Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
18,525 Posts
https://100posto.hr/sport/nesretna-dubrovkinja-na-prekretnici-nakon-cetvrtke-operacije-lakta-razmisljam-o-tome-da-odustanem-od-svega-prekinem-karijeru-i-pocnem-se-baviti-necim-drugim?utm_campaign=internal&utm_medium=floater&utm_source=sportske.jutarnji.hr

Ana Konjuh totally honestly
The unlucky Dubrovnik native at the crossroad after the 4th elbow surgery: "I'm thinking about giving up on everything, retire and start doing something else."

Unfortunatelly, her fans are used to it. The announcements of longer breaks, made out of a hospital bed. One like that came a month and a half ago, from Florida.

"A few matches that I've played this year were bareable, but the pain is back" - she'll say, going for another therapy.

Ana Konjuh, that 21 year-old hope of Croatian and world tennis, had to undergo her 4th elbow surgery. An ex top 20 player had the reconstructive ligament procedure in the United States.

"How I've decided? Honestly, it all happend sort of fast. When I went for a check up, I got a suggestion of doing this reconstruction and so I've decided within 5 minutes to go for that as well," says our young player.

"If I want to play tennis, do it as a profession, it was a must. I think that was also the only right choice."

She is quite careful with prognosis, even in that last announcement she warned her fans to be patient, cause the healing process will be long and slow.

"Yes, I don't know exactly how that will look like, but some experts mention a period of between 9 and 17 months. Yes, that's a bit stretch and a long time period. Simply put, I don't want to rush, I want to fix myself the right way," she'll say in good spirits.

She is more in hospitals and at the doctors' than at tournaments, unfortunatelly, that is something at what she's used to by now, she is playing "matches" she wasn't expecting back in the days when she was working by hitting against the wall.

All that considering, does a farewell come to mind, to end the career altogether?

"Honestly, that scenario is coming to my mind as well! Cause not even this 4th procedure, there's no guarantee that all will be fine, and you never know. So I'm thinking about plan B as well," says Ana, but doesn't reveal what it's about:

"I'm thinking of that plan B, but I won't say anything. It's all just a thought process. But I believe, I hope, to stay in tennis for a long time more, and that everything will be OK with my elbow."

She's got a lot of free time, sometimes she'll turn on to watch tennis, but therapies take up to 3 or 4 hours a day.

"It's incredible how an image of women's tennis has totally changed. Back in the day, we were all used to seeing all the titles going to Serena and Sharapova, but now we have a situation that at 18 events, we had 18 different winners. That's a real chance for all the girls in the top," says Dubrovnik native.

The differences are very small, besides, it's a good example to look how Jana Fett let Wozniacki go in Melbourne, she had 5-1 and 40-15 against the #2 seed, but in the end the Dane turned the match over and went on to win the event!

"Everything is in the details today, a tiny thing, if you make it through, can be a trigger for later. It's all sort of balanced today on Tour and that's good for everyone," - says the Croat.

As a traveler, often she was met with questions by her Tour friends about Croatia, soccer players, and of course her hometown, Dubrovinik.

Yes, they would sometimes ask about the shooting of Game of thrones in Dubrovnik, about locations, but since I've been living in Zagreb since I was 11, I almost didn't know any precise answers," - she would say laughingly and add:

"A lot of them don't even know where Croatia is, but of course everyone knows the names of our soccer players and all their successes, which makes one very proud."

We've finished at the film set, 10 minutes or so between her therapies have just run out. She is a young girl, will and desire to give it one mroe go are there, but it looks like, and she is not even hiding it anymore, she is thinking about that plan B. Besides, that's logical, cause injuries and bad luck with illness have also thrown Mario Ancic into another, unexpected direction.

·
Registered
18,525 Posts
https://www.24sata.hr/sport/cesce-gledam-muski-tenis-a-sanjam-odlazak-na-bora-boru-630153

More often I watch men's tennis, and I'm dreaming of going to Bora Bora

My favorite win is the one against Radwanska, I regret the most not winning junior Wimbledon, and for now I don't have a plan B if I don't make it back the right way. I still just wanna play tennis...

This is probably my last chance of a comeback to professional tennis, so I want to do everything in my power to come back to the desired level. That's the only way I'll be able to accept things, says Ana Konjuh (21).

Ever since her early years, she was showing a great talent for tennis, but her career got slowed down considerably by countless injuries. Ana Konjuh first struggled with back issues, while this March she underwent her fourth elbow surgery.

- Now, 12-13 weeks after that surgery, I can even normally do some movements. I do elbow exercises for about 2-3 hours a day, and this week I've also started working on fitness. Those are still less intense things like driving a bike or walking uphill, but the most important for me is that everything is going as planned. I still haven't had any setbacks, and I also hope there won't be too many of them. There's a long journey ahead and I'm ready for it - says Ana, and continues:

- My main goal is to come back on court and I don't have some timeframe of when I'd like to play again. It's hard for me now to talk about this comeback, I don't know when will it happen, and wether the elbow will hurt again. But every day I'm focused, I want to do absolutely everything right in practice. I've chosen tennis alone, it's a sport I enjoy.

Do you get tough days, those mornings when your head is working a bit differently? When you'd rather stay at home in bed than go to practice, fitness or a rehab?

- I won't lie to you, there's a lot of those. Sometimes I wonder, why is all of this happening to me, of all people? Or why everything couldn't have been settled after the first surgery? But I believe everything happens for a reason, that's why I'm even more eager, more motivated for that final comeback to court. I've been outside of tennis for a while now, and I've come to realize even more just how much I want to be in it, how much I miss all of that.

You seem very optimistic and pretty positive...

- Well, I've gotta be, I'm full of optimism. If I allow myself to get into some negative mindset this early, than I surely won't make a successful comeback, so I'm thinking positively.

Still, is there fear of what will happen if you won't be able to come back the way you want to?

- It's not fear, but it's somehow in my subconscious. I'd like to be ready for everything, I love having some plans, and for this kind of situation I don't have any plan B. And I find that, the worst. I don't know what else I'd like to do in life, but we'll see. Maybe I'd enroll at some college, maybe I'd work in my dad's company, maybe I'd come back to live with my family in Dubrovnik. I really don't know, all would be open in that case, but I still think only about tennis.

Let's go back to your roots. How does a girl from Dubrovnik end up in tennis?

- At first I was practicing tap (the dance), I've tried a lot of things, but as my older sister started practicing tennis, I was always somewhere around her. I went to practice sessions with her, being her ballkid. Yes, she'd sometimes pass on a 'move, you're getting in the way', but later I became better so I'd say 'who is in whose way now, haha'. Very early I started with individual coaching, which helped me improve a bit faster.

Did you always want to be a tennis player, or you had some other plans when you were a child?

- Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a tennis player. I started practicing at age 4, I was joining my sister in practice, and that was the only thing I knew how to do, while being good at it. School for me was something to do on the side, like, I had to finish it, but I still hope to become an even more successful tennis player.

How much do you follow tennis now that you're injured? Do you even watch tournaments when you're at home?

- From time to time, more via live scores. It's a bit tough for me to watch the girls with whom I used to compete, playing there where I was suppose to be, but I do watch the guys. I watch Borna (Coric) and Cilic, rooting for them with all my heart, and I hope we continue with good results.

Do you get annoyed while watching their matches?

- Yes, for instance recently in Rome, when Coric had two match points against Federer. Only now do I realize how much tougher it is for me to watch it all from the sidelines, as a fan you're living through it all even more, nothing is up to you.

What's it like among female players, do you spend time together off the court a lot?

- Well, here's that my generation, girls like Bencic, Ostapenko or Kasatkina, we practically grew up together. I don't even know Osaka that well, she didn't play much on the junior tour, but we were all brought up in tennis, we've all gone through similar things. We often spend time together during tournaments, go out for some dinner, but it's not like we're calling eachother daily or that we're 'besties'. On the court we're opponents, we fight for the same thing, so I don't think there can even be some (too)honest friendship. Yes, there are exceptions, but mostly I spend time with those girls from my generation.

What are your favorite wins? Is there one that you really remember?

- Definately the one over A. Radwanska back in 2016 US Open, I'll remember that forever. It was for the quarterfinals. Now it seems like that was in another life. I found her to be a very tricky player, her style would never suit me, with the drop shots and coming to the net, so that one I really remember. I played a lot with Ostapenko, I've even beat her, and Kasatkina's game somehow also often caused me problems. I don't think I've ever beaten her, I think I've got a h2h against her of 0-4, if not even worse. But I believe I'll get a chance for another battle against her, haha.

Was there any time when you felt totally powerless against someone on court? Not seeing a way how you can win?

- Yes, there were such situations. If you're playing against someone versus whom you've got a negative score, you've got to be mentally tough. Of course, you don't want to think that way, but that's in your head all the time. Things like that prevent you even more from being relaxed and playing your tennis, and if on top of it you get a bad day, or tricky weather conditions, you can easily lose by a double bagel. That's how I felt against Karolina Pliskova at the 2016 US Open, in the QF. I remember it precisely, I was looking at my coach, clueless about how or what to play to get a game, although it didn't end so one-sided, after all. It's that feeling, you know you're close, but you feel like you can't even win a game. And over the course of a match, you simply don't have the right answers.

In her career, Ana Konjuh has won one WTA tournament, she lifted the trophy in 2017, in Nottingham, beating Niculescu in the final. But what are your favorite events ever played?

- Among Grand slams, certainly Wimbledon, and otherwise... I'll sound silly now, but I remember a tournament I played as a 14 year-old in the Bahamas. I'll remember it forewer, I was still a kid. It was the first tournament I experienced that wasn't all just about tennis, there were fun things around, a lot of hanging out together by the players. I really enjoyed it, you end up remembering things like that.

How difficult it is in tennis, to find a good team, people with whom you can get some quality work done, and trust them completely?

- Pretty hard, you can find individuals who are the best at their job, but then you realize how the most important thing is a good team. Everyone needs to understand everyone else, because jobs and domains can overlap. For instance you have a physio who tells you what you need to do during fitness sessions, but you also have a fitness coach, and so they interfere with eachother's work, and that all needs to function properly. It's tough to make it all work, you can have superb individuals, but if they don't work well as a team, it's not gonna be good.

And how difficult is it for people from your team to work with Ana Konjuh? Do you sometimes fight with them?

- Haha, it's a question for them. You gotta be honest, can't keep things inside, we all have to let eachother know what each of them is bothered by, from others. It's the worst when you keep something bottled up and then explode. I'm trying to work out every little problem with my team right away, instead of waiting for a month of something, things like that are very important to me.

What do you regret in your career so far?

- Not winning junior Wimbledon. The year I've won US and Australian Open, Belinda Bencic took the French Open and Wimbledon. And I still remember my Wimbledon semifinal, I've played against Taylor Townsend on court 18, ended up losing 7-5 in the third. I totally remember, at 5-5 in the third, I've missed a return, and I immediately knew that it was all over, unfortunatelly I was right. That's my biggest regret about tennis, and privately, not seeing a bit more of the world.

- I'm playing those tournaments all the time, and everywhere you have your plan and working program, which you have to stick by, and when you have a day off, you're resting in your room. And so I recently took a world map, I've thought about it some, figuring out all the places I've visited, and so I've realized there's a whole list of wonderful places I've still never been to. So I've promised to myself that I'll visit some beautiful islands, and my dream is to visit Bora Bora. They don't have anything tennis related there, haha.

What do you like doing in your spare time? Do you watch TV shows, read books, or you're active on social networks?

- All of those things, haha. I like to go to the movies, while reading books is reserved for my visits to the rehab. Makes things easier, I don't think about how much it hurts, haha. What I enjoy most are some quiet gatherings at home, playing Pictionary or some similar game in a good, relaxed atmosphere.

Unfortunatelly, tennis is related to many stories about match fixing due to betting. Has anyone ever approached you with a story like that?

- I hear a lot of them around the Tour, we also have 'Tennis Integrity Unit', an organization to which we have to report immediately, if we see somehting fishy. I've never been approached with such stories, but we all get all sorts of messages on social media, which we try not to look at. There's a lot of ugly things happening, sometimes you lose a match and someone has placed a bet on you, and then they write all sorts of things to you. We're all people with feelings, and someone is mentioning your family and what not, it's not pleasant at all.

Which sports, besides tennis, do you follow?

- I love basketball, and since recently, I watch NFL. When I was in the States, they were running it on TV all the time, so I started watching a bit, and couldn't understand a thing. And so, a year ago, I started googling out the rules. I still have to get some details clear, but I understand most of it. And of course, there's soccer, I always watch our national team play.

Do you get stopped by on the street, asked for an autograph or a picture?

- Well, it happens. Mostly when I'm paying something with a credit card, so first they make sure it's really me, haha. Sometimes I notice people 'googling me', they wanna be sure it's me. I find it all really cute, I was like that too, when I was a kid, and I believe there'll be even more such situations in the future.

Your tennis role models?

- Kim Clijsters and Li Na. OK, I think we all somehow have a role model in Serena, but I used to love these two. Kim is a wonderful story, after all that she's achieved, she gave birth, came back and won a major, I find that amazing. And Li Na is also really special, Asia didn't have a lot of great female players, and then she showed up like a superstar. Yes, I've played her once in Australia, and I felt totally powerless, haha.

Did you ever get into a fight, during the match, with the opponent, a referee, a spectator or your own coach?

- With my coaches fairly often, haha. It was never verbal, more like a fight with some signs which we both understand. I'm like that, I don't like to be applauded for doing something good while missing out in the key moment to lose the point. If it's tight, like 5-5 in the 3rd, 30:30, don't applaud and say I had a good intention, when I've shot the ball into the net. That wasn't good. So I would then signal to my coach 'let me cool down'. Oh yes, there was that time when I got a warning for swearing in Croatian, a Czech ref figured me out.

Could you these days list the top ten female players by ranking?

- I think I could, wanna check me, haha? On the women's side the very top of the rankings gets changed quite often, doesn't happen as much with the men. On our Tour, every girl now has a chance, and girls like Sharapova or Serena are not as invincible as they used to be. We now have Halep, Kvitova or Osaka, who got to #1 rather quickly, I'd say almost out of nowhere. With the guys it's still different. As long as Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are playing, there won't be many changes at the top. Tennis will lose a lot once those three retire.

How different is your lifestyle when you're ready and healthy, and now when you're doing the rehab? Do you now, let yourself have an extra piece of cake or a glass of wine?

- Haha, I don't drink alchohol. The most important for me is to have a balance in everything. Nowdays if I'm down a little bit, I'll allow myself something, I don't want to deprive myself of anything in such moments. The biggest difference is that now I don't live 'in a suitcase', they're stored in the garage, and my clothes are finally in the closet. That's the biggest advantage. I know what awaits me over the next months, I know I've got to be mentally tough, and then get back to my 'normal' way of life later. The one in the suitcase, haha.

You were born in Dubrovnik, but you've been now in Zagreb for about half of your life...

- Even more, haha. I've been in Zagreb since age 11, I don't even have the best memory of my childhood in Dubrovnik. First few grades of school are in some sort of a fog to me, and back home in Dubrovnik I don't even have my room anymore, haha. So while there, I sleep with my sister, and I like to have my own peace. Dubrovnik will always be a home, it's where I grew up, it's my town, but somehow I don't see myself living there one day, when I retire from tennis. At least for now, I'm closer to Zagreb.

Do you see yourself as a tennis coach one day? Can you imagine yourself as someone coaching children?

- I hope not, haha. If a chance comes up, I'll rather pass. I don't think I'm a coaching talent, I don't like to overthink things. If you know how to play, you know how to play. And that's it. I don't like when someone is giving you a hundred tips on how to play a forehand. Often I get asked for advice for some new kid, and I simply anser, he knows how to play. But wether he is good or not, I'm not a good judge of that - ends sweet Ana Konjuh, who was #20 in the world as recently as 2017. We believe, Ana will soon be even better. She deserved it...

·
Registered
53,807 Posts
“Ever since I was 12 I remember playing tennis with some kind of pain in my elbow. In order to continue my career I was taking painkillers until one doctor suggested surgery. After finishing a successful junior career at 16, I had to put my professional career on hold for rehab. It actually went well and I was pain free for 3.5 years. Other injuries were holding me back in the meantime, such as a herniated disc in my back and a twisted ankle. These were nowhere near the problems my sister faced. She had some kind of brain inflammation where they weren’t sure if she would pull through, but with a miracle she did. During this difficult time tennis kept me going. Little did I know the problems with my elbow were just starting. I was at a career high of 20 in the world in 2017 and maybe things were going too well. I woke up one morning during a tournament in Canada and couldn’t extend my right arm. After returning home, I found out I needed another surgery where they would shave the bone down and clean the joint. My positivity kept me going through rehab and after a long preseason I was ready to play. This time it only took one match to feel pain. I was forced to rest for six weeks after finding three stress reactions. I was not going to settle any longer and searched for the best doctor I could and ended up in the US. There was still uncertainty and I woke up after my third surgery to find out that they found nothing major and it was just another cleaning. Months of hard work got me back to where I was ready to start the clay and grass season in 2018. Only four matches in it was back. I took six months off from tennis to give it maximum time to recover. Now in 2019, I am trying every possible racquet, string and technique. I felt helpless that this sport, to which I dedicated my life to, is giving me all these problems. If I didn’t love hitting this yellow ball so much I would’ve quit a long time ago but I told myself give yourself one more chance. My fourth and final surgery, 2.5 hours long, ulnar ligament reconstruction. I have about 70% chance of returning but I am going for it. I have this goal set in my mind and I'm not accepting any other outcome.” -Ana Konjuh

·
Registered
52,921 Posts

·
Registered
18,525 Posts
Portal Oko - INTERVJU Potresne rije?i Ane Konjuh: Ako me nakon zadnje operacije ponovo zaboli, vi?e nema rje?enja

Moving words from Ana Konjuh: If, after this last operation it starts hurting again, there are no more solutions

One of Croatia's most talented tennis players, the native of Dubrovnik who's been living in Zagreb for a decade, 21 year-old Ana Konjuh, speaks about upcoming plans and return to tennis, about how she handled 4 elbow surgeries and we also talked about her beginnings.

For starters, how are you?

- Good, time flies, soon I'll start with tennis. Right now I'm here in Dubrovnik to rest for a few days with family, I'm trying to take the best out of this time and soon I'm planning to return to my normal life.

A few months ago you've had your 4th elbow surgery, how is recovery going?

- Soon it'll be 6 months from surgery, for now it's OK, I'm in contact with my doctor all the time and I'm trying to properly keep up with the whole process, although there are no set limits. Recovery is different for each person and takes from 9 to 18 months, so I'm hopful to be back competing some time next year, but the exact date is unknown to me as well.

Problems with the elbow actually started early, at the age of 12?

- Yes, they started for me at 12, if not earlier. At first I didn't know what is it, I was playing with pain. I was a kid so I wasn't paying attention, it was hurting, but I didn't think it was something serious. I was taking painkillers so that I can play, to not have to think about it. Afterwards I've gone through a lot of check ups, and I got my diagnosis at 15. That's when the first surgery was suppose to happen, but I wanted to first finish the year and then take a break when the next one came and the time for bigger events, so that I can take care of that, and the surgery was in January of 2014. I recovered, went three and a half years without pain, and then in 2017, when I was 19 years old, one morning I woke up at the event in Canada and I couldn't extend my arm. That's when most recent problems started that I couldn't put behind me.

2017 actually started perfectly for you?

- Yes, by the end of it I was #20 in the world due to a great 2016 and the first half of 2017. Then in September I had the 2nd surgery and so far I haven't managed to recover enough to play pain free for extended periods.

What's the prognosis regarding tennis, do you have plans to play again soon?

- Somehow I was always postponing it. I thought about starting a month ago. The latest decision is to start on September 2nd, but that's little tennis. First I need to start with the left hand, than with sponge balls, and at first start with easier things. I just have to come back and slowly get to being fully ready, and that'll surely require several months.

Besides physically, you also need to be psychologically ready, after all you've devoted your whole life to tennis. How did you handle the elbow situation from that angle?

- It definately wasn't easy. But as I've said, I was still a kid when it all started, so I was dealing with problems along the way. It wouldn't bother me much, I would recover in a few months and play again, while now it's already a serious question and we don't know if it will resolve itself, will all be OK when I get back. I went to have the surgery, didn't know what's gonna happen, it was my last option. Mentally it's tough, you gotta have a plan B, and in school I never had a subject that I loved so much I'd choose it for a career, tennis has always been my #1 choice, but if it comes to that that the problem can't be handled, I'll manage.

Besides these challenges with the elbow, you've also shown great strength 6 years ago, when you didn't give up while your sister Antonia was very ill, you even played with more power?

- Yes, I was 14 back then. It was really tough, but I was playing tournaments, traveling with coaches. Antonia was in Dubrovnik and only later came to Zagreb, so I don't really remember the whole period. I think my parents were protecting me from that quite a bit, I saw her a few times at the hospital, but it was a lot tougher for them than for us, cause they didn't want to show us the severity of it. At the time I just tried not to think about it and play, if I had been at home crying, it wouldn't do anyone any good. Today my sister is fine, she is studying, working...

Do you remember the moment when you've decided that tennis will be your life's calling?

- I remember. I was 10, I came home from school one day and said that's what I want. My sister Andrea was moving to Zagreb because of tennis, so my parents asked me if I really wanted to do that, cause if I do, there are no possibilities to do it in Dubrovnik, so I'll have to move to Zagreb. They said they won't be with us, but they'll be visiting all the time, that they're here for me and they support me, but still, moving from home at age 10 is no small feat. I could go away and play tennis or stay in Dubrovnik and see what I'll do with school, so I'd have to pick something else. My decision was to go to Zagreb, everything else was out of the question.

Who is your biggest support, besides family?

- There's my team, with some of them I've been working longer, with others not so long. I spend more time with them than with my parents, when I'm traveling with the team. So I have quite a few of people who are my "support system" when I can't be with family, and I believe that for psychological strength the most important thing is to be surrounded by such people.

Did you have or have you a tennis role model?

- Always the same - Roger Federer. I don't think that'll change. There was also Kim Clijsters who was playing, then gave birth, came back and won the US Open, that was a really nice story. I had a chance to meet her and work with her for a while, which was a great experience. As for Federer, I'm waiting to become more famous, so that we can be friends, haha.

During school days, did you have to sacrifice something that your peers used to enjoy and was that hard for you?

- I definately did. I have some friends from grade school, my only ones left. Hanging out, field trips, prom night, I never had any of that, but when I consider what I went through and experienced, I would choose this path again.

People recognize you on the street, how do you handle it and did you have some bad experiences regarding that?

- I go through more of the bad stuff on the social media, with comments and messages. Especially people who bet, when I lose a match, I find a lot of things there. Somehow I try not to look, while with people on the streets, it depends on my recent results. If it was some great success, I get to be in the media and people recognize me, but now that I'm not present in the media that much anymore, it's all lighter and a bit easier to handle.

Life of an athlete is characterised by great discipline, how do you maintain it?

- That's my life. I'm used to it, I don't know another way and I don't want to know, cause then I'd be comparing all the time. I got used to it, figured out it's my job, that I love what I do, and not a lot of people can say that.

Do you have days when you don't feel like doing anything?

- Of course I do, I don't feel like getting out of bed when I'm tired of everything, but I still think that those days, when I do get up and go through it all, in the end are my best and most productive.

What's your favorite match ever?

- 2016 US Open vs. A. Radwanska, 4th round, when I played at the world's largest tennis stadium, Arthur Ashe court. It was a night match, a lot of people came to watch, and I beat a player who was top 10 at the time.

You've been living in Zagreb since age 11, can you even compare life in Zagreb and Dubrovnik, what are your memories of your hometown?

- All I know is up until age 10, so very little, a few years of school. I don't remember anything in particular, just maybe that I was spending more time with my parents, but in Zagreb I had my routine, order, work, peace, and I got used to that.

Do you plan on one day coming back to live in Dubrovnik?

- I hope my parents won't be reading this, haha. Honestly, no. I think that for young people and making a career, Zagreb is much better. Who knows what life has in store for me, but I see myself in Dubrovnik maybe when I retire, from the age of 50 onwards.

You've traveled a lot of countries, probably more than some can imagine. Which one did you like the most?

- I don't really have a favorite. I find New York to be a special city, and I'd recommend everyone who can to go see it, but I couldn't live there. I liked the Bahamas, the Maldives, I find Tokyo to be interesting, a different culture and all, and it's nice to see diversity.

A few months back, you've said you do think about giving up on your tennis career. Has something changed?

- This last surgery was my final chance. If it starts hurting again when I go back, there are no more solutions. Before this last surgery, my doctor asked me if I see myself doing something else in life, cause he knew it was a serious procedure, some people don't come back to play after it. Chances of a good recovery are 80%, if it's known that this is the problem, but with me that's not the case so the odds are lower, but I'm young so I hope to be able to play without pain. If not, at that moment I don't know what I would decide.

Regarding plan B, would you stay in sports, in that case?

- Never say never, but if I had a choice, I wouldn't be a coach. I don't think I'm the type for it, but I would certainly stay in sports, maybe through some business side, that's an option. Or just come back to help dad, but I don't want to think about that, right now I wanna focus on tennis.

·
Registered
18,525 Posts
^ She is inviting people to join her and others for the opening of the European Week of Sports in Zadar, Croatia.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
So happy to see this I miss her on court. ☺

·
Registered
18,525 Posts
Just a bit of translation for those unfamiliar with the language... Not much new info basically, she doesn't know when will she start a comeback on tournaments, probably March. She was spending most of her time at rehab and relaxing at home, she took a bit of a vacation too, went to Bali for a few days, to move away from everything and everyone a bit. She has no plans for next season, except for a hope that the elbow doens't hurt, not on the first match, and not during her 10th match either. It'll be tough to go back to "tennis routine", traveling etc., so she hopes that the results will come if health permits (hopes to win a few matches here and there, for confidence). There are so many new names on Tour that she doesn't even know them all, but thinks that the openness of the fields today is good for the game. She finds it impressive to see so many comebacks of almost veteran players, especially those who gave birth, but doubts she'd go for something like that herself, although she adds to never say never. Admits to being close to calling it quits altogether at one point, but wanted to give herself every bit of a chance to come back. She has no plan B yet, doesn't want to think about it unless it's necessary and all else fails.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Just a bit of translation for those unfamiliar with the language... Not much new info basically, she doesn't know when will she start a comeback on tournaments, probably March. She was spending most of her time at rehab and relaxing at home, she took a bit of a vacation too, went to Bali for a few days, to move away from everything and everyone a bit. She has no plans for next season, except for a hope that the elbow doens't hurt, not on the first match, and not during her 10th match either. It'll be tough to go back to "tennis routine", traveling etc., so she hopes that the results will come if health permits (hopes to win a few matches here and there, for confidence). There are so many new names on Tour that she doesn't even know them all, but thinks that the openness of the fields today is good for the game. She finds it impressive to see so many comebacks of almost veteran players, especially those who gave birth, but doubts she'd go for something like that herself, although she adds to never say never. Admits to being close to calling it quits altogether at one point, but wanted to give herself every bit of a chance to come back. She has no plan B yet, doesn't want to think about it unless it's necessary and all else fails.
Appreciate the translation, Ma re, and also for your assistance on the 26th of Sep......:)

121 - 140 of 146 Posts