·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
thanx cat for the article ..... interesting

BTW: a mistake Jamea Jackson is 15 and not 13

·
Banned
20 Posts
interesting article... I found it also intriguing that Sharapova also joined in the bandwagon on insulting Kournikova because she hadn't won a singles title yet. So what? Since when is it a crime not to have won a singles tournament? Isn't there more important things to focus on than just winning? Maybe not to some people. Anna could have tons of titles and be miserable, but the fact is she hasn't won anything and perhaps she is happy with her life and that's more important than anything.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
The last bit is interesting, where that guy comments that they have to win matches, it doesn't matter what they look like if they don't win matches. That's what's always overlooked in the "Anna is know more for her beauty than her tennis" articles that want to suggest that she has no actual tennis talent. The fact is, if Anna weren't one of the most talented players in the world, she wouldn't get a fraction of the attention she gets now. There are a bunch of beautiful women on tour. They don't get the coverage Anna does. There is a combination of factors at work (Anna being based in the US, her high-profile social life, etc.), but the single most important one which seperates Anna from the others is success.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flyin' Bryan, you make some good points. I don't think that Maria Sharapova, as talented as she may be, is going to find it easy to win titles on the WTA tour.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
Well I can only wish Sharapova good luck in her career. I guess she will find out how difficult it is to win a tournement.

I still think it's all the talk about 'Kournikova has no talent' is bullshit. Before her injury she was a top ten player!!!! Lot's of players won a tournement and never got into the top 10 or top 20!!!!! Anna has the looks and the talent, that makes her so special.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think Sharapova is very misguided in those comments about Anna, but heck, at
14, I don't think I can really blame her.

She's true in the sense of why model yourself on someone who hasn't won anything,
but I totally agree with others in that, we'll see how easy it is for Sharapova to
'win things' when she steps on the main tour.

In many ways it's baffling why the creases in Anna's play that effect her ability to consistently win matches in a row, haven't been ironed out yet. but let's not beat around the bush, when she's 'on' she an exciting, graceful, and very talented player.

As for the IMG academy, it's a bit of good and evil. What it does for talented kids is immense, but the emotional payback they can claim when these players turn pro (in terms of a players representation) can leave a lot to be desired.

BTW, thanks for digging that article up, cat!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your very welcome, Free! I'm glad you and the others enjoyed the article.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts