Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time since 1990 no American woman reached the quaterfinals of the Miami event. American women's tennis is in dire straits. I disagree with Jill Craybas press conference yesterday. The next generation doesn't look very promising from America. Jackson, Harkleroad, Perry, King, Hayes are all short in size, talent, and ability. None of these players are even in the top 50. And I am sure if they even got that kind of potential to be top 50 players. The generation after Capriati, Rubin, Davenport, Williams Sisters they just don't got that spark that special quality of being champions. These players I would be surprised if any of them Hayes, Perry, Harkleroad, King, Jackson made the top 20.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Morrissey said:
For the first time since 1990 no American woman reached the quaterfinals of the Miami event. American women's tennis is in dire straits. I disagree with Jill Craybas press conference yesterday. The next generation doesn't look very promising from America. Jackson, Harkleroad, Perry, King, Hayes are all short in size, talent, and ability. None of these players are even in the top 50. And I am sure if they even got that kind of potential to be top 50 players. The generation after Capriati, Rubin, Davenport, Williams Sisters they just don't got that spark that special quality of being champions. These players I would be surprised if any of them Hayes, Perry, Harkleroad, King, Jackson made the top 20.
The Williamses, Davenport and possible Capriati aren't done yet -- and while there may not seem to be much talent there, there is, including juniors that'll be up and coming. I'd wait a few years before saying American tennis is doomed.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I think Venus, Serena & Davenport especially still have some more slams left in them... or at least good runs.. King & Jackson seem to be improving. They won't be superstars but the US has been spoiled (in a good way:)) to have dominating players for the last 30 years...eventually there had to be a rough patch. I agree with Paialii who says there are some good juniors coming up.... In a few more years we'll have some more stars I'm sure. How long b4 Alexus Jones is ready for the WTA :lol:

·
Banned
56 Posts
Paialii said:
The Williamses, Davenport and possible Capriati aren't done yet -- and while there may not seem to be much talent there, there is, including juniors that'll be up and coming. I'd wait a few years before saying American tennis is doomed.
Williamses want to be "talented artists", Capriati is partying and Davenport just cant wait to have kids, I say the time is now...lol...Seriously, they are lucky Linzi is not pregnant yet.

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
no matter. america will experience its first rough patch, so what? america still has thousands of girls picking up their racquets everyday, playing in amazing conditions with amazing coaches. it's only a matter of time before the americans get back to the top.

and those who are relishing a terrible american decline, maybe you should consider what kinds of detrimental effects that could have on a tour that draws most of its wealth from american investors.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Morrissey said:

Hmmm that's strange cause I remember Ashley being in the top 50 in '03 :scratch: Plus she's coming off a long lay off and she's doing pretty well this year. :p

As for American tennis after this generation of players on both sides there isn't much to look forward to. But I'm sure there's some amazingly talented 10 yr old some in the US that's going to carry the torch of American tennis. :)

Reactions: bigshow21

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Jennifer, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, and Chanda are not through with their careers - we still have 3 slams left - Lindsay has a great shot @ Wimbledon as she does every year - she is my pick to win it. As for the U.S. Open, gotta go with Jennifer :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
vogus said:
one word will save American tennis: MARIA SHARAPOVA.
Last time I look Maria played with RUS before her name doesn't that mean she represents Russia and also there are many talented young American players coming up give them a chance to make their marks. Maria is over rated and inconsistant.

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
give Vania time

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
vogus said:
one word will save American tennis: MARIA SHARAPOVA.
:haha: :lol: (those are two words though)...some tennis journalist also said the same thing - that maybe it's time to offer Sharapova US citizenship. ;)

Anyway, the idea of Maria playing for the US :ras:...I hope it never happens.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Lindsayfan32 said:
Maria is over rated and inconsistant.
:rolls: :lol: May I then ask which players, in your eyes, have been consistent over the past year or two? I sure would wanna know how far down Maria is in your list of players ranked according to how consistent they have been. :D

overrated? how many more wins should Maria have over Lindsay for you to maybe ponder that opinion of yours? :p

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
RJWCapriati05 said:
Jennifer, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, and Chanda are not through with their careers - we still have 3 slams left - Lindsay has a great shot @ Wimbledon as she does every year - she is my pick to win it. As for the U.S. Open, gotta go with Jennifer :)

I suppose you are just having a nice little fantasy. But, in case you are serious, look at the calendar. It's 2006. That last digit is a six, not a zero.

I am sure the women you mentioned are not through with their careers, but, except for Lindsey, they are through with the tennis part of their careers. If Lindsey can recover quickly enough, she may play a few more tournaments.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
bellascarlett said:
Anyway, the idea of Maria playing for the US :ras:...I hope it never happens.

Oh my dear lord I second that!

·
Registered
34,574 Posts
Morrissey said:
For the first time since 1990 no American woman reached the quaterfinals of the Miami event.
That's because there was no Davenport, Venus Williams, Serena Williams or Jennifer Capriati.

Morrissey said:
American women's tennis is in dire straits. I disagree with Jill Craybas press conference yesterday. The next generation doesn't look very promising from America. Jackson, Harkleroad, Perry, King, Hayes are all short in size, talent, and ability. None of these players are even in the top 50.
In time, I guarantee you that at least one out of Jackson, Harkleroad, Perry, King and Hayes will be top 50.

Morrissey said:
And I am sure if they even got that kind of potential to be top 50 players. The generation after Capriati, Rubin, Davenport, Williams Sisters they just don't got that spark that special quality of being champions. These players I would be surprised if any of them Hayes, Perry, Harkleroad, King, Jackson made the top 20.[/
I think Jill Craybas beating Kim Clijsters and Meghann Shaughnessy beating Justine Henin-Hardenne shows that American women's tennis is not doomed :p

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
The sad thing about all this is that the decline has been around for several years since Davenport and the Williams sisters began their climb to the top and Capriati made her amazing comeback.

It's when all of them began to get older and injured that we all of a sudden realized that there wasn't an immediate next generation to either challenge them or be groomed as the next great American hope.

I mean who knows what is gonna happen. Shenay Perry could all of a sudden become a huge threat to the top. She still has time. And like some mentioned, Vania King has skyrockted to the top 100.

We are just gonna have to wait and see I guess.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts