Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... seems to be the problem?

I have only seen one of her match that was against Serena. And based on that, one would think she would and should win more often. So what seems to hold her up?

She has sound techniques, enthusiasm, court sense, good net game and good hands, energetic presence on court, likeability, easy on the eyes.
When is she going to have a breakthrough?

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I think she is a young player and everything hasn't "clicked" yet. Once she finds a rhythm and feels more confident in her game I expect good things from Haynes.

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
njnetswill said:
I think she is a young player and everything hasn't "clicked" yet. Once she finds a rhythm and feels more confident in her game I expect good things from Haynes.
As I said I only saw her match against Serena, she was very sound technically.
If you have seen other matches of hers, what is her game like against players of similar ranking? It is just the rythm or something else?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
When I saw her in Berlin this year she lost nearly against Tatjana Malek(about no. 320), Malek was even better, but Haynes archived to make the deceisive points.

Then I saw her in doubles, where she was complete rubbish, she does not know, how to play at the net and her partner, think it was Caronline Schneider, was really lost out there.

She then lost her 2nd round Qualifying match very easily against Obziler (no. 125) 6-0; 6-3. So I was not impressed of her. Nothing special in her game.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I saw her match vs Serena, and Angela was playing like a top 20 player that first set. I also saw her play at a US hardcourt event, and she just could NOT get her game together. She was making lots of errors and seemed to lose every long rally she got into.

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paule22 said:
When I saw her in Berlin this year she lost nearly against Tatjana Malek(about no. 320), Malek was even better, but Haynes archived to make the deceisive points.

Then I saw her in doubles, where she was complete rubbish, she does not know, how to play at the net and her partner, think it was Caronline Schneider, was really lost out there.

She then lost her 2nd round Qualifying match very easily against Obziler (no. 125) 6-0; 6-3. So I was not impressed of her. Nothing special in her game.
It sounds like inconcistency to me. Because she did push Serena. Granted Serena was not fit. But she looked like she was on her way to top 50.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
Anybody who plays a mature all-court game like Angela does will take more time to develop. However, players like this also run the risk of not developing at all. So she might make it big and she might not...only time will tell.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
tennisbum79 said:
... seems to be the problem?

I have only seen one of her match that was against Serena. And based on that, one would think she would and should win more often. So what seems to hold her up?

She has sound techniques, enthusiasm, court sense, good net game and good hands, energetic presence on court, likeability, easy on the eyes.
When is she going to have a breakthrough?
She may not. There's a world full of technically sound players. Is that really enough to make her more than solidly top 50?

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Volcana said:
She may not. There's a world full of technically sound players. Is that really enough to make her more than solidly top 50?
The impression I got is from only one match and I listed my obersvations.
I guess, I am looking to feel in the blanks of the missing pieces. So a bteer question would be for you:
Everything being equal, what separate the ones who do from the others who don't?

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I believe it's because she goes for everything in every shot, doesn't take her time to think and just smacks the crap out of the ball. Good, but not consistent enough.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
she's hot for sure...And I generally go for blondes...

Uhm, right about her tennis. Well, she's been having a solid year thusfar. Some players never get that big breakthrough and just sneak up to no. 30 or 20. That might be Angie's route.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I really feel people are expecting too much of Angie based on that ONE match (it was the same with Maria Kirilenko last year after RG). She's definitely talented, but the thing is - LOTS of girls ranked around 100 can play to that standard at their peak. I think she'll make the top 50 eventually, but don't expect her to make massive moves immediately. Her 2005 record (below) isn't actually all that promising...there may have been an element of treeing involved at Wimbledon. Her tournaments since have been very disappointing.

Gold Coast Jan 9 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes - A Serra-Zanetti(2) 6-4 6-4
Qual 2 A Haynes - N Liu 6-4 6-3
Qual 3 A Haynes - S Rao 7-6(8) 6-3
1 A Haynes-Q - S Cohen-Aloro-LL 6-3 6-1
2 P Schnyder(2) - A Haynes-Q 6-4 6-1

Hobart Jan 16 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(4) - T Poutchek 6-1 6-4
Qual 2 A Haynes(4) - O Lazarchuk 6-3 6-4
Qual 3 C Black(6) - A Haynes(4) 6-1 6-2

Australian Open Jan 30 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(6) - E Birnerova 6-1 1-6 6-1
Qual 2 A Haynes(6) - J Jackson 6-1 6-4
Qual 3 A Haynes(6) - E Tamaela 6-4 6-3
1 A Nakamura-Q - A Haynes-Q 6-3 6-4

Memphis Feb 20 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(1) - J Stevens-WC 6-0 6-3
Qual 2 A Haynes(1) - C Scheepers 4-6 7-6(5) 6-2
Qual 3 A Haynes(1) - S Rao(7) 6-4 6-1
1 A Haynes-Q - M Irvin 6-7(3) 6-4 7-5
2 K Bondarenko-WC - A Haynes-Q 7-6(3) 7-5

Acapulco Feb 27 2005
1 D Randriantefy(5) - A Haynes 6-2 6-2

Indian Wells Mar 20 2005
1 A Haynes-WC - M Santangelo 6-4 6-4
2 M Sharapova(3) - A Haynes-WC 6-1 6-2

Miami Apr 3 2005
1 A Haynes-WC - M Diaz-Oliva-Q 6-3 7-6(5)
2 T Golovin(22) - A Haynes-WC 6-0 6-7(8) 6-3

Amelia Island Apr 10 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes - S Beltrame(12) 6-4 7-6(5)
Qual 2 M Irvin(8) - A Haynes 6-3 6-3

Charleston Apr 17 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(9) - S Uberoi 6-1 6-3
Qual 2 Y Fedak(4) - A Haynes(9) 6-3 7-5

Berlin May 8 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(4) - T Malek-WC 6-2 7-5
Qual 2 T Obziler(10) - A Haynes(4) 6-0 6-3
1 K Peschke-Q - A Haynes-LL 6-2 7-6(4)

Rome May 15 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(14) - T Sun 6-3 6-2
Qual 2 A Haynes(14) - G Gabba-WC 4-6 6-4 6-0
1 C Martinez - A Haynes-Q 6-0 6-1

Strasbourg May 22 2005
Qual 1 K Kachlikova - A Haynes(6) 6-7(2) 7-6(4) 6-1

Roland Garros June 5 2005
1 A Morigami - A Haynes 7-5 6-4

Eastbourne June 19 2005
Qual 1 M Vento-Kabchi(5) - A Haynes 6-1 6-1

Wimbledon July 3 2005
1 S Williams(4) - A Haynes 6-7(12) 6-4 6-2

Cincinnati July 24 2005
Qual 1 A Haynes(2) - T Dabek 7-6(5) 6-1
Qual 2 D Ospina - A Haynes(2) 7-6(7) 3-6 6-4

Stanford July 31 2005
1 L Raymond - A Haynes-WC 6-4 7-6(7)

San Diego Aug 7 2005
Qual 1 M Salerni - A Haynes(8) 7-5 6-3

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
She played the match of her life against Serena. I doubt she will paly that way for sometime.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
the problem is,well shown again here in this thread,that the people expect far too much too early from these young girls!!!but WHY????they have so much time to develop their potential,and if it still takes 1 or 2 years!!whats the problem with it??i think,one of the reasons is maybe the way we live our lives:anything has to go better,faster,making more money in an even shorter period!!!but to me,this is no good sign for the future..

IMO,we just should step a gear down,take a breath,and continue.
angie is not the only one,who is going through this at the moment,the same thing with eugi linetskaya,who,to me,is one of the biggest talents in recent years!what happens now:she had a great start,played some exciting matches,and then comes the "downfall".at least,many see it so!to me it isnt.it is an absolutely normal occurement!folks,these girls just need their time to develop their potential!!just let them grow,it will all come,dont worry....

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
Definitely one of my favourite players, is young Angie, but give her time to develop and she'll be right. She is still very green on the tour and finding her feet on the WTA tour full time. Next year will be a telling tale I'm sure.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Oneofakind0490 said:
She played the match of her life against Serena. I doubt she will paly that way for sometime.

Ofcourse she did....it's a Williams she was playing against. Watch her again if she ever get the chance to play against Serena again and she will play like her life was depended on it. She said if she had beaten Serena it would have done a great deal for her career. That's why players like that I have no respect for. Why not play the same way against all your opponents and not just one or two. She will never get anywhere if she only plays that way against just two players on the WTA.

·
5,032 Posts
icequeen said:
Ofcourse she did....it's a Williams she was playing against. Watch her again if she ever get the chance to play against Serena again and she will play like her life was depended on it. She said if she had beaten Serena it would have done a great deal for her career. That's why players like that I have no respect for. Why not play the same way against all your opponents and not just one or two. She will never get anywhere if she only plays that way against just two players on the WTA.
It would have done a lot for her career. Any 100 something ranked player beating a top player does a lot for there career.

Who's the other player. You say 2. It wouldn't be Venus would it :rolleyes:

You have no respect for any player except Venus and Serena and everyone knows it.

Anyway about Angela. I've seen her twice against Schiavone and Serena and have been impressed. Nice power and variety but inconsisent. Seems like she's a big match player since her results in *less* important matches are not good.

·
Banned
6,101 Posts
icequeen said:
Hater.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts