Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
5021 - 5025 of 5025 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Watching Anci play today was both encouraging and disappointing. She seems to be injury free and was striking Te ball very nicely which is great to see. Her raw power and timing is still fantastic and she hasn't regressed in her shotmaking which is a massive plus. The downside though is that it seems players have really started to work her out and she hadn't addressed some really obvious flaws in her game, like her movement and ability to deal with variety. Kasatkina is a bad matchup for Anci for this reason. She was hitting angles, slices, heavy topspin but still hitting with enough aggression that Ana couldn't crush her. And as a result it never really looked like Ana was gonna win this match despite the fact that she was striking the ball much better IMO than Kasatkina. Now that she is no longer unknown she really must work to fix these problems. But she's healthy and striking the ball well so that's a good start :)
For the very first time I agree with you. In all aspects. I am saying that since one year and for me it's obvious that her team is not professional enough. As these weaknesses are tenis basics. That's the worst of all this.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Looks like most of us share pretty much the same view.

Once the match got going and upon seeing how much better Ana seemed to be playing than in the first round, not to mention upon realizing that Kasatkina is nothing special at all, I was convinced Ana was winning this. Of course, I didn't count in her oscillations and the fact that her own serve can be one of her own worste enemies.

Kasatkina really didn't show much apart from good movement and persistance. And not just that, but she seemed to be low in confidence, as she was fistpumping a lot and glancing to her team for approval every now and then. For a big part of the match Ana really looked like the better player on the court, and this turned out to be a genuinely blown opportunity, cause there was very little separating the two.

Apart from her serve melting away in set #2, there were some more issues with Ana's game. The first is of course, going for too much too soon. The second one explains the first one partly, she tended to rush because she couldn't keep up with Kasatkina during rallies, as beyond her 3rd shot Ana would almost every time shoot the ball out or into the net. Another problem is too narrow point of view. She actually has more weapons than even she believes, as was evident when she would (all too infrequently) step a bit more inside the court or approach the net. There were some really nice volleys and drop shots leaving her racquet, but I'm guessing they're not working on tactics and strategy enough for her to keep that in mind throughout the match. For that reason she focuses and relies mostly on her shotmaking from the baseline.

These are just some of the issues I've noticed, but I have to give her some credit also for this event, as she didn't play anything coming into Melbourne, and her off-season was cut short by injury.

Overall this was not a bad showing given the circumstances, but I expect to see some improvements in the following weeks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
As time is going on I am less and less sure about Ana. She looks good from time to time but her game overall is very erratic, forget about power and heavy striking shots - it will not save her overall I am afraid. I do not see any big progress, she is still somehow "uncompleted" as a player and I wonder if her team has any clue what to do about it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
-first set was almost OK, almost....

-in the second set she didn't win one servis game (I think) :confused:

-too much UE's

-Kasatkina is annoying little brat (just my opinion)

5021 - 5025 of 5025 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.