Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The WTA and ATP should experiment with what I call "shuffled draws." This means that draws would be re-seeded after each round is complete, with seeded players who lost replaced by the next highest-ranked players left in the draw. For example, if the top seed lost, the #2 seed would move to the top of the draw, the #3 seed would move to the bottom of the draw (the #2 position) and so forth. This means that in the QFs, the top four players left would be in different quarters. In the SFs, the top two players left would be on opposite sides of the draw. This would avoid situations like in Dubai last month when one semifinal was Venus-Serena and the other was Kanepi-Razzano.

Having said that, there could be some problems with shuffled draws. In some tournaments, play in one round can start before the previous round has been completed. More importantly, it would reduce the number of player surprises and breakthroughs (like Razzano reaching the final of Dubai), which make the tours more fun. Still, I think it's worth an experiment on a few tournaments. If it's judged to work, it can be used in more tournaments and the tours will be better off for it. If not, you get rid of it. But we won't know until we try it.

What do you think? Has this ever been tried?

·
Registered
39,562 Posts
I think it is fine the way it is, we don't need "first rounds" all the time, also this would mean a really big logistical problem. Sometimes players play their second-round matches before others have played their first round etc.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I think that's unfair to the lower ranked players. It would make scoring a big upset worth nothing if their draw doesn't even open up.

·
Registered
33,149 Posts
It's true that TV coverage would like it :lol: but by that logic, if you upset the second seed, you probably have to play the third etc. which isn't fair

·
Registered
32,295 Posts
If someone upset the 1st seed int he first round, that's huge. It's not fair if the player has to face the 2nd seed in the 2nd round.

·
Premium Member
181,958 Posts
just have an open draw
no seeds
just names coming out and they play each other.
and draw is done again after each rd is completed

·
Premium Member
171,102 Posts
I think it would be a great idea to have a few tourneys a year with different types of draws like the suggestions mentioned above. It would change things up a bit and give certain tourneys a uniquely different aspect than the normal wta tourney:bounce:.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I've thought of that... and I think it would be really cool as a viewer, but it's true that it would suck for the lower ranked players, who would have much less of a chance to go far in any tournament that used a system like that. It's also true that it might create some logistical problems, as someone above said, because you wouldn't be able to start playing matches for the next round until the all the matches for the current round were over.

·
Registered
39,562 Posts
I think it would be a great idea to have a few tourneys a year with different types of draws like the suggestions mentioned above. It would change things up a bit and give certain tourneys a uniquely different aspect than the normal wta tourney:bounce:.
The men's tour tried Round Robin on a regular basis and you know what happened to it. I thought it was an interesting idea actually, but players prefer to keep to traditions sometimes it seems.

·
Registered
26,220 Posts
I'd like to see one tournament where there are no seeds and the draw is made. You could get Serena vs. Venus 1st round :eek: And one eighth of the draw could have Venus, Serena, JJ, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Safina.

Of course that would be a disaster for the WTA as the latter stages of the tournament would suck but it would make the early rounds great.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I dont like this Idea.

That means say Vee and Ree were having an 07 year they could meet in the second round of wimbledon, and we know how vee is against serena.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
if an unseeded player takes out the top seed in R1, she doesn't face the second seed in R2: The second seed moves from the bottom of the draw to the top, replacing the unseeded player, number 3 moves to the bottom, number 4 moves to the place number 3 was in etc. So the unseeded player moves to the place the lowest seed was. So if it is R1, she will move to a seeded position, and thus play an unseeded player in R2.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
just have an open draw
no seeds
just names coming out and they play each other.
and draw is done again after each rd is completed
I think you would need seedings, but I would like to see an event where the matches were all just randomly decided as they went along, I think it would be quite netertaining, but rather messy. I think the way it works now makes much more sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts