Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
27,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, surprisingly Angie took a WC into Zhengzhou next week. Which I assume is a good thing? She has barely played since Wimbledon. To be honest, she played like two weeks (Mallorca+Eastbourne) since April. :hysteric:

On the other hand, who knows how she will perform. Please improve Angie :hysteric:

Scheduled to play Zhengzhou, Osaka, Wuhan, Beijing, Zhuhai? for the rest of the year...

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I just can't find any fs to give about this season. It is the worst I've seen her play ever (except the 2017 Sydney loss to Kasatkina, which we'll just forget about forever...please).

She needs an offseason. I'm glad she's trying to play a bit more as it shows she's somewhat hungry, and maybe she'll even test some things about so she can decide what to work on before the offseason begins.

But really, offseason.

According to Bild, Angies new Coach is Dirk Dier.

I guess this is the end then.
Just googled. Jeez, she really wants to take another gamble :-\ She wasted the first half of this year and she can't afford any big gaps like that again. She's not getting any younger.

·
Registered
27,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she's really hiring Dirk Dier then it is indeed over. :lol: Maybe he'll just join her team for Asia though, so she has someone by her side and then gets someone in the off-season? Then it probably doesn't matter.

·
Registered
17,450 Posts
If she's really hiring Dirk Dier then it is indeed over. :lol: Maybe he'll just join her team for Asia though, so she has someone by her side and then gets someone in the off-season? Then it probably doesn't matter.
Well, at the end of the day, for now that's probably for the best, the season is nearly over and it's a plus, that she knows Dier, so they can quickly start the relationship without getting to know each other. And well, maybe it fits in the end, who knows.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
A little surprised Angie took a WC for Zhengzhou :speakles: perhaps she hasn't totally given up on this season and taking the necessary steps to prep for next year? :shrug::cheer:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Apparently, Dier and Angie will only work together for the rest of the season. She really seems to be waiting for a good coach to become available in the off-season:SNE:
I'm still hoping it's going to be Bajin

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I wasn't in the mood to post after Angie's USO loss, but I must comment on this now:

I also pray that Dirk Dier is only an interim coach for China/Japan :tape: If she also hires him for the next season, I see her career coming to an end soon. I guess, having someone to "support" her for the Asian tournaments right now is ok, but pleeeease leave it at that, Angie!!!

Not sure if she should play all the Asian events considering the form she is in, but whatever... It would surprise me if she beats China-GOAT Riske. Probably the worst draw she could get as a seeded player. But I mean, if you can't even beat Mladenovic on HC in 2019, there isn't that much hope anyways unfortunately :eek:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Oh, how bad can he be? *Googles*

Dirk Dier, former ATP player.
Career record: 6-18
FO: 1R
Wimby: 1R
USO: 2R
Highest ranking: 158
Dier made just one quarter-final during his career on the ATP Tour, which was in the 1996 Bermuda Open.
He is now the coach of Anna-Lena Grönefeld.

:| Good lord...
Angie, I'll quit my job and coach you. You'll probably get the same results :eek:h:

Hopefully, it's a temporary arrangement until she gets someone suitably qualified with knowledge of and experience with the WTA. At least she has someone there to support her. It's good also that she wants more matches rather than shutting down her year.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into that coach. Probably a temporary arrangement. Considering all the time she's taking to hire a coach, it can mean she's really trying to select someone that will work OR that she just doesn't care that much. Hope for the former but believe more in the later.

I have this fantasy where she works with Graf and this stupid ideas where she hires Hingis or maybe even Radwanska.

·
Registered
17,450 Posts
Oh, how bad can he be? *Googles*

Dirk Dier, former ATP player.
Career record: 6-18
FO: 1R
Wimby: 1R
USO: 2R
Highest ranking: 158
Dier made just one quarter-final during his career on the ATP Tour, which was in the 1996 Bermuda Open.
He is now the coach of Anna-Lena Grönefeld.

:| Good lord...
Angie, I'll quit my job and coach you. You'll probably get the same results :eek:h:

Hopefully, it's a temporary arrangement until she gets someone suitably qualified with knowledge of and experience with the WTA. At least she has someone there to support her. It's good also that she wants more matches rather than shutting down her year.
His ranking doesn't mean anything. You don't need to be a good player to be a good coach.

Fissette made it to #1291, so there you go.
Dier is experienced, but obviously not on pro level. But Beltz wasn't either. Actually, they are pretty comparable.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
His ranking doesn't mean anything. You don't need to be a good player to be a good coach.

Fissette made it to #1291, so there you go.
Dier is experienced, but obviously not on pro level. But Beltz wasn't either. Actually, they are pretty comparable.
Yes but he has not much to show in terms of coaching results either...

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
As long as she finds someone who clicks with her mentally then anything is possible :eek:h: :cheer:

Hingis? :cat: Perhaps Martina can give her a few tips on taking the ball ultra early - especially those heavy loopy balls that will keep coming to her backhand wing :lol: :cheer:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Expecting nothing (Riske in China :hysteric:) but it's good to see she wants to play more matches - she's caring way more than I give her credit for :lol:

Didn't Dier have a good-but-short run with Petkovic in 2015? All your "This is the end" claims make me feel sad, I don't want to think this partnership could be that much worse :bigcry:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
It doesn't need to be the end.

If she can rediscover the passion for the daily ins and outs of training, boring R1 matches on parking lots, travelling etc, she can totally do some damage. She has the tennis in her still.

But yeah, who could blame her for feeling fatigued mentally and emotionally?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tough draw to get Riske in 1R. But if she makes it, I think she can get through Bertens, who is also slumping a little. SFs here would be a successful tournament, maybe further though.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
What you guys think about Tursunov as coach? I've heard she doesn't demand German or Polish anymore and he did a good job with Aryna. If he teacher Angie to go to the net it would be awesome

·
Registered
27,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All your "This is the end" claims make me feel sad, I don't want to think this partnership could be that much worse :bigcry:
It's an exaggeration I guess. :D I'm sure Dier is a solid tennis coach. He's been working for the German Tennis Federation for ages, he's been Rittner's and Gerlach's co on the Fed Cup team, he worked with youngsters and at academies. And in the end, there's only so much a coach can do. I'm also not someone who's totally obsessed with famous coaches as their influence is... debatable in the end.

I think it's more about what impression such a partnership creates. When she hired Fissette we all knew that she still had some hunger left in her. It was such an unusual move for her and it came at a time when we didn't know what to expect. If she really hired Dier for a long-term arrangement I would think the exact opposite.

But... it now has been confirmed that he will only travel with her in Asia. I have no idea if she genuinely believes he could do something for her game or if she just wants to shut the critics to shut up (because German press and Rittner and Becker really "attacked" her for not having a coach and totally blew this out of proportion).

There are rumours about a partnership with Bajin for next year. He fits into her profile and he gave a very strange interview with Eurosport during the US Open. When asked about a possible Kerber job he said he doesn't want to comment on this and that he promised Kiki to stay until the end of the year and stuff. I don't know, I think it's possible that Angie and Bajin had some contact but I don't know.

Anyway, she plays tomorrow at 7pm local time vs Riske.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts