1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interview with Tennis Ace Magazine Issue 11 June 1997

I. What would you have done if you hadn't been a
professional tennis player?
MH. I wanted to be a model but I didn't have the body for it.
I had to be taller.
I. Who is your most feared opponent and why?
MH. I don't fear anyone.
I. Who do you see as the world male and female No.1
players in five years time?
MH. Hopefully me and Tim Henman.
I. What's your proudest moment?
MH. Winning the Australian Open.
I. Most embarrassing moment?
MH. Getting kicked in the mouth by my horse, Montana.
There was blood all over the place. I had to get stitches and
still have a scar.
I. What's your greatest fear?
MH. I have no fears.
II. What car do you drive?
MH. None, I'm too young to drive. I ride my horse.
I. Favorite song of all time?
MH. Anything by Mariah Carey or Tina Turner.
I. Favorite film?
MH. Forrest Gump.
I. Favorite TV show?
MH. The X-Files.
I. Which tennis player do you most admire?
MH. I most admire my mother because she does so much
for me.
I. If there was one rule in tennis that you could change,
what would it be?
MH. The age eligibility rule. I think I should be able to play
as much as I want.
I. What's your idea of perfect happiness?
MH. Riding my horse in the mountains of Switzerland.
I. What irritates you most about your job?
MH. Being away from my horse.
I. What do you think of tennis coverage in the newspapers?
MH. I don't read them.
I. If your house was on fire and you could only save one
object, what would it be?
MH. My dog, Zorro.
I. If you could change one thing about your life, what
would it be?
MH. Nothing, I wouldn't change anything about my life.
I. What is the most valuable thing you've learned in life?
MH. If I believe in myself and work hard my dreams will
come true.
I. If you could have been one person in history, who would
it have been and why?
MH. I don't want to be anyone but myself.
I. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
MH. I wish I was a couple of inches taller.
I. When did you last cry?
MH. I don't cry.
I. What are you most likely to complain about in a hotel?
MH. Nothing, I like hotels.
I. Pick five words to describe yourself.
MH. Grounded, intelligent, quiet, calm, uncompromising.

undefined

undefined
More...

[Close]

[Close]

reflect.com

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Martina likes Timmy? LOL:D ( nothing wrong with, I am just suprise to read it)

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
ok guyz, what's up with martina and tim....
...hehehehe

what's the nationality of the guy she's dating?

she awfully loves those horses too

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
verborednow, it's above the interview ;)

I love this interview. You can see she's still so young there!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Hadn't she just finished bawling her eyes out after FO at this point ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Ummm....it's before the French!:rolleyes:

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
it's 2 years before that French final!

I think it's cute: 'I don't cry'

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Whether you like Hingis or not, you must admit that this is a touching interview.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Interesting that even back when she was 16, her idea of perfect happiness is riding her horse in the Swiss mountains. Now, she's pretty much doing just that.

And the most important thing to save if her house is on fire -- her dog Zorro.

All the money she already had at that point, and those were the things that mattered to her.

She had then and still has very sound values.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank for the interview . It was a real fun and pleasure to read it . Her love for the animals is evedent event at 16 . Obviously , Martina is fulfilling her dreams now .

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I didn't know she liked Tim Henman... ;)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Ah this has made me nostalgic for the past...

06/1998
How good of a player do you think Martina Hingis is? Is she as good as some of the past No. 1s? Can you see anybody else besides Hingis dominating women's tennis in the next few years?
—Dean Leite, Sydney, Australia

Hingis is plenty good, but so is her timing. Her ascent coincided with Steffi Graf's and Monica Seles' absence, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Jana Novotna's aging, and a dearth of other good players ages 18-25. Hingis' style of play belies her age, she's mentally unflappable, and her power is deceptive. That said, I think when they were at their peak, Graf and Seles would both have beaten her handily. If and when the Williams sisters, Mirjana Lucic, and, to a lesser extent, Anna Kournikova, learn to be patient, work points and harness their physical gifts, Hingis' reign will end.

cybelle says: How true! Martina truly was the transitional player not only because of the fading stars and the slow rise of the new but because her career ended so abruptly. Trainsitional truly fits her brief but fabulous run at the top.

How long do you think it will be before Anna Kournikova is able to pull off a win? She's on the verge of the top 10 without a single WTA title.
—Junebug, Detroit

Though only 17, Kournikova, the haughtiest of the teen sensations, has won as many pro tournaments as Monica Lewinsky. As Martina Navratilova said of Kournikova just last week, "I don't have a problem with her marketing; what I have a problem with is being cocky and arrogant when you've not won a thing. Sex appeal does not win matches." (If it did, of course, Martina would have been consigned to the satellite circuit.)

cybelle says: Anna has not been so cocky or haughy lately. How can she be when she barely plays? Martina was so right, sex appeal will not win you matches or tournaments. Its funny that anna talked the talked but never walked the walk. Ever.

What's up with Jennifer Capriati? Is it possible for her to regain any sort of form and compete at the high level that she used to? In her on-again, off-again comeback, she has been ranked as high as the mid-20s. Can she get back to that level of tennis?
—Brian, New Hampshire

Capriati remains one of the saddest stories in tennis. In 1990, at age 15, she defeated Helen Kelesi to become the youngest player to win a match at Wimbledon. Four years later she was off the tour and in drug rehab, a walking, talking cautionary tale for precocious athletes. Capriati is now 22—startling, I know—and keeping a low profile while, in fits and starts, she tries to resurrect a gloriously disappointing career. Trading solely on name recognition, she can get wild-card entries to any event she chooses (this year's Wimbledon included—her first-round opponent Tuesday is Australia's Nicole Pratt) and thus retain a respectable ranking. But strong results have been hard to come by. Entering this year, she hadn't won a round of a Grand Slam event since 1993, and it's painful to watch her lose uninspired matches to players she would have clobbered in her prime. One wishes she would chuck the rackets and get on with her life.

cybelle says: spoke too soon, didn't you. :lol: Open mouth, insert foot. Jen has reached the top but now has fallen again. Me thinks she should go back to harold solomon for the remainder of her career and go out with a bang. Of course she won't do that because like most women at the top she has daddy in the way and now her annoying brother. oh well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts