Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1618 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Born 27.12.1997
Ok guys I followed this girls developement for quite a few months now.
Last month she won the European Junior Championships, Pilzen for girls under 14.

Other success she had this year:
Winner of G16 Junior Croatia Open, Cakovec
Winner of G14 Mladost Grill Open, Zagreb
Winner of G16 Kvarner Open, Rijeka
Also reaching a G16 final in AvignonFR and a couple of SFs.

This year she has a win-loss record of 48-7 currently. With those 4 titles.
She seems to be highly talented, there´s a lot of potential, hope she´s not going to fade away and go her way.

http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113738/ana-konjuh-vodeca-u-europi
http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113113/ana-konjuh-europska-prvakinja

People might say it´s too early for a thread but after twinning the European Championchips I though she would deserve a own thread.

·
Registered
557 Posts
next week fed cup! I am so curious how it will be. She had two weeks more to prepare. She will have 6 matches minimum, 3 singles and 3 doubles. So after Fed cup she will have in total 2 months of training, 8 matches played minimum, no points to defend until grass season and no pressure of Tournament limitation due to her age. Perfect situation to make some good results.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Ana lost 4-6 6-3 6-4 to Kontaveit in Fed Cup. :eek:

·
Registered
32,314 Posts
ugh bad loss--was up a set and a break as well...

now needs to win the doubles point with Jurak

·
Registered
557 Posts
thanks god she won doubes. Singles she lost due to double faults, thats what happend, always when she lost service she made 2 double faults. I would love to see what is she doing at training, she is serving bad since a while, if I remeber her service in Wimbledon 2014 how good it was I just want to cry. I dont understand why they dont get rid of Schneider, basic things like serve and footwork she is not improving at all or becoming even worst.
Croatia was soooo lucky that Kanepi is ill and could not play, Estonia would have passed the group. Now against Turkey and Israel she will face far worst opponents than Anett and doubles they will win anyway. So it looks really good for Croatia to play Ucraine in final. Ucraine will be difficult, Tsurenko is much better than Anett, they also have a good double team and they will have one match less so they will be fresh. and Ana I am afraid with 6 matches in 3 days will be too tired to face Tsurenko.

·
Registered
557 Posts
She gave a strange interview after her match, that she is happy that she did not feel any pain during her matches today. And that it was just her third match after the long break.
Does that mean now that she felt pain in Australia? Hmmmm

·
Registered
557 Posts
1-2 years ago here would be 20-40 people discussing after every match of her, now it's 2-3 people left. :))

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
1-2 years ago here would be 20-40 people discussing after every match of her, now it's 2-3 people left. :))
I thought Ana would take the tour by storm because she is that talented. To be fair, she's had some injury problems with her elbow and now her back. But it's going to take some time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I thought Ana would take the tour by storm because she is that talented. To be fair, she's had some injury problems with her elbow and now her back. But it's going to take some time.
Yes, it will take time. The moment will come when she takes a professional team around her. Sooner or later she will realize it and change her team. :) let's hope she will take some confidence and match praxis from fed cup now for the next tournaments.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Fed Cup: Lost 3-6 6-2 3-6 to Buyukakcay

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
Next for her is Dubai Q, the event kicks-off Feb. 15th.

As for Fed Cup, if she was making that many DF's and she didn't feel any discomfort/pain left over after her latest injury then I'm worried. Cause it wasn't just during one match that she had these serve issues, it was in at least 2 singles matches, and from what I saw yesterday in those few points towards the end vs. Israel, doubles weren't spared of these problems either.

As for her aspirations regarding the ranking, I've played with the numbers a bit, comparing some things. Her team says they wanna aim for top 30 this year. And since I think one of her main problems are the losses in matches that she should be winning (those that she loses to players ranked outside of top 100), I've compared her in this regard to a player currently ranked at #30 - Kiki Mladenovic.

Last year Ana had 6 losses to girls ranked outside of top 100, which doesn't seem like a lot until you take into consideration she played only 40 singles matches in a year. Kiki played 69 matches and suffered only 3 such losses. That's a pretty drastic difference, when you take out the percentages.

So I think that only when she reaches a level of play that'll allow us to be calm about her playing some girl ranked 220 in the world or something like that, will she be ready to take serious leaps up the rankings. No one is saying she has to win all of those matches, cause even the elite players sometimes lose to girls ranked way down, but with Ana that still happens much too frequently for her to be considered a contender for a more serious spot in the rankings.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
Somehow I like it more when Ana starts her tournies in Q, as she's a slow starter and kicking it off from qualies tends to be more forgiving. Let's hope I'm right.

BMS is definately beatable, if Ana is healthy and motivated. But no, I don't think it'll be a walk in the park.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you see all possible players in the draw, her first round draw is very good. But Ostapenko and Hradecka would be really bad in round 2 and 3. Let's hope that they will lose until then. :))

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Looking at these players in qual. I have to say she's optimistic to say the least. Its a mistake to play this if you ask me, she should build her form and confidence in less challenging fields.
Her schedule reminds me of Martic when she was starting to struggle but was still ranked high enough, she was also very unwilling to step down a level and establish her form there which led to well,..we know what...

Acapulco and Monterrey seem a lot better for Ana right now, or some of these events in Asia,...just look who's playing the semis tonight in Tailand- Doi, Hsieh, Putintseva...

Here she'll have to beat 3 very good players just to enter the tournament, in Mexico or in Asia 3 wins like that would get her very close to the title

Ah well, good luck, draw seems decent enough at least

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I agree..Dont know why she is playing strongest tournament when she is in very very bad form

·
Registered
557 Posts
Because they said last year they want her to play and train and make training matches with the best players. That's how they hope she will improve faster. I think they are wrong. But anyway I am not a big fan of her team. When she was 15 in her first fed cup match she beat Radwanska being then number 27 in world. One year later in her wta debut she beats Vinci number 11 then. And now two years later these two wins are still her best wins. Who would have said that two years ago that she will not even repeat these wins. Horrible development and waste of talent. And the responsible ones are still in charge. I will never understand it why they still let her talent in the hands of that amateur Schneider.
I just hope when she makes changes that it will not be too late.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Its not like she'd be playing against scrubs in Acapulco/Monterrey, plenty of top players there and she'd probably get in the MD so would actually get to play some :sobbing:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
2-6 3-6 against Mattek

Considering these courts are pretty quick and she served 71%, only 1 ace, looks like she barely won any rallies (if there were any to begin with :lol:). Mattek got into 3 return games and broke every time.
Mattek held routinely throughout despite serving 34% in the match :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 1618 Posts