Tennis Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yes. Right now it’s Bianca who?
Yet, there is a thread every time she is not in an event... Certainly wasn’t like that for CiCi Bellis or Vondrousova last year, or Bencic, or any other recent young player I can recall in the past decade or so...

She’s great for the sport, she’s exciting to watch whether a fan or not, and she is missed... People want to see her back, and personally I hope she hasn’t done any lingering damage to her body or pro career...

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Damn. She’s young and her body is already giving her tons of problems. Not good at all. Get well!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yet, there is a thread every time she is not in an event... Certainly wasn’t like that for CiCi Bellis or Vondrousova last year, or Bencic, or any other recent young player I can recall in the past decade or so...

She’s great for the sport, she’s exciting to watch whether a fan or not, and she is missed... People want to see her back, and personally I hope she hasn’t done any lingering damage to her body or pro career...
And there are often more replies in Bianca’s injury threads than the actual match threads for whatever tournament is going on ? . TF can’t get enough of her

·
Registered
2,559 Posts

Meh, agree and disagree. A couple things.

1. If she/her team were honest about the timeframe for her return, we wouldn't have her fans opening a thread every time she 'withdraws' from an event she quite clearly was never going to play in the first place.

2. She's a grand slam champion. If you're comparing her 'coverage' to Bellis (young, marginally accomplished, English-primary) or Vondrousova (young, accomplished, not English-primary), then reassess what 'grand slam champion' means/should mean in terms of coverage. We got a LOT of responses when Osaka pulled out of matches last clay season, and that's the benchmark you should be looking at.

3. I'd agree she's great for the sport, but I wouldn't agree she's missed. The sport has more than enough high-profile players to support a tour absent one or two of the top 10. The Australian Open didn't lack for storylines absent Andreescu, and that's become the new norm: Andreescu misses so many events that it's no longer especially noteworthy that she's missing. In that sense, she very much IS like del Potro: glad when you're there, not noticed when you're not.

Frankly, we should be glad that her absence is a non-issue. Tennis is uniquely suited to withstand absences from top players, and it's unclear Andreescu is a long-term top player. This may be a del Potro situation (promising young player cut down while on the rise) or it may be a Safin situation (mercurial player is great-if-patchy when healthy, garbage when hurt) or it may be a situation we refer to in future as an Andreescu sitation, but regardless it's a positive that tennis is healthy enough that (most) people still watch in spite of her lingering/unresolved injury problems.

Multi-polar sports for the win.

·
Registered
96 Posts

1. If she/her team were honest about the timeframe for her return, we wouldn't have her fans opening a thread every time she 'withdraws' from an event she quite clearly was never going to play in the first place.

2. She's a grand slam champion. If you're comparing her 'coverage' to Bellis (young, marginally accomplished, English-primary) or Vondrousova (young, accomplished, not English-primary), then reassess what 'grand slam champion' means/should mean in terms of coverage. We got a LOT of responses when Osaka pulled out of matches last clay season, and that's the benchmark you should be looking at.

3. I'd agree she's great for the sport, but I wouldn't agree she's missed. The sport has more than enough high-profile players to support a tour absent one or two of the top 10. The Australian Open didn't lack for storylines absent Andreescu, and that's become the new norm: Andreescu misses so many events that it's no longer especially noteworthy that she's missing. In that sense, she very much IS like del Potro: glad when you're there, not noticed when you're not.

Frankly, we should be glad that her absence is a non-issue. Tennis is uniquely suited to withstand absences from top players, and it's unclear Andreescu is a long-term top player. This may be a del Potro situation (promising young player cut down while on the rise) or it may be a Safin situation (mercurial player is great-if-patchy when healthy, garbage when hurt) or it may be a situation we refer to in future as an Andreescu sitation, but regardless it's a positive that tennis is healthy enough that (most) people still watch in spite of her lingering/unresolved injury problems.

1. Bianca and Tennis Canada members have said that she is day-to-day which is often used to classify athletes that are on the verge of returning but are not quite 100% yet. She’s said she is getting stronger every day and her team has said she won’t step on a court until she is 100% ready. Hopefully they stick to that and don’t push her to return for IW/Miami if she is only close to ready.

2. Bianca definitely should receive more coverage than Bellis and Vondrousova right now. However, her withdrawal from Wimbledon last year got almost twice as many replies as Vondrousova’s withdrawal from the US Open, even though Vondrousova had the bigger acomplishment at the time (GS final vs. PM Title). Also, expecting Bianca to receive the same coverage as someone who represents a country that has three times the population and grew up in a country ten times more populated than Canada, won back-to-back slams (one accompanied by HUGE controversy involving the GOAT), and was holding the #1 ranking is just laughable.

3. Check out her latest tweet. Also, people in the media such as Brad Gilbert, David Law, and many others have stated that Bianca’s absence changes the look of the WTA. Like her or not, you have to admit she makes the WTA better and more interesting.

Finally, if Bianca’s absence is such a non-issue why are you in almost every thread related to her ?

·
Registered
358 Posts

Great post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is how you deal with a meniscus tear and the communication that follows....

By Associated Press
Feb. 21, 2020 at 12:06 p.m. EST
LONDON — South African tennis player Kevin Anderson has had surgery on his right knee and will be out for an unspecified period of time.
The two-time Grand Slam finalist wrote on Twitter on Friday that he had surgery Wednesday on a torn meniscus.
Anderson said he injured his knee in December and tried to play through the problem at the start of the 2020 season, including at the Australian Open.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts