Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To increase premium membership and/or increase site speed:

I've noticed in the first four days of Roland Garros that this site has once again become annoyingly slow. Then I came up with a bright idea while changing the banner in my signature; how about making one of the benefits of a premium membership be that you can access the forums during grand slams/YEC/Miami, while standard members would not be able to access the site for those weeks. It seems that every time a major event is going on this site becomes useless because it is too slow. As paying customers, premium members shouldn't have to wait for minutes at a time to see if their response was posted in a thread. I know some would reject the objective of this thread, but from a financial standpoint, it is a great idea. Either more customers will pay to have a premium membership, or less people will be on the board and everything will run more smoothly. If people do decide to pay the money for premium membership, that means more money will go towards getting bigger servers for the sight to run faster. It is a win-win situation in my mind.

This was just a harmless suggestion, and I don't want a bunch of hate coming this way just because I want this site to run better.

·
Premium Member
14,046 Posts
i don't know if that is the answer, but something sure as hell needs to be done. for the past few days the site has been extremely slow, buggy and i've even been redirected to a completely different site while trying to access NT. i thought the membership scheme and the banning of threads over 5000 posts was supposed to help? it certainly doesn't appear to be the case. i can't even get into the bugs thread to report it as i continually get a gateway timeout, so here will have to do! :lol:

·
Registered
26,883 Posts
how do you become a premium member?

:tape:

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
The site always becomes slow during Grand Slams. They generate a massive increase in traffic, and unfortunately it seems like the servers still can't handle that.

I can't speak for the site owners, but I doubt they want to make the site accessible for paying members only though, even if only during certain periods.

·
Registered
48,064 Posts
To increase premium membership and/or increase site speed:

I've noticed in the first four days of Roland Garros that this site has once again become annoyingly slow. Then I came up with a bright idea while changing the banner in my signature; how about making one of the benefits of a premium membership be that you can access the forums during grand slams/YEC/Miami, while standard members would not be able to access the site for those weeks. It seems that every time a major event is going on this site becomes useless because it is too slow. As paying customers, premium members shouldn't have to wait for minutes at a time to see if their response was posted in a thread. I know some would reject the objective of this thread, but from a financial standpoint, it is a great idea. Either more customers will pay to have a premium membership, or less people will be on the board and everything will run more smoothly. If people do decide to pay the money for premium membership, that means more money will go towards getting bigger servers for the sight to run faster. It is a win-win situation in my mind.

This was just a harmless suggestion, and I don't want a bunch of hate coming this way just because I want this site to run better.
If you need some extra informations during grand slam week go to rolandgarros.com and find it there, dont try to get rid of us, poor members.

·
Lifetime Member
3,966 Posts
That's a good idea.

Other ideas:

Disable search function.

Have a 100 page limit on threads. Continue the discussion on new thread when it gets over 100 pages.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
Anyone noticed there is about 1000 users browsing the Games subforum? It has been like that for at least 3 days. A bug imo.

·
Registered
23,555 Posts
Can't you just threaten to sue WTA, get a chunk of money based on discrimination and then use that to buy a better server :shrug:

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
No I don't think it's a good idea. If this forum wants more premium members then make a reason for us to buy a membership, don't just take away what is already ours (access to the forum!). That's what was so annoying when they first introduced this system.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I don' think it's a good idea. There aren't that many premium members, and as a poster said above, this forum will probably look like the premium members lounge if it is restricted.

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
This forum belongs to everybody not only premium members! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
I rememember Poe once saying that the problem was (compulsive, though he didn't use that word) ppl constantly hitting Reload/Refresh/F5 in the live score threads. So one solution could be a Java applet for that which automatically updates when a point is ova, like on the Slams' own sites.

22,716 Posts
The board would be totally dead and boring then, like others have said look at the PM lounge, and you don't want that during the GS events, as for the board problems, it's been very bad last few days but seems to running ok today so far :unsure:

·
Registered
25,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I rememember Poe once saying that the problem was (compulsive, though he didn't use that word) ppl constantly hitting Reload/Refresh/F5 in the live score threads. So one solution could be a Java applet for that which automatically updates when a point is ova, like on the Slams' own sites.
LOL. That's hilarious for some reason :haha:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts