Tennis Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2569 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anett is into the third round at this year’s AO, and I guess because of her long illness since her withdrawal from the USO, it is understandable she is playing under the radar, even in this thread. If she does beat Bencic then I’m certain interest in her will pick up.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Anett won 0 & 1 ?

I knew she could win, but didn't expect that. Wonderful performance:cheer: It'll be very hard to keep performing like that, but still it means her form is as good as ever:)

Next is Iga Swiatek. Anett's a favorite here, so can't have a walkabout a la Sorribes Tormo's match, Swiatek won't let her get away with that. 5th time's a charm to get to the QF?

Also wanted to say her draw has been really good to get to the 3rd round, avoided all the very dangerous unranked players, and then of course just took the match from #7 Bencic in the 3rd.

·
Registered
10,658 Posts
Wow what a win. After R1 I had hopes up that she may reach the 2nd week. Amazing that all those months off didn't really affect her.

Anett beat Swiatek in a quite close 2 set match last year, the young Polish girl has only gotten better since then, gonna be a tough match but hopefully she finally reaches a QF.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,545
Anett won 6-7(4) 7-5 7-5! She didn't play as well as against Bencic and she had a huge collapse from 5*-1 in the third but she recollected herself really well and Swiatek didn't have anything left to give. Finally a slam QF, When she lost that lead it reminded me of her match against CSN here a few years ago. A really important result for her ranking too with Miami and Stuttgart not too far away.

Next is Halep, hopefully she comes out swinging like against Bencic.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Did not see the match but sounds like Anett had everything under control.:p

Simona will obviously be tough one but hopefully as the underdog Anett just comes out playing free.

Congrats to Anett on first Grand Slam QF:)

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Anett finally in a slam QF! Now that she's over the 4th round hurdle, why stop there. I liked how she said after the Bencic win that she has higher goals than that (reaching 4th round or beating a top 10 player).

So happy for her! I didn't see the 1st set, but in the 2nd set she was the chaser, had to really fight to keep it close, and somehow managed to win the set.

Good luck against Halep! As Anett said, she has no pressure, and is ready.

·
Registered
10,658 Posts
Great fightback being down a set and a break. Almost an awful choke later but in the end experience helped her to crawl over the finish line victorious.

Has lost to Halep twice without much chances but this AO has been tournament of revenges, hopefully Anett can add another one :)

·
Registered
22,495 Posts
I haven't been here for a while. I hope everyone is doing well. I was at the match. I have nothing more to say than that.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Anett's good form continues. 4 out of 4 wins in Fed Cup matches, including a win over #4 Elina Svitolina in 3 sets. Since the Fed Cup zonal group was held in Estonia this match was sold out :)

Next stop is Dubai.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,553
Anett played really well for most of the match, had a period where her serve went missing but she seemed to recover well towards the end of the third and Svitolina’s level dropped right off. She played amazingly to save the 7 set points in the second but her level wasn’t great then except for on those points. Came to the net a lot with great success in the first, hopefully it’s something she continues to develop going forward.

A good week in general, she played really poorly in both Doubles matches but I think that reflected her fatigue more than her actual level. The Giorgi and Svitolina wins must be good for her confidence. Probably smart of her to withdraw from St Petersburg, she has historically played really poorly in the Middle East but this year she will actually get a proper preparation so hopefully she is able to bring a better level in these tough fields!

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,554
She starts in Dubai against Cirstea, Bencic/Pavs in R2. She’s traditionally played really badly in the Middle East but she got a proper preparation this time and is in really good form so hopefully she can make a good run!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Dubai R1: Anett Kontaveit d. Sorana Cirstea (Q) 6-1 6-3

Excellent performance from Anett.:)

Pavly stole my affections first so Anett will be my second favourite in the next one but if they both play well it has the potential to be a very entertaining match.There is another option of course but I am thinking positive.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,556
Pavlyuchenkova next will be tough she’s playing really well. Anett has played some great matches against her in the past though, hopefully she can bring her best level.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,557
She got through 7-6(5) 7-5 against Pavs. I didn’t watch the match but it seemed like a good mental performance, saved set points in the second and was always down in the first. Next is Martic who has been in quite average form, so hopefully she can continue her good play and make her first SF of the year!

·
Registered
10,658 Posts
Baltic battle in Doha R1 against Sevastova, Sabalenka waits in R2.

It has been a topic in our media in past week that Anett and a rapper Reket are a couple. His car had been seen often in front of Anett's home and they were seen visiting a spa together.
Funny thing is that "reket" means "racquet" in Estonian. ?

·
Registered
10,658 Posts
Beat Sevastova 64 76(3).

Next is Sabalenka. I remember when Anett lost to her without much chances in Wuhan final she said next time she would do better against her. We will find out about that tomorrow :D

2541 - 2560 of 2569 Posts