Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
27,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here we go. Toronto is starting next week, Angie will be the #12 seed. After that she's scheduled to play Cincinnati and the US Open.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here's hoping for better success in America :cheer: She's had a disappointing swing the past 2 years so hopefully that changes.

·
Registered
27,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck Angie. That Andreescu match was actually NID in Canada. But honestly, I can even see her flop to Kasatkina if this still plays super slow. :lol:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Angie can basically flop to anyone if she still has the mindset from Wimbledon. That was some embarrassing (bad) pushing there... Kasatkina and especially Andreescu can be annoying af with their spin for sure. I don't expect anything from Angie in Canada tbh.

She also probably won't hire a new coach until the season is over. She takes her time and that's ok I guess. I hope she'll have a good prep for the next season then! At least, in an German interview she said that her new coach doesn't need to speak German, she must just "understand" him/her...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Kasatkina is normally a horrible draw for Angie but she's so underwhelming this year that who knows. Kerber is quite bad also, so it probably won't be pretty to see. If she gets to R2 she'll face an extremely hostile crowd. Does anyone remember the last time with her? I don't know how she takes it.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Toronto usually plays super slow and has an awkward bounce for a HC so I wouldn't expect a great run from Angie either way unless she plays at 100%.

The draw is not as bad as it looks on paper - Kasatkina's form is DIRE, Bouchard doesn't care anymore, Andreescu must be rusty and she's always been a player that needs to get some rhythm in order to start putting those good runs together (which is why I think she will become a peaks and valleys player considering how injury-prone she is), Bertens just lost to Teichmann and needed three sets to beat a coachless Angie in Singapore, Pliskova can peak but she can also lose to 2017 Angie. I'm not concerned about Angie's draw - I'm concerned about her own level.

·
Registered
27,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Angie's is playing the second match of the Night Session today, probably around 9pm local time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Loving the US time difference :rolleyes:
Anyway, tricky match to start into the HC season. Kasatkina has always been a difficult match-up for Angie, so tonight will probably be a food test, especially on that weird Toronto court :SNE:
Hopefully Angie can have a better US HC season than in the previous two years, and a win against Kasatkina would be a promising start :D

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
Watching her, without that spark in her eye, hitting error after error, I don't know. I guess we've been there before, but still, it's different this time.

May come what come. But for me as a spectator, I don't see the point of watching anymore, and having this feeling...hurts.

·
Registered
27,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if it's that much different to be honest. Matches against Kasatkina have been ugly in the past, especially if she's that low on confidence. And her recent statements regarding her coaching situations were basically an admission that she's more or less tanking the rest of the season. We just don't know if things are magically getting better again next year. What she pulled off in 2018 should not be taken for granted so I don't know, maybe that's what we have to cope with from now on :lol:

That said, I didn't see the match so I can't comment on her performance. From looking at the point-to-point summary,I noticed that once again she blew plenty of GPs which is what she always does against these kind of opponents.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To me, it‘s not worrying that she lost today, it‘s worrying that she seemed totally fine with it. In 2017, she may have played worse, but at least she got pissed and gave a bad handshake, which showed us that she actually cared about winning the match. This year, she looks emotionless on court and it seems that the match is completely out of her mind as soon the matchpoint has been played :sad:
Hopefully she'll get a coach that brings up the fire in her again and motivated her.

·
Registered
27,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't even know the draw came out yesterday :hysteric: Well, also not hopeful but mostly because Angie herself. She beat Kontaveit earlier this year after all. But seriously, in her current shape I don't know what would've been a good draw.

Meanwhile, her outfit for USO looks hilarious. :lol:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The scoreline against Kasatkina alone shows everything that is wrong with Angie in 2019. She proved once again that she is still capable of playing very good tennis in the first set even though Dasha was a no-show there admittedly. Then she had enough opportunities in the second and third set to run away with the match, but she just messed it up somehow. So typical!!!

Three of Angie's last four losses (Bencic, Davis, Kasatkina) happened after she won the first set easily :facepalm: Can you guys remember the times when she had a 60 something (?) winning streak after winning the opening set until she lost this epic thriller to Petra in Wuhan 2016 at her first tournament as #1. Impossible to imagine something similar right now...
While Angie is far away from her physical and mental top shape in 2019, at least one can't say that she tanked this match in Canada. She tried to win by playing aggressive tennis, she just couldn't pull it off. Still much easier to take than the way she lost in Wimbledon imo.

Sorry, but the Cincy draw is great for R1 and R2 :shrug: Seriously, Angie in any decent form would definitely get past Kontaveit and Garcia ON HARD! Ash doesn't seem unbeatable right now either. As Poldo said, it's all on Angie. If she can't bring her level which seems quite likely of course, she can lose to ALMOST anyone in the draw of course...

USO outfit looks meh, but I hope to see it in a few matches at least :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cinci draw looks decent actually;)
Of course, Angie can lose to anybody, when it's one of those days, but Kontaveit and Garcia have gamestyles that Angie usually has no problems with. And the courts in Cincinnati suit her game much better than Toronto's.
Ash is tough obviously, but she isn't playing as good as she was before Wimbledon and Angie is usually able to fire herself up for these matches.
I'm not a fan of the USO outfit. Looks like a copy of Nike's 2016 edition

·
Registered
27,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, Angie appears in the doubles draw with Görges :lol: Eyes in Tokyo already apparently. They will face Klepac/Hradecka in R1.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts