintain their ranking; otherwise, European, North American and Australian players will improve their ranking, while others will not be able to - this is especially important as next year is the Olympics, and players like Raina are desperate to get some tournaments underway in order to have a chance to qualify. The revised ranking system will enable them to maintain their ranking for a while, but it just doesn't allow for players to go up in rankings.

·
Registered
15,795 Posts
ATP and WTA should work with the respective GS, Tier I and/or Tier II events to get the prize money watered down to smaller events for the time being and create mini swings for each country. Events should be held at the same country if not same city/venue. If the GS and Tier I is giving out millions, cut that prize money in half and create smaller events in the same venue. Examples:

Australian Swing
-1 Auckland 250K
0 Auckland 125K
1 Brisbane 500K / Adelaide 100K
2 Adelaide 500K / Hobart 250K / Brisbane 100K
3 AO / Hobart 60K
4 AO / Sydney 125K
5 Sydney 250K / Melbourne 100K
6 Sydney 80K

Cut AO prize money from 71m to 35m for combined tour to support smaller events.

Middle East Swing
6 Dubai 100K / Doha 100K
7 Dubai 250K / Doha 500K
8 Dubai 1m / Doha 80K
9 Dubai 250K / Doha 80K
10 Dubai 100K / Doha 80K

Quite certain Dubai can handle it, not sure about Doha.

Indian Wells/Miami/US Green Clay
9 Indian Wells 125K / Indian Wells 80K
10 Indian Wells 125K / Indian Wells 80K
11 Indian Wells 4m / Miami 80K
12 IW / Miami 125K
13 Miami 4m / Indian Wells 80K
14 Miami / Charleston 125K
15 Charleston 100K / Miami 125K
16 Charleston 500K / Miami 100K

Cut IW/Miami prize money to half and throw them to lead/follow up events.

Basically you are asking sponsors to sponsor the entire swing (like Emirates US Open Series).

The tour can have:

AO Swing
Middle East Swing
IW/Miami Swing
European Clay
Grass Season
US Open Series
European Indoors
Asian/China Swing

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
ARTICLE:

An interesting read. I feel like Asian, Latin American and African players will be the most impacted. The two-week quarantine for each tournament in a new country is just not feasible, albeit necessary. Maybe WTA and ITF should sponsor some ITF tournaments regionally to allow players to maintain their ranking; otherwise, European, North American and Australian players will improve their ranking, while others will not be able to - this is especially important as next year is the Olympics, and players like Raina are desperate to get some tournaments underway in order to have a chance to qualify. The revised ranking system will enable them to maintain their ranking for a while, but it just doesn't allow for players to go up in rankings.
Humm look like she should contact the WTA because Italie did waive the quarantine for tennis players ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
ATP and WTA should work with the respective GS, Tier I and/or Tier II events to get the prize money watered down to smaller events for the time being and create mini swings for each country. Events should be held at the same country if not same city/venue. If the GS and Tier I is giving out millions, cut that prize money in half and create smaller events in the same venue. Examples:

Australian Swing
-1 Auckland 250K
0 Auckland 125K
I agree with your premise, but not with those dates. It may work in Asia where Christianity is very much a minority group of religions, but you simply can't have an event which extends through the whole of the Christmas week in a country such as New Zealand. There are already major one-day sports and horse-racing events in Auckland in that period, and adding a tennis tournament would be a REALLY bad idea. It would be nearly as bad in the New Year week, which is why Week 1 (and Week 2 for the men) works really well here.

If a tournament was to be added, I would suggest the week before Christmas. That would give players who don't want to play in the ASB Classic time to go to Australia and quarantine if that's still required by the Australian authorities. What we're hoping, of course, is that players will be free to travel to Australia without restriction because they will have done a full two weeks in quarantine here. That will allow players to go straight from the ASB Classic to Hobart or Adelaide (depending on what the final calendar includes).

·
Registered
5,727 Posts

Australian Swing
-1 Auckland 250K
0 Auckland 125K
3 AO / Hobart 60K
4 AO / Sydney 125K
6 Sydney 80K

Middle East Swing
6 Dubai 100K / Doha 100K
7 Dubai 250K / Doha 500K
8 Dubai 1m / Doha 80K
9 Dubai 250K / Doha 80K
10 Dubai 100K / Doha 80K

12 IW / Miami 125K

Basically you are asking sponsors to sponsor the entire swing (like Emirates US Open Series).

The tour can have:

AO Swing
Middle East Swing
IW/Miami Swing
European Clay
Grass Season
US Open Series
European Indoors
Asian/China Swing
I agree with what you are saying and not just for coronavirus reasons - tennis's appalling carbon footprint would be reduced if players took fewer flights, especially transcontinental ones and effectively based themselves in different parts of the world at different times of year.

The grass season, for instance, already integrates well between ITF and WTA because of the series of $100k grass ITFs that have grown up around the WTAs to supplement them. RG similarly has a series of lead up ITFs in places like St Gaudens and Cagnes-sur-Mer which are also in France. Australia/NZ has improved in terms of connecting its ITFs to the WTA season better.

Looking at what is left of the ITF season now, so many are cancelled to the end of the year, it is looking very threadbare and it looks like only a handful will be held, if that.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

Australian Swing
-1 Auckland 250K
0 Auckland 125K
3 AO / Hobart 60K
4 AO / Sydney 125K
6 Sydney 80K

Middle East Swing
6 Dubai 100K / Doha 100K
7 Dubai 250K / Doha 500K
8 Dubai 1m / Doha 80K
9 Dubai 250K / Doha 80K
10 Dubai 100K / Doha 80K

12 IW / Miami 125K

The tour can have:

AO Swing
Middle East Swing
IW/Miami Swing
European Clay
Grass Season
US Open Series
European Indoors
Asian/China Swing
It could make sense IF the prize money would be given directly by WTA, that is not the case.

·
Registered
15,627 Posts
Humm look like she should contact the WTA because Italie did waive the quarantine for tennis players ,

That was a claim by the tournament (their interpretation of the rules).

The the Italian government didn't announce any guarantee for athletes and in fact ordered a bunch of cyclists who came back from Romania to self isolate for 14 days. So there was no guarantee that Halep would have escaped the same fate.

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
That was a claim by the tournament (their interpretation of the rules).

The the Italian government didn't announce any guarantee for athletes and in fact ordered a bunch of cyclists who came back from Romania to self isolate for 14 days. So there was no guarantee that Halep would have escaped the same fate.

Yes , I know but the players did in Palermo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts