Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venus had a serve called OUT by a lines person, and AMY, not the chair, overuled the call and allowed Venus to take a 4-0 lead in the second set.

She REALLY did not have to do that. I am sure that Venus would not have been offended if the call had stood. But, what a great sports woman in the interest of fairness.

Then I think about the "hand" incident at the RG in 2003. No question that Justine KNEW that she raised her hand, but remained silent.

I think that this speaks a lot toward the character of the players mentioned.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
Actually, the chair ump. called it a fault :lol:

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
:worship: fightin amy! u rock
it's also good to see a player check the mark before the umpire gets down off the chair and they just tell them it was good.

but i've seen a few players do this before.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
Cool Canuck said:
Just like I thought this thread was positive. :eek: That HAD to be about "da hand".

What if a player wants to give a point to her opponent (like Amy did), but the umpire disagrees :eek: Who has the last word, the umpire or the player?
the player. amy never said a word to the umpire but she went over to the ball kid to get the balls to serve. then the umpire said "game williams".

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Why does the hand have to continously come up over and over again, a year after it has happened :confused: Can't people let go.

Good luck to Amy if she did that, but I would say 90% of players on tour wouldn't do it if in that position.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
See if she can do that, it should be able to go the other way. She is returning serve, and the serve is called good, then she should be able to say "i'm sorry, the ball was actually out" :lol:

·
17,913 Posts
VS Fan said:
Venus had a serve called OUT by a lines person, and AMY, not the chair, overuled the call and allowed Venus to take a 4-0 lead in the second set.

She REALLY did not have to do that. I am sure that Venus would not have been offended if the call had stood. But, what a great sports woman in the interest of fairness.

Then I think about the "hand" incident at the RG in 2003. No question that Justine KNEW that she raised her hand, but remained silent.

I think that this speaks a lot toward the character of the players mentioned.
Once again, :worship: @ Amy! :) :kiss: :smooch: :hug:

·
Elena Dementieva Fan
6,017 Posts
Amy is an angel. :angel:
She's really polite and seems very kind.
I like her a lot now. :hearts:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
funny how everyone is like yeaaaa, good job amy. but you all knows you wouldn't do that. the umpire is there to make a call, the player is there to play. if they give you an advantage or opening you take it. mistakes are made in sports, i would never do that, and that's just my personality.

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Well at that point in the match, it was clear Frazier didn't have a chance to come back. Maybe it didn't bother her too much to give Venus a point.

However if it would have been 5-5 in the third set, I'm not sure if Frazier would have give the point to Venus.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "hand" was shown CLEARLY on video. while it may not have made a difference in the outcome, it clearly showed a tendency toward taking advantage of the situation. To be fair, I have seen Serena do similar things (a ball is out, she knows it but doesn't speak up.) also, but not at such a crucial point in the match.

Also MANY others... linespersons, crowd, etc, and others besides ESPN's cameras SAW the hand, but no one that could have corrected the error spoke up.

Justine WON the RG 2003, but it will NEVER be as sweet as it could have been if she had owned up to the fact that Serena SHOULD have been given another FIRST serve on that point. She COULD have WON while playing fair, but she chose the low road, thus the doubts about whether she ligitimately won the match and the RG 2003.

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
VS Fan said:
The "hand" was shown CLEARLY on video. while it may not have made a difference in the outcome, it clearly showed a tendency toward taking advantage of the situation. To be fair, I have seen Serena do similar things (a ball is out, she knows it but doesn't speak up.) also, but not at such a crucial point in the match.

Also MANY others... linespersons, crowd, etc, and others besides ESPN's cameras SAW the hand, but no one that could have corrected the error spoke up.

Justine WON the RG 2003, but it will NEVER be as sweet as it could have been if she had owned up to the fact that Serena SHOULD have been given another FIRST serve on that point. She COULD have WON while playing fair, but she chose the low road, thus the doubts about whether she ligitimately won the match and the RG 2003.
I thought this thread about Amy :confused:
Though that one could easily see what it was really about :wavey:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool Canuck:

This thread was created to show contrasting styles when it comes to fairness.

Amy's gesture and Justine's were mentioned.

What it becomes is up to the folks that reply.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool Canuck:

My first response was DIRECTLY in response to reply #4... YOURS.

My next post was a clarification for those that are mentaly challenged concerning the point of the original post.

My condolences.

·
35,589 Posts
Just get a life JP ;)

Amy is amazingly fair...and really nice! I ballboyed her alot of time, and she always says thanks when we give her a ball! Her team with Katie Schlukebir, thy were the best :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts