Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen her play twice....and she has game. She is choosing to continue on in college or something i think...so she doesn't play much, but...her game is great. She's not very quick, but she crushes the balls. Her match against Clijsters in the 1st round of the US open was fairly high quality and I think she can go far....

What are your thoughts about her?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I wouldn't say crushes the ball. She's no where near the level of Williams x2, Davenport, or Henin-Hardenne.

To me, she's like Sugiyama, except she's not as good, not as feisty, not as quick, and not as consistent.

·
Banned
959 Posts
If you are below top 50, then you'll be living a hard life, even in ATP, this WTA with about 10% of ATP prizemoney:rolleyes: How easy do you think life is going to be for her? Graduating with a Economics degree from Stanford gets you jobs that pay more than the world's #20 player gets. It is really not a glamorous life as you may think.

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
That match against Clijsters was Amber playing at the top of her game. Amber is usually wayyyy more passive than she was that night against Kim. I saw her play a couple months later at a challenger event, and she's essentially a retriever that's prone to making a lot of mistakes. She has some good counterpunching ability when she's playing well, but that's about one match out of four. If she puts everything together she could be top 75, but realistically I don't see her moving too far past the top 200. She took the confidence from her NCAA win last year and sort of parlayed that into a couple of good showings (finals of a 50K challenger, 2nd round at Stanford and then that match against Kim.) She did that again this year with the tight match against Frazier. Realistically though, she'll be a one of the pack player floating between the 175-250 range.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Bradshaw#1 said:
That match against Clijsters was Amber playing at the top of her game. Amber is usually wayyyy more passive than she was that night against Kim. I saw her play a couple months later at a challenger event, and she's essentially a retriever that's prone to making a lot of mistakes. She has some good counterpunching ability when she's playing well, but that's about one match out of four. If she puts everything together she could be top 75, but realistically I don't see her moving too far past the top 200. She took the confidence from her NCAA win last year and sort of parlayed that into a couple of good showings (finals of a 50K challenger, 2nd round at Stanford and then that match against Kim.) She did that again this year with the tight match against Frazier. Realistically though, she'll be a one of the pack player floating between the 175-250 range.
Totally agree

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
backhanddtl4 said:
I think she could at least make top 100, if....

If she spent more time on tennis....maybe top 50 or better
She just doesn't have anything to threaten anyone, or even be in the running for a top 100, let alone top 50 spot.

She's a counterpuncher (a dying breed), she doesn't have too much power, she's not that fast, she's pretty inconsistent for a counterpuncher, and doesn't have much of a serve.

She could make top 100 if she's lucky, but I don't see any better than that.

·
Banned
589 Posts
"Graduating with a Economics degree from Stanford gets you jobs that pay more than the world's #20 player gets."

Not really, buddy. Not so long as she's in her 20s it won't.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
At this point, Amber is still playing just good enough to be a great Collegiate player. She started her sophomore year at Stanford with some bad losses but finished with a bang.

Hell, back to back NCAA titles is nothing to sneeze at.

But heck the summer is just getting started so who knows what she might do from here on out.

But I also agree she does not seem to play enough tennis and I don't know what her practice regimen really is. I think her former collegiate foes Jewel Peterson and Vilmarie Castevelli are doing better in the Challenger events at this point.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
She's cute.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,727 Posts
I saw her NCAA final win on TV and wasn't really impressed at all. :unsure:

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,727 Posts
so are thousands of other players. :confused:

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
as someone who has also seen her play at the challenger level a few times, when the spotlight isnt on her, i agree with bradshaw's comments
no real weapons, small build, error prone, etc

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
If Amber's smart she'll stay in college, if she thinks she can make it on the tour, she's fooling herself BIG time.

Then again if she leaves Stanford...that spells good news for every Division I tennis school...they'll only have three starting singles players for next season :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts