Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I would be asking myself this but the last couple of weeks have been very demoralising to see Arantxa lose in 1st rnd of Sydney and the Australian Open after having such a strong Hopman Cup. It is awful to see Arantxa, who has had an illustrious career and epitomised hard-work and mental strength, fall week-in, week-out to players whose careers are incomparable to Arantxa's.

It is awful for me simply being a fan so what must it be like for Arantxa? She says she is still enjoying her tennis but IMHO if these losses continue her desire to continue competing will definitely start to wane. Unless Arantxa's results start to pick up again, I really am starting to think that this year will be Arantxa's last on the tour, in singles at least.

I'm interested to see what other Arantxa fans and non-Arantxa fans alike have to say about this subject.

Jonni
XxX

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
I think she should've retired at the end of last year. Well maybe after the Hopman cup...

She's been top-10 for such a long time... What's her ranking now..? :confused:

So to answer your question: yes.

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
I really don't know

On the one hand, I would say it has only been a couple of matches, but, on the other hand, we all know she's not going to be back, even if I expect her to still do well in some tourneys.

Is it time for her to stop? I guess that is up to her. All of her previous success is there, it does not dissapear simply because she's not doing so well now. If she wants to continue playing, I am more than happy to keep supporting her all the way :) if she wants to stop, I would also understand, she has nothing left to prove.

She should do whatever she feels she needs to do. I expect her to at least give Roland Garros another try.

Personally, I am happier having her on tour than remembering about her glory. As a fan, she has never ever let me down. I have never felt she did not do enough or that she tanked a match. I still think the same thing. She is a champion forever. She has earned that distinction during her 15+ years on the tour. If she now wants to only play tourneys on places like Hawaii in order to drink piña colada, I am more than happy to keep cheering ;) :D

Can I say it?

¡Vamos Arantxa!

;):D

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Maybe she hopes to have one last great clayseason, I know she had a dissapointed french open last year and I could understand that she wants to leave that tournament on a better note:)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I know it's hard, Arantxa is now ranked #15 and through her illustrious career she has not fell out of the top 20 yet! But she is slipping and I knew that this question would come...I for one just want Arantxa to be happy in what she's doing.. Obviously it's not great to lose in almost every early round but she did win 2 tournaments last year with a win over Martina Hingis! Anyways, we all know last year that she had to endure her grandfather's death and the divorce with her beloved husband that didn't even last a year so maybe she's still trying to get over that. But anyway I can't lose my faith in Arantxa I will cheer her on always. :)

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I agree with Julian. As long as Aranxta wants to play, let her. She is always a fiesty competitor and a lot of fun to watch. Good luck to her throughout the rest of the season!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Hell no she should not call it quits!!:) Arantxa has good game left and I can see her doing well during the clay season. Personally I think she has some personal problems that she needs to deal with. I mean didn't she just get a divorce? That weighs on your mind. Also I don't think she's in tennis 100% like she used to be. Anyhow ASV should keep playing as long as that is what she wants to do. She can still beat #20 on down. :)

She's just be in the WTA for so long that I can't imagine her gone. Not yet.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
i really love Arantxa!i really do because she was in one of the first tennis matches i EVER saw!
so i really hate saying this,but i think it's time she retires...:sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Well, I'm sad to say this, but frankly I think our dear ASV should retire. You know, she has been on tour for 15 years and she isn't the one she used to be. She just can't beat all the powerful players that we see nowadays. They are much younger and hit the ball too hard for ASV (IMO)

However I read somewhere that she would be playing the Oz Open in 2003, so it seems we'll see arantxa for at least 1 more year :)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would love to see Arantxa do well this calycourt season for one more time. I think that she should play as long as she wants to. she has nothing left to prove. I think Dawn marie hit the nail on the head bringing up the divorce. Maybe plugging away on the tour is her escape from her personal problems..................

·
Registered
460 Posts
I disagree with most of the other Arantxa fans. I am as diehard of an Arantxa fan as y'all, but should she retire? NO!!!!

Arantxa has more of a personal problem than a physical one.
What I really believe is that she needs to find someone other than her brother for her coach. Maybe Martina N. Arantxa has fire left in her. She needs to remember how to use it. Last year at Amelia Island, I talked with her before her match against Hingis. She was very confident, She believed in herself. And She won. She needs to know that she still is on the level of top 5 players. She needs to have confidence in herself, which I believe she is lacking. She listens to her fans, and I think if we talk to her, and tell her to believe in herself, she WILL win. Arantxa's game is all mental, she needs to give her mental game a practice session or two.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Well Jon, I guess you are right.

I never was a fan of Arantxa myself, but I respect her a lot, I believe she is one of the smartest players ever, she always amazed how she could handle nearly every player, she had the right answer to everyone's game.

But Arantxa needs her speed and that's not there anymore, I believe that after she won 4 GS and was in the final of another 8, it's painful to see her losing like this, people will remember her for this and that's not right.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi Jon! Michael from St. Croix, here!

Well...it is hard to see her go out in the first round. But I agree with most people...it is HER decision to quit. And she says she still enjoys playing...and when you see her (especially live)...it is soooooooo apparent that she thoroughly enjoys playing the game. I still love to watch her get pumped up!

So....if she continues to play...more power to her (you go girl!).

If she decides to retire...I will respect her decision and will miss her. But I seriously doubt that she will retire this year.

And I agree about a new coach. I love her Emilio, but geez louise....get another coach....I think Martina would be great!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I like Aranxta a lot. I was a Graf fan, and their rivalry was fantastic. Now that Steffi's retired, I appreciate Aranxta more and more.

But, frankly, it's just painful to see her results. A few months ago I remember reading an interview about a projected match with Dokic, and Aranxta saying something like "of course I'll be the underdog". And it just hit me then. That Aranxta is no longer a top player. She cannot compete with the top players any more.

But that doesn't necessarily mean she should retire. As long as she still enjoys her tennis, she should keep playing. And she clearly does. She looked so excited & happy at winning Hopman Cup.

I find it difficult to watch her now, because she's not the player she was. Her first RG title was just amazing. That 17 year old excitement and raw talent. But it's up to her when to stop.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Arantxa should retire, she's getting as Hingis said of Novotna...(hehe, you know).

Seriously, what will Arantxa do in retirement? I expect her to play deep into her thirties. And should she retire within the next two years, she'll come back and play deep into her thirties.

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
I don't think Arantxa should give up just yet, because as other have said she can still do a lot of damage on clay, so wait until after the French Open, and take it from there. It's sad seeing Arantxa having these first round losses, and there's no doubt that the problems with her marriage hasn't helped either, because if you aren't happy off court, then you aren't going to be happy on court either.
I hope though that Arantxa has one or two good years left in her, because she's been a great ambassador for tennis over the years.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,468 Posts
I personally don't think she should retire yet, though whichever decision she makes down the road, I will respect completely.

I don't think it's her ability that has gone downhill much, it's mentally where she is struggling right now, which could be a result of tennis not being a 100% priority to her right now as she has dealt with a lot of things out of tennis over the past year. As a result of that her confidence is not the same, and what is hurting her is her lack of ability to close right now. She has lost plently of matches, but they have not been blow outs, just a matter of Arantxa not taking advantage of the game points on serve, or the crucial break points - something that a confident and mentally stronger Arantxa relied very much on during her career. I think if she can work on her mental game more, and also start using her great net skills a bit more (yes, she has lost a bit of speed, but with volleys like hers, there's no reason why she shouldn't try and attack a bit more and try and finish off the points a bit sooner with her openings), she can stay a top 20 player for longer.

Vamos Arantxa! :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well if she's having fun...let her play! Besides, it's not like if she was out of the top100! She's still in the top20...after how many years? I don't see her having a lot of success now though...besides on clay.....and the clay season will be back soon.....so....:bounce:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think it's about what her personal goals are really. Another RG title - though extremely unlikely given her inablity to live with the most average of 'modern player' lately - is not impossible. And whilst she still has the motivation to play, if she feels able, she'll keep on playing despite getting knocked back. Like a boxer, the next win may only be around the corner.

I've never been a huge fan of Arantxa, but her record speaks for itself, and whilst it's undoubtedly frustrating to her fans to her struggle like she is, unable to win more than 2 matches in any tournament, my guess is she'll keep on until she can't run anymore!

Personally I do think she should have called it a day after Fed Cup last year. That would have been a nice 'full circle' drawn on her career, and to go out in front of her home crowd too.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I didnt feel sad when I found out Arantxa lost cos in some ways I was kinda expecting it! No offence at all!

But I saw her Hopan Cup speech and she looked sooooooooo happy, really positive and felt she she had some playing years in her!

I first thought she should retire, but who gives a damn if she is happy, I'll still be supporting her! I think her true fans will stick around if she wants to continue!

I also believe that she is is using tennis to escape from her personal problems and that maybe a new coach also might be good!

I think she should play for another year or so, then retire gracefully!

Remember she had NOTHING to defend her so pointswise she aint losing and her fav part of the season is just around the corner!

I just have a feeling that she isnt totally gone yet and we will see some good tennis from her soon!

As Randy H said somewhere, she establishes leads in the sets, I mean 4-1 up against Kim last year, up against Iva in both sets, she just needs to hold and convert the big points, which is mental!

Also, her running speed may have decreased, but she is definitely one of the fittest 30 year olds I know........ I can't think of any other player (ok maybe a few!) who would be as fit as ASV when they too are 30!

She has nothing to prove, only to enjoy herself.......

Gooooooooooooo Arantxa!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts