Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon Prime Video has acquired the exclusive rights to show the Roland-Garros French Open Tennis night sessions as well as all matches taking place on the Simonne-Mathieu court in France in a three-year deal starting in 2021. Prime members in France will have access to this coverage at no additional cost to their membership.

Prime members will be able to watch all ten night session matches starting at 9pm each night and featuring top players and match-ups of the competition. Prime members can also enjoy exclusive daily coverage of all matches played on the newly built Simonne-Mathieu court and live coverage of Men’s and Women’s Singles and Doubles Semi-Finals and Finals, as well as daily highlights of all the action throughout the tournament.

Prime Video’s tournament coverage will also include top French commentary and in-studio discussions and analysis with tennis experts, while full match replays will also be available for hardcore tennis fans who want to experience the full match experience at any time.

Prime members in France will be able to watch Roland-Garros content on the Prime Video app for TVs, game consoles and connected devices, including Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV, mobile devices and online at primevideo.com.

“Prime Video is focused on bringing our French customers a great selection of high-quality entertainment and now we are adding live sports on top of all the great series and movies they can already enjoy as part of their Prime membership. We are thrilled to be offering Prime members in France coverage of such an iconic event, their favorite tennis Grand Slam of the year,” said Alex Green, MD Prime Video Sport EU. “We are excited by the new Roland-Garros night sessions, which we think will be among the year’s top sporting moments, all available to Prime members at no extra cost.”
https://advanced-television.com/2019/07/25/amazon-nets-french-open-rights-in-france/

Les droits audiovisuels de Roland-Garros attribués à France télévisions et Amazon

Le premier lot des droits audiovisuels de Roland-Garros est revenu à France Télévisions. Amazon diffusera uniquement les matches joués sur le court Simonne-Mathieu et en sessions de soirée sur le court Philippe-Chatrier.
Le partenariat historique entre la Fédération française de tennis et France télévisions se prolongera jusqu'en 2023. Le lot 1 des droits audiovisuels de Roland-Garros a été attribué aux chaînes du service public, qui pourront donc diffuser l'intégralité de matches du Grand Chelem parisien, hormis ceux disputés sur le court Simonne-Mathieu et en sessions de soirée. Delphine Ernotte, PDG de France Télévisions, avait promis de « tout faire » pour conserver le tournoi, qui fait selon elle partie de « l'identité de la chaîne ».
Le lot 2, incluant donc les matchs du court Simonne-Mathieu et les sessions de soirée, est lui revenu à Amazon, alors que les demi-finales et finales seront co-diffusées. D'ores et déjà présent sur le marché du tennis avec plusieurs compétitions diffusées en Grande-Bretagne, dont l'US Open, le géant américain diffusera ses matches sur la plateforme payante « Prime video ». Cette nouvelle répartition met fin à l'historique diffusion de Roland-Garros sur Eurosport, qui durait depuis 27 ans.
Dans son communiqué, la FFT s'est réjoui de l'augmentation des droits de diffusion de la compétition, révélant que les revenus perçus augmenteraient de « plus de 25% » entre 2021 et 2023 par rapport à la période 2018-2020.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actua...levisions-le-deuxieme-lot-pour-amazon/1043445

·
Registered
115,519 Posts
Makes sense. Bezos is a big tennis fan and they are starting to get more into sports

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20030822005089/en/Jeff-Bezos-Anna-Kournikova-Hold-Court-Grand

Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos and Anna Kournikova are inviting the public to watch them play a charity hit-around at Grand Central Terminal's Vanderbilt Hall from 1 p.m. to 1:40 p.m. today, the day Amazon.com starts selling the Anna Kournikova Multiway sports bra and the week leading up to the U.S. Open.

Amid the buzz of Grand Central Terminal, Jeff and Anna will engage in a light-hearted tennis rally during the TENNIS Magazine Grand Slam. Jeff and Anna will kick off the event by introducing the product and offering opening remarks. Having last won a tennis match at age 13, Jeff has also challenged Anna to a typing tournament -- her choice of keyboard.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
They do everything for Tennis not to be seen on TV.
College basketball, minor league baseball, everything is on TV any time.
But try to find a tennis match, hell no.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Just one more little step into making Amazon Prime indispensable for more people, in this case French tennis fans.

Once they are Amazon Prime members, they won't shop online anywhere else.

In 2030, we'll all rent our homes from Amazon, eat Amazon food and deliver packages for them on our way back from work.

·
La nuit je mens
87,988 Posts
They got only Simonne Mathieu and night sessions (with SFs and F). Thankfully the free France Televisions got the biggest part (all matches except Simonne Mathieu and night sessions).

I have huge doubts about Amazon strategy here. I don't know many people in France that would suscribe to their service only to see matches on the third court and night sessions. Really not attractive.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have huge doubts about Amazon strategy here. I don't know many people in France that would suscribe to their service only to see matches on the third court and night sessions. Really not attractive.
It's just a small part of the entire strategy to nudge people towards Prime membership.

Exclusive deals, exclusive content on Prime video, etc.

Nobody will become member for the tennis coverage alone, but it could break their last resistance.

Right now, when using Amazon Germany I have to confirm at every order that I don't want to try Prime. They want to make people feel strange for not being a Prime member.

·
Premium Member
182,075 Posts
Night sessions in France when it gets dark at 10pm ?

Reactions: Absolute10

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
Yeah

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They got only Simonne Mathieu and night sessions (with SFs and F). Thankfully the free France Televisions got the biggest part (all matches except Simonne Mathieu and night sessions).

The France Television coverage sucks, everybody knows that. Eurosport losing tv rights to Amazon is the most frustrating part. They've been doing a great job for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Eurosport was providing an excellent, almost perfect with the streaming Eurosport Player, all courts (really!), since the very first day, and all in HD.

And the subscription cost, including all the other sports, was very cheap.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
How does this bring new people into tennis?
That's a good question. The cricket world cup final between England & New Zealand was recently shown live on terrestrial tv here in England and they got double the audience they would usually get on Sky.

I hope Wimbledon doesn't end up on Sky or Amazon one day if the British government removes special status for Wimbledon coverage on terrestrial television.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts