Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ana Isabel Medina Garrigues just broke my heart. I feel so badly for her after she injured herself against Seles. She started the match so well, breaking serve and going up 2-0.

I really really really enjoyed watching her play. She has a little 'zip' to her and a very flamboyant style on the court. As far as she gets FIRED UP! :) Plus she's cute and in my opinion, one of THE BEST ATHLETES ON TOUR PERIOD! She's fit, she's fast, and she's very very agile.

I feel so very badly for her. The worst part was after she had to retire and the physio was tending to her on courtside and she was crying and kept saying "Why?... Why? It hurts just to hit the ball....Why?"

She obviously was very disappointed. And with every reason, her first 4th Round. The biggest match of her life. And a big injury. Poor AnaImg.

Get well soon, and you ARE on my list of those to watch and cheer for!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
yeah that makes me really sad she was so frustated and just sat out on the court crying :sad: poor ana :( she was looking forward to this match and she fought so hard to get to it and she ended up getting injured.. atleast she was playing monica (probably the nicest player on the tour) who came over to her after she started crying but its just really sad nonetheless :sad:

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Oh my god, that is so awful :sad:
I feel bad for Ana.. such a great run and it had to end like this!
Players seem to have bad luck against Seles... last year it was Rippner who got injured on the court, now it's Ana! :( I hope she can recover from the injury soon... she's a talented young player that is going to be missed!

!!! GET WELL SOON ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES !!!

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Made me want to cry too. Well, okay, my eyes did well up a bit. Especially when she was saying "why?"

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
I know how you feel .... very sad exit indeed,

Just hope she hasn't done any serioius ligament damage which requires surgery.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should Leave It To Miss Class Herself

Perhaps, All I needed to post was this:

"She's probably playing some of the best tennis of her career, so that was a tough situation," said Seles, who now has a 40-2 win-loss career record at Melbourne Park. "It is unfortunate because it was such a good game. Some of our best tennis was ahead of us."

Monica said it best.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
:(

·
3,676 Posts
Seles advances as opponent falls

By PHIL BROWN
Associated Press Writer
January 19, 2002

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Monica Seles advanced quickly to the Australian Open quarterfinals when Anabel Medina Garrigues wrenched her knee trying to reach a wide shot Sunday.

Seles, a four-time champion here, needed two games to figure out her opponent's style, and then began pushing her around relentlessly.

She reached 4-2 on the point where Medina Garrigues stepped awkwardly on her right foot while running for a backhand in the corner, skipped once and fell to the court, her face contorted in pain.

After several minutes of treatment, Medina Garrigues declined a knee brace and returned to the baseline, skipping lightly as she prepared to receive service.

But she immediately started limping again trying to reach the first shot. On the next point, she returned serve but could only watch as Seles sent a forehand down the line.

In tears, she gave up, accepted an ice bag for her sprained knee and walked off.

``She probably is playing the best tennis of her career. It's just a tough situation,'' Seles said of the 19-year-old Spaniard, who rose from No. 114 at the end of 2000 to No. 45.

Medina Garrigues beat 21st-seeded Daja Bedanova 6-4, 6-2 on her way to the fourth round.

``I'm fighting off a cold,'' Seles said, but ``there's no excuse for going down 0-2 like that because there is a lot of pressure to get back.

``I finally got a little bit of control of the match,'' she added. ``I think some of the best tennis was ahead of us.''

... :sad: poor ana hopefully its not serious and she'll be back on her feet soon

·
Registered
837 Posts
oh, I agree...really really sad to see...I started to cry with her...it really was heartbreaking when she asked the trainer, why?:sad:

I hope she will heal quickly!!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
OMG.I just saw it,that was soooo sad.I hope she does well when she gets back!

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
a terrible thing to happen on what was suppose to be a great day for her - reaching the fourth round of AO and facing Monica Seles...

i feel for her...:sad: hope she rebounds really soon!

Very nice touch by Monica! Classy! :wavey:

·
30,466 Posts
I feel so bad for Ana! She was just devestated after her match!! It must be so hard for someone as young as her who hasn't been on the tour all that long.

Monica was great about it though. She was really sweet, and truely cared for Ana's well being.

Get well soon Ana!!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Poor Anabel :sad: I didn't see the match, but it is a cruel way to end such a great tournament (defeating a certain player on the way...) I hope that it won't be too serious an injury, and that we shall see more of her in Roland-Garros.

·
Banned
692 Posts
Dammit, IT was going to be such and exciting match but the injury oh well better luck next time against Monica Seles

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
I saw it happen live and felt so bad! On BBC they thought it was her ankle first. So in the slow motion I was concentrating on the ankle and couldn't see her twisting it. Then it became clear it was her knee.

The people applauded when she decided to try playing. But it was pretty obvious that the match was over. Monica had to serve but she clearly took her time and wasn't sure how to serve or if she really had to serve in the first place.

It was so sad to see her cry.

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
OMG... :sad: That's so sad!!! My heart was broken when I saw the pics, espacially the pic KC posted... OMG.... she was in so much pain...:sad:

Get well soon girl!

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
I'm too shocked, poor Anabel :sad: She had been playing her best tennis these past days, and now this... I just can't believe it. There's definitely something wrong with this Oz Open , too many players injured... Omg, this is disheartening, get well soon Anabel.

Now I'll be cheering for Seles. Go Monica, you must win this!

·
10,772 Posts
Aw, I saw the match and she looked really good up until she got injured. She looked in so much pain, does anyone know what she injured, her knee obviously ... but?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts