Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always admired Jen for her honesty and her frankness in her interviews. Some people prefer female athletes who give answers that people "want to hear." Here is an alternate version of Jen's press conference that answers questions the "proper" way.

THE MODERATOR: Could I have the first question for Jennifer, please.

Q. Can you explain at all what went wrong today?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: She was practically perfect in every way. She was just on fire.

Q. Did it surprise you?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: No. Serena never surprises me.

Q. Was there any point that you felt you could maybe come back into it?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: No, not at all. By the middle of the match, I realized I was just so happy to have made it this far that I didn't care about the result.

Q. What got her going early? It was close at the start. What got her into this rhythm that seemed overpowering?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Talent. Unbelievable athletic gifts and a super dooper serve.

Q. How different is it playing her on grass compared to the clay in Paris a few weeks ago?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: It's totally different. She is sooo good on grass. She really is quite good on any surface I might add.

Q. Do you think the extra day's rest would have made a difference?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: No way, if we had had an extra day off, Serena would have won 6-0 6-0.

Q. It's not clear who she's playing in the next round yet because that's going into three sets, but on this form, do you see her winning the whole thing?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I believe everyone who is in this tournament has a good chance to win. I'd like to wish all four semifinalists the very best of luck.

Q. How would you assess your movement today?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: It was okay, Serena's was much better though.

Q. Very early you were hitting your second serve quite well, then it really went off. Was it the pressure she was putting on you?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yes, absolutely.

Q. And it went way down, maybe 10 or 15 miles in speed.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yes, you are quite right.

Q. You guys have played so many close matches. Everybody writing in today's papers wrote about your great rivalry, all these long three set matches. What did you imagine was going to happen today? How did you see this match going when you stepped out there today?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I hoped that I would do the best that I could do.

Q. Isn't tennis one of the things that makes tennis, really all sports, compelling, is great rivalries? Isn't there a hunger for great rivalries which fans want to follow?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yes, it's a great rivalry. I do feel bad for the fans that it wasn't a great match today.

Q. Lindsay Davenport was saying yesterday it's good to see, I wouldn't say one of the older players, but when so many young guys coming through, it's good to see the more experienced players can still make the latter stages of a Grand Slam.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yes, I'm so proud to see older players still doing well.

Q. I know it's early yet, but I'm wondering if you have a sense as the summer goes forward, if you're leaning towards making any change in your coaching relationship or whether or not it helps to have family here or not? >

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but thank you for asking.

Q. Where would you rate Serena's game right now compared to when she was dominating the slams and held all the Slam titles at one time?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Serena has and always will be a fantastic player. Her game is as good it was 2 years ago.

Q. How are you actually feeling in yourself right now? How will you go about picking yourself up from a game like this?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I'm happy that I got to the quarterfinals and I tried my best. I'm so proud of myself.

Q. Does the score matter or is it just a win or a loss?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I don't think it matters. I would rather it would be closer, but I'm happy that I got this far.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about Lindsay. This is a big run for her, a lot of things she's gone through in the last year with injuries. Talk about her situation, whether you're happy for her to be back in this situation.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, I'm really happy. I think it's great that she's come back and done this well. She definitely has a chance to be in the finals. And, you know, I mean, it would be nice to see her win it. But I will be happy no matter who wins the title.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts