Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Angie takes a little break currently, but will back in action in two weeks when the Doha tournament starts.

Also to scheduled Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami until clay season begins.
I feel like this is a really important time for Angie.

Firstly, she will be trying to back up her form and consolidate the changes she's made with Wim.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, she needs to build form now because we all know what's going to happen when the clay season starts. I literally never expect her to win a single match after 2016's clay season :rolls:

Question: Do you guys think that Wim will encourage Angie to try really hard to adapt and play on clay this season, or do you think they'll decide together that they just don't care about it anymore and it's a lost cause for her?

I'm not sure, but I've been thinking about this ever since she announced her partnership with Wim. I think she'd be quite happy to give up on clay to make Wimbledon her priority, but I wonder if as a coach Wim would be wanting her to make extra efforts to improve her clay form.

·
Registered
32,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. I feel like Angie didn't even want to be good on clay in the last years. :lol: She played so much better on clay 5-6 years ago then she did recently but it was always so much effort for her, maybe she thinks it isn't worth it? Wim is a great coach though and I think he knows what to do. On the other hand, he could not help Konta last year and I also don't remeber Kim playing much on clay in her second career.. :lol:

Let's survive the next months first though. These muddy HCs aren't that great for Angie either but Wim has that Miami streak going on.. :lol:

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I always felt Miami and IW were bad for Angie, but she did well in 2016. Even with that leg injury she managed to beat Babos in that tight match and almost take Azarenka to a tiebreak. I

I was quite impressed.

Then again, if Aga can do so well on those courts, and they seem to have similar surface preferences, I'm not sure why Angie can't! :grin2:

I'd really like to see Angie get some wins not only over top players, but also against players who beat her in 2017 when she was at her lowest. I'm thinking Makarova, Pavlyuchenkova, Kasatkina, Bouchard and the like. Of course, I'm sure Angie will be eager to avenge her zombie loss to Halep since she knows how easily she could've won the tournament if she was a bit fresher, and fix her h2h vs Svitolina.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That's kind of optimistic :eek:h:

Just hoping for the best on these slow had courts I think she could do really well but we'll see with the draws. Hopefully she can win one of those three.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
I mean its always possible she has some Woz type of insane luck and dodges all the best clay players @RG. So i guess its still worth a go. Maybe just play less going in? Unless early losses happen then no because she needs matches to get properly going.

Really no clue about Doha, Dubai, IW and Miami. I guess lots will depend how she does in Doha. If well then i can see another run coming. :)

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I mean its always possible she has some Woz type of insane luck and dodges all the best clay players @RG. So i guess its still worth a go. Maybe just play less going in? Unless early losses happen then no because she needs matches to get properly going.

Really no clue about Doha, Dubai, IW and Miami. I guess lots will depend how she does in Doha. If well then i can see another run coming. :)
Please, it is Angie. :lol:
The only time she had an okay early draw was the last two years at AO. She saved a MP in 1R the first time and met a peaking basher in the second. :SNE:

During Angie's 2 slam runs she had to deal with #1 Serena, Azarenka, who won the Sunshine Double just after, Konta, who became #4 within 16months time, Kvitova, who went on to a winning streak after, RUP Vinci, Wozniacki and Pliskova, who became #1 within the next 15 months.

During Woz's slam run she had to beat fainting Halep. :lol:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I think Angie should do well now. Wim has a big story with Miami and winning a PM would be great for Angie (sunshine double might be too much to dream but still a possibility, who knows). Clay season is mostly useless so whatever points come from there is profit already. If she wins Wimbledon early then maybe she can start thinking about a career slam, but for now clay is pretty much whatever and a dead part of the season for her fans.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I wouldn't look too much for clay, only Halep managed to have a great clay season under Fissette and she plays with a nice amount of topspin. But Angie is clay indoors GOAT :)oh:) and managed to get to the QFs in Madrid and the French and SFs of Rome so her game can quite adapt to red clay (though it hasn't happened that much since 2013). Her new serve would make her look better.

I'm so looking forward to the Doha/Miami sequence. Angie is hungry again and Wim has been successful in these tournaments.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Belarus vs Germany - Minsk, Belarus
Belarus: Aliaksandra Sasnovich, Aryna Sabalenka, Vera Lapko, Lidziya Marozava
Germany: Tatjana Maria, Anna-Lena Friedsam, Anna-Lena Groenefeld

I thought Angie would take up FedCup next, wtf is this team even? :spit: Even semi-retired Petko looks with a better chance to score a matchwin. :lol:

·
Registered
5,468 Posts

I thought Angie would take up FedCup next, wtf is this team even? :spit: Even semi-retired Petko looks with a better chance to score a matchwin. :lol:
I saw during the AO someone tweeting that she had decided not to play Fed Cup. She said she needed more time to consolidate her work with Wim. I think that's a great idea. They're bound to have some ups and downs (even though it's been almost all ups since they started).

I also think that over the next year (particularly next offseason) Wim is going to do more work on her serve :grin2: I feel like this is only the beginning!

·
Registered
32,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Rittner is gone and it seems that the new captain couldn't convince anyone to come. :hysteric: I'm expecting her to play in April though (unless it's a tie in Australia or something).

·
35,489 Posts
I'm looking forward to see how her serve will be in Doha. She couldn't really serve well in AO due to the awful weather and the sun. It will much cooler and less sunny in Doha (when the play anyway).

·
Registered
32,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice choice! She is always practising there anyway and this year she has no international restrictions:D

1 - 20 of 261 Posts