Madrid
Rome
Roland Garros

Good luck Angie!

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Angie had to withdraw from Fed Cup due to illness. :( Hope she's ready for Stuttgart...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I made the trip to Riga so am rather annoyed tho I suspected something like this would happen, I bet she’ll be ok for Stuttgart but I couldn’t get that time off work so hence Riga. Oh well it’s a new city for me and it’s very nice but I do wonder when I’ll get the chance to see her live this year now. May have to go to Mallorca again for her first (and only?) match as none of the other European events work for me work wise etc and not even sure I can get that time off plus a friend from Canada will be in London that week and I wanted to spend time with her. Oh well first world problems and all that

·
Registered
857 Posts
So Angie had to withdraw from Fed Cup due to illness. :( Hope she's ready for Stuttgart...
Yeah me, too. I will be there Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday depending on the line-up and my company, as Ive been to Stuttgart before and he has not.
But of course health first, so if she isnt fit to play so be it.
It is my first WTA Event though (once attended an ATP one in Düsseldorf for the finals which Kohlschreiber won) and I would really love it if I could see her in action.

Who else is there and wants to meet for a beer or so?

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WTA Stuttgart

R1 vs Vekic
R2 vs Mertens/Kasatkina
QF vs Osaka/Wang/Hsieh

Not a bad draw but obviously we have no idea how fit Angie is. Kasatkina on clay is not something I would enjoy but the Russian has a pretty bad record so far in 2019.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Draw obviously ok, but yeah, Angie's health condition is a big question mark right now and the last two Stuttgart appearances are still in my mind, so we definitely shouldn't expect too much here :lol:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I‘ll be fine if she wins against Vekic in Stuttgart. Everything else is a bonus due to her health issues and a question mark about her current form.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Good draw (including the tricky on paper R2, considering those players form in the last few tournaments) but yeah, the last two performances in Stuttgart weren't exactly exciting and her health is a question mark.

The good thing is Angie barely has points to defend until Rome so she should be playing with no pressure on her (ok, maybe the local pressure in Stuttgart... but it's way worse in FC, look at her performance against Petra last year). Every win will count.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Angie had her press conference today and apparently she's still quite sick :[ Said she would have skipped every other tournament, is only hitting balls for two days now but cannot practice properly and had basically no clay preparation at all. Such a shame, I hope she's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Just saw her press conference and she sounds like she still has some nasal congestion and was coughing a little. She said she's not 100%. Hope she doesn't overdo it.

She was asked what superhero power she would pick and she chose teleportation :lol:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
After seeing her press conference, I have absolutely zero expectations :lol: At least she has another day off today.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope she gets to play on Thursday then, would give her another day to recover. Petkovic/SST is certainly a great draw at this tournament.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Angie couldn't have asked for a timelier withdrawal from Simona. Is the air conditioning too heavy in Porsche Arena? It's really not the best thing to play in such conditions when sick, she could end-up with a sore throat :unsure:

·
Registered
474 Posts
So first match against old buddy Andrea, not afraid about Arena conditions, but a bad cold takes stamina. What will be, will be. After all I wouldn't mind if Laura could make it again - Angie is on the road to Paris :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
She won 6:2 and 6:4 :) It was a solid win, she tried a new service motion. Now against Bertens, not sure how fit Kerber is. On clay she is definitely the underdog. However I’m already happy she won her match today.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts