·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
think about it:

chang is chinese
agassi is iranian
sampras is greek

i mean there is always roddick and fish, blake, ginepri, dent, but who knows how far they will go...

its just that it pisses me off when americans brag about their past tennis heroes of the last decade or so..

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
something to think about...i guess you can figure out the point yourself, thats if you're smart enough...

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,143 Posts
First of WTAWORLD

2ND
All were born in the USA - All won Grand Slams.

3rd
Express your point more clearly!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
seldom83 said:
I mean there is always Roddick, Fish, Blake, Ginepri and Dent, but who knows how far they will go?
Nah!! Everyone knows Blakey is English!! :p

If your point is that Sampras, Agassi and Chang can trace their ancestry back to immigrants; isn't that the case with all American players (a lot of Europeans too) except, perhaps, Rosie Cassals?

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Very confusing post! No real point in here, is there?

Are you talking about the fact that Chang, Agassi & Sampras don't have an English name? :confused:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You might have made more sense talking about the women.

Navratilova --born in Czechoslovakia
Seles -- Yugoslavia
GiGi Fernandez -- Puerto Rico
MJ Fernandez -- Dominican Republic
Tanasugarn --born Los Angeles,Ca, place of residence, Bankok, Thailand.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Actually, I wonder if Chang, Agassi and Sampras are first or second generation Americans. If they are, it's probably easier to say that they are a product of their heritage. If they are first or second generation Americans, it's not likely that their parents would totally avoid all mention of their familial ancestry and culture. But having said all that...

Why hasn't Chang's Chinese background, Agassi's Iranian background and Sampras' Greek background influenced those particular countries to produce some top players? Don't most countries adopt Americans who have the same background as them? The Aussies do it all the time. If there's a chance someone is remotely Australian like Taylor Dent, the Aussies will claim 'em on the spot. ;)

The Chinese definitely see Chang as one of their own even though he speaks with an American accent, and is American through-and-through. For the reason of his background, he has brought popularity to tennis all over Asia, and his presence has inspired the likes of Paradorn Srichaphan.

Chang's influence in Asia easily surpasses that of Agassi and Sampras in the Middle East and the Mediterranean, respectively. You only have to look at the roaring success of the Masters Cup in Shanghai or the wild fans that flock to see the tournaments in Hong Kong and Japan. Where are the young Iranian boys wanting to emulate Agassi? Where are the young Greek boys looking up to Sampras?

It strikes me as odd, but then I realize there are relatively few ATP events in Iran or Greece, so how would Agassi or Sampras even begin to promote the game over there? Is television coverage enough? Do Greeks and Iranians know of Agassi and Sampras' backgrounds?

I'm not sure if that's off-topic or not. No offence.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Agassi's background is only half Iranian. His dad was a boxer, not some tennis player...so it's not like he was part of some national tennis movement in Iran.
Besides, what kind of straws are you grasping at here?
I could go on:
Philippousis is Australian...but Greek
Mary Pierce is French...but born in Canada...but was American
Rusedski is British...but Canadian...but British if you go back more...but Eastern European if you go farther...but Central Asian if you go farther...but Middle Eastern even farther yet...but African if you go back some more.

Why aren't there more African tennis players? :lol:

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
seldom83 said:
think about it:

chang is chinese
agassi is iranian
sampras is greek

i mean there is always roddick and fish, blake, ginepri, dent, but who knows how far they will go...

its just that it pisses me off when americans brag about their past tennis heroes of the last decade or so..
99% of American tennis 'heroes' ALL-TIME trace their ancestry to other countries. Ya see, we identify the parents, grandparents, and/or great-grandparents of future champs, and bribe them to move here. Or just buy them outright and move them here as slaves. Then, a couple generations down the line, voila! 'American' tennis champ!

It's all really slick, when you think about it.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
I thought Seles was from Hungary... and since when did Tamarine Tanasugarn represent America?? :confused:

And as for the men, I don't think that Agassi being Iranian and Sampras being Greek are the most widely known bits of trivia in the world. It was news to me at any rate.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
sunset said:
Except for the Native Americans / Aborigines.
Indians have been proven to be originally from Mongolia. They came across the Bering Land Bridge millennia ago.

There are actually NO "native Americans."

..Joe

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
controlfreak said:
I thought Seles was from Hungary... and since when did Tamarine Tanasugarn represent America?? :confused:

And as for the men, I don't think that Agassi being Iranian and Sampras being Greek are the most widely known bits of trivia in the world. It was news to me at any rate.
Monica's family is Hungarian - but she was born in yugoslavia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts