Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Andrea won Marco Island in 83 against Hana, then the next year she p^layes doubles only, losing in the finals against;.. Hana & Sukova

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've checked again the draw of Avon Cup-Marco Island '84, and I confirm you that Andrea was not in the singles draw, only doubles. (Source : IWT - well Inside women's Tennis).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
thanks hanafan, I just went to tennicornor, too :) Strange that she only played doubles. Maybe an injury hindered her, but she could still play a few doubles matches, I guess...
I will get back to u about the tokyo 83 next week Andy, when I get to my parents house where some of the books are. That Kobe seemed to be a very good event to be for Austin in 1982, seems like it was one of the very few perfrormances that can match her results from her prime 3 years 79 to 81. After beeing out for several month she must have thought being back on track again after Kobe / which she was not.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Mark, have you got some more memories to share of that Oakland final 1982, how was it like? I envy you for being there ... :)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

Washington Jaeger-Walsh 1R 6:2,6:3
Washington Bonder-Jaeger 2R 6:0,6:1
Oakland Jaeger-Teeguarden 1R 6:3,6:3
Oakland Jaeger-Rinaldi 2R 6:3,6:3
Oakland Mandlikova-Jaeger QF 7:6,6:4
Marco Island Mandlikova/Sukova-Hobbs/Jaeger F 3:6,6:2,6:2
Houston Jaeger-Tanvier 1R 6:1,6:0
Houston Jaeger-Casale 2R 6:1,6:0
Houston Turnbull-Jaeger QF 4:6,6:2,6:2
New York (Championships) Horvath-Jaeger 1R 6:2,7:6
Johannesburg Jaeger-Salmon 1R 6:1,6:0
Johannesburg Jaeger-Schillig 2R 6:2,6:2
Johannesburg Jaeger-Henricksson QF 6:3,6:2
Johannesburg Jaeger-Uys SF 6:1,6:0
Johannesburg Evert-Jaeger F 6:3,6:0
French Open Golder-Jaeger 1R 7:5,ret.
Los Angeles (Olympics) Jaeger-Scheuer 1R 2:6,6:2,6:3
Los Angeles (Olympics) Paradis-Jaeger 2R w.o.

Robert - A couple of other results from 84:

25/8 July Sydney Australian Women's indoor:
RR:Jaeger lost Evert 64 62, lost Turnbull 62 63, def. Anne White 62 64

2/4 April Ingelwood CA:
Final Evert def Jaeger 61 61 (there was a thrid place play-off between Bunge and Bonder which Bunge won 76 62, so I imagine Jaeger beat one of them in the semis).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Great, thanks Andy :) Only a couple of tournaments left have a questionmark behind them now:

Palm Spring 1982, in spring, Evert def. Jaeger 61 75 in the finals, was it just 1 (exhibition match) ?

Carla Blanca 1983 Jaeger beat Vanier 41ret in the QF and lost to Evert 36 26 in the semis, was that an exhibition? Vanier was not a player they used to invite for exhibitions...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Carla Blanca was in early 1983

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Hi Robert,
Have I understood? Your 63 63 Jaeger loss to Evert is in fact 63 62 and relates to Carta Blanca California in early 83? I'll check it out tonight, along with the Palm Springs question.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Hi Robert,

Are you sure your "Palm Springs" 82 wasn't the Palm Beach (Florida) Citizen Cup in April (3-5). results:
Semis: Evert d Cawley 57 61 64, Jaeger def Mandlikova 61 63. Final: Evert 76 75, 3rd place Cawley 62 62.

The doubles included Casals Turnbull and Stove, so that may mean there werer qfs in the singles (though not necessarily, obviously). Casals/Turnbull def Cawley/Stove 61 76.

Carta Blanca (28/2-6/3) :as usual (and as for the above) from "World of Tennis" :
qf Navratilova def Gadusek 61 63, King def Bunge 64 64, Jaeger def Vanier 41 rtd, Evert def Ruzici 76 61.
sf Navratilova def king 61 63, Evert def Jaeger 63 62
f Navratilova def Evert 61 63
Doubles Evert/Navratilova def Bunge/king 75 63.

The dates imply more rounds and, as you say, Vanier is hardly crowd-pulling material, so maybe she knocked out someone else. On the other hand, maybe she replaced a bigger name at the last minute. There was a regular tour event going on at the same time, so maybe this special event was run in parallel to increase crowds.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
>>>>><Are you sure your "Palm Springs" 82 wasn't the Palm Beach (Florida) Citizen Cup in April (3-5). results:
Semis: Evert d Cawley 57 61 64, Jaeger def Mandlikova 61 63. Final: Evert 76 75, 3rd place Cawley 62 62.

It was probably that, Andy, I'm not quit sure which source I got that result from, but the similar spelling of the tournament, the final result (76 75 instead of 61 75) and the fact it was an exhibition proves that pretty much (also the fact that the tournament was definetely held in April).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
What about Johannesburg in the first half of the year: I have the information it was an exhibition in 1983 but an official tournament in 1984.
1983: Jaeger vs. Hanika 61 60 (SF) and Evert vs. Jaeger 63 63 (F) -> just a 4 player-event ??
1984: Jaeger beats Salmon, Schillig, Henricksson, and Uys, befor losing the F to Evert 36 06.
So 84 indicates to be official, BUT it always puzzled me that Jaeger dropped out of the rankings at the end of 1984, even though she had played 6 tournaments that year (a player needed 6 tournaments to be ranked back then). She played Washington, Oakland, Houston, Championships, Johannesburg, and French Open.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Jaeger was rankd 42 at the end of the 1984 season and all these 6 tournaments counted. She would have dropped off immediately this total went <6, on Monday 7/1/85, I imagine.

The 83 Triumph International was indeed a four-woman exhibition event. Evert beat King in the other semi 64 64.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I see, so the "end of the year" ranking I have got is the first ranking list of 1985, and as Washington dropped out, Andrea dropped out.
I just checked again and the rankings from 2nd January 1985 lists Jaeger on 42 :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I added all the results that were found by you guys, thank you !!! I'll add the exact dates of the tournaments soon.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Andrea was one of my early favorites. She's often times overlooked. Even though she didn't win a GS tourney, I'd say she's one of the best players of the 80's.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
She sureley is. I just just wished she used one of her chances (ie French Open 81 to 83) to win a GS. Have you got Jaeger matches on tape, Hanna fan?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Robert1 said:
She sureley is. I just just wished she used one of her chances (ie French Open 81 to 83) to win a GS. Have you got Jaeger matches on tape, Hanna fan?
Robert, the only 2 matches that I've found on tape with Andrea is the '83 Wimbledon F vs. Martina and the '83 Fed Cup vs. Hana (courtesy of our own tennisvideos). I didn't order either because I remember that the Wimby F was not much of a match and the tennisvid folks advised me that their copy the Fed Cup match was not of great quality. I'd love to have a few of her matches though....in particular '80 US Open SF vs. Hana and '82 French Open SF vs. Chris. Also would like to see her against Martina in a competitive match.

BTW, please excuse if I'm not supposed to do this, but the people at tennisvideos are really great. They let you know up front what kind of quality their tapes are before you buy them.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Robert1 said:
Oops, you might have been asking "hanafan" who is much more knowledgable and a more prolific poster than I. I sure wish I had picked another handle.....hope hanafan isn't mad with me. :worship:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The Fed Cup match Jaeger vs. Mandlikova is a match from myself. I got this match from someone in Germany who had over a thousand tapes back then from the 80s. The quality was okay, not great though. I'd like to have the French Open semi 82, too. But also the US Open semi 1982, which Evert won in straight sets. Would like to have those 2 matches and compare.

·
Registered
173 Posts
HanafanGA, I'm not mad at you, absolutely not! I''m so happy to see another fan of Hana openly declared! ;) By the way, are you a boy or a girl? I'm a french boy and I live in Paris. I'm 32.

Unfortunately, I have no Andrea matches on VHS. I also wanted to order tyhe 83' Fed cup match, but Karen from Tennisvideos also told me that she didn't want to selll it anymore cos' it was poor quality, and last game was missing! What a pitty!!! I would love to see the Hana/ Andrea SF US Open'80, and Las Vegas '80 final...

41 - 60 of 131 Posts