1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Money talks for Serena Williams

By JOCELYN GECKER
.c The Associated Press

PARIS (AP) - Serena Williams has won more than $11 million playing tennis. Money, however, has not lost its charm for her.

Williams is three victories from earning $966,000 as the French Open champion. In January she won $654,000 as the Australian Open champion, and jokingly complained that wasn't enough.

``I've always been motivated at the U.S. Open because they always pay a lot,'' Williams said Sunday. ``I mean, this year I think it will probably be $950,000. Who wouldn't want to win that?

``But it's tough for tournaments like Australia,'' she said with a smile. ``I definitely play to win the Grand Slam when I go there.''

When told about her comment, Australian Open champion Andre Agassi said: ``My prayer is that I never get to a point in life where I think hundreds of thousands of dollars isn't a lot of money.''

My question is this why does Andre always have a nasty comment when another player is discussing money? This is not the first time remember when Yvegeny said that he felt that tennis did not pay enough, and Andre went out of his way to diss him, like he was the one who signed the checks. LOL

Anyways, HATERS don't come in with your usual bullshit. Don't want to hear it. IMO, Serena was joking. But of course she loves money. Who doesn't?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
harloo said:
Money talks for Serena Williams

By JOCELYN GECKER
.c The Associated Press

PARIS (AP) - Serena Williams has won more than $11 million playing tennis. Money, however, has not lost its charm for her.

Williams is three victories from earning $966,000 as the French Open champion. In January she won $654,000 as the Australian Open champion, and jokingly complained that wasn't enough.

``I've always been motivated at the U.S. Open because they always pay a lot,'' Williams said Sunday. ``I mean, this year I think it will probably be $950,000. Who wouldn't want to win that?

``But it's tough for tournaments like Australia,'' she said with a smile. ``I definitely play to win the Grand Slam when I go there.''

When told about her comment, Australian Open champion Andre Agassi said: ``My prayer is that I never get to a point in life where I think hundreds of thousands of dollars isn't a lot of money.''

My question is this why does Andre always have a nasty comment when another player is discussing money? This is not the first time remember when Yvegeny said that he felt that tennis did not pay enough, and Andre went out of his way to diss him, like he was the one who signed the checks. LOL

Anyways, HATERS don't come in with your usual bullshit. Don't want to hear it. IMO, Serena was joking. But of course she loves money. Who doesn't?
Who cares about what Andre has to say? I'm pretty sure Serena doesn't.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
what's nasty about that comment??

It's great to see that there are still players out there who realise what money worth is. Andre is definitly a guy who knows how important money is, and who realises that they are earning too much money. He's just down to earth :)

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
hes right tho

Serena is earning millions a year and shouldnt of said that comment imo :(

i dont often disagree with her, but my feeling is sports stars are paid what they are worth (bar the men....they deserve less :p)

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
To be honest, I just dont get the problem... :confused:

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
I thought Andre and Pete were wrong about what they said about Yevgeny's comments a few years back, but there's not much love lost there, is there?

what Andre said about this was just a pretty normal comment. I think he's right. and maybe Serena was joking, but how do you know the reporter presented her comment to him as a joke?

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
andre and family apparently were discriminated in the american junior circuit because they were not as rich and posh as the other players so he probably realize how he should appreciate were he is now!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Andre is right on. Joking about "only" earning over $650,000 is immature at best. She also basically said she only plays in Australia to have a chance at the Grand Slam.

Think the Aussies will remember this?

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Sanneriet said:
She also basically said she only plays in Australia to have a chance at the Grand Slam.
whats so bad about that?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I never thought the players are over paid. it depends upon how much money the tournament is making and at the US Open, they support the USTA for about a year on the profits. At any rate, Americans usually love money, but don't admit it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
But who exactly is andre to talk ...people seem to forget this is the guy who at serena current age thought image was everything ...he chased every endorsement he could get made alot more money than tennis players with far better results ...everyone respect what andre has achieved today, but they seem to forget he was the original mister shallow ,talented but lazy ,money is everything guy when younger .

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
TonyP said:
I never thought the players are over paid. it depends upon how much money the tournament is making and at the US Open, they support the USTA for about a year on the profits. At any rate, Americans usually love money, but don't admit it.
love of money does not stop at Americans. its a human thang.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
who cares..andre plugs one nostril at a time and blows his nose on the court every match.

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
irma said:
andre and family apparently were discriminated in the american junior circuit because they were not as rich and posh as the other players so he probably realize how he should appreciate were he is now!
Oh, thanks Irma for the info. So Andre is probably still scorned. Now I understand, because I never could understand why he was so fascinated with other players comments about MONEY. He is always classy in his interviews, but when it comes to money issues other players are discussing he likes to diss. And that's just what this was, a DISS. LOL

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
it's not about loving money but serena almost says australia is not worth to go for the money
she might meant it as a joke but still there are persons in this world who are glad with 10 euro;)

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
I once did a movie where I had four scenes, I did them in two weeks and got paid $50,000. This was in 1967, so that was a lot more money then. Easiest payday I ever had!

Serena and Venus have never made it a secret that money is the primary, if not, sole, reason they play tennis. While it may not be totally admirable, they are at least honest.

·
Registered
24,190 Posts
serena's comment was immature, and andre's was right on the money. he turned the question (that doesn't really have an answer) and applied it to himself when someone was obviously trying to get andre to say something bad about serena. good for him. i really don't see the problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
lol AT irma Id love 10 euro now! Andre probably thinks serenas in a sport earning millions of dollars playing a sport while there are people out there alot less fortunate

1 - 20 of 89 Posts