Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mind Roddick, even as a player, but the hype around him makes me want to vomit. Granted he is talented, and the forehand and serve are booming, but geez, give me a break on all the kudos he gets. I get ill listening to the commentary, all the praise he gets, blah, blah, blah. Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I agree somewhat. I definitely think he is the future for mens tennis and not far from being the present.

However, until he wins a slam or can continually makes semi's then I think the hype is a little overdone.

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
im a big fan and i also agree
just turn a blind eye and block it out, i know you'll have to do it a lot, but hey that's media for you

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah because making 2 GS semis this year (AO, W) doesn't mean anything. Let's just face it--he's not going to do as well on clay. We can't expect him to make SF at FO with the likes of JCF or Coria. The fact that he's only lost one match since Wimbledon speaks volumes about his new-found confidence. I think he will definitely be a force to be reckoned with at the US Open and the Year End Championships (for many years to come).

·
Registered
18,664 Posts
I've been vomiting since 2000.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Gimme a break.

People always talk smack about how men's tennis has no personality or flavor. Someone from the US comes along to help change that and all some people can do is criticize. Basically, to some, men's tennis is damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
Well said, Jojo! :D

Brunof, all the hype about Andy Roddick isn't good for him. How can he possibly live up to the hype? I see him winning a couple to a few grand slam titles in men's tennis. But I doubt he will be the next Pete Sampras or the next Andre Agassi. But he will be a fine tennis player who gets more publicity than he could ever possibly need.

Incidentally, I thought Marat Safin was going to be come the next great men's tennis player. But it didn't happen for a variety of reasons. Including poor coaching and injuries. And that's why I won't get carried away with anything Andy Roddick achieves.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I know most of it is not his fault with the media hyping him, but he looks too arragont, and he is too arrogant... another thing is confidence and another thing is arrogance... Though he is almost 21, he behaves like a 7 year old. Last year he behaved like a 5 year old, so definitely he grow up a little :rolleyes: . One can see the lack of education in him... not meaning to be harsh, but I ain't gonna sweet talk if it's the truth. After tennis, after he is burned down, after the endorsments, he will have the money, but still be an immature, dumb ass.
just my 10 cents.

P.S. When he said he would buff up because the girls would like it, I'm sure it broke Jim Courier's heart... you could see it.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
God I hate Roddick, and I really hate his coach and their cocky attitude. Poor Tim, I really like him and was hoping for an upset but I really would like to see Tim win Wimbledon some day. Thats seems really random but who cares.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
It is noo different than the azzkissing that Federer gets. You know these stuffy American Journalist are gonna hype the piss outta their players (even when not backing it up.) I would've agreed with this statement about a year ago when he was bombing out in the first round of tournements, but this year the man is backing it up with some serious hardware (two straight masters series wins) and some great maturity. GO Roddick get that slam. (BTW, Andy just beat Henman in three sets!)

BTW, if you dont like Gilbert, fine. But what so called "cockiness" has Roddick even shown to be put with this label :rolleyes:

·
Chionophile
40,174 Posts
disposablehero said:
I like Roddick. I haven't seen him play much, but from what I've seen and heard in interviews he is a pretty normal guy who isn't trying to feed the hype. You could say the same for Henman.
Yes except Tim is old and likely to go slamless for the rest of his career. Whereas Andy is young and full of hope.

Go Andy!

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
CC said:
Just switch to The O.C.
lol, so we can vomit just a lil bit more?

sadist ;)

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
personally the hype doesnt bother me anymore than the shit i hear on here about maria.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.