Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Well nowadays we have seen people luck into slams through draws or match ups, it's impossible to predict someone will never win a slam. I mean people were saying the same thing about Barty a few years ago and now she's so close to winning a slam.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think Osaka not winning another slam is unlikely, given that she is still pretty young.
I also think that it's hard to predict her future, as there can always be dips in form, injuries and all kinds of events that send one promising player off road.

Kvitova and Azarenka both seemed destined to have 5+ slams at least, but then life happened (pregnancy and a knife attack). Azarenka was also very consistent in WTA tournaments, which Osaka isn't, while Kvitova has been erratic, but less so than Naomi.

Yet, Osaka won 2 slams back to back, a feat that Azarenka got really close to in 2012-2013, but didn't achieve.

So, given the level she has showed so far, I would say she has a nice career in front of her, and a couple more slams to win, but getting 10+ slams seems out of the realm of possibilities, unless she drastically improves her game and avoids injuries and other off-tennis life events.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
3 or 4 years? That's a VERY long time in tennis. Anything can happen with other players also developing and coming through. Osaka may have just found herself with a window of opportunity, or she may stay the course. Time will tell!
I agree with you but like sharapova i can see naomi improving because she has the desire , she has very big career goals and i m sure she will put hardwork :smile2:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You’ll get no backlash from me. I don’t think it’s implausible to say that she is capable of 10 slams. But, as we all know, the capacity to win that many is far different from having the drive and determination to make it happen. And yes, I agree Venus and Maria both looked capable of 10+ slams early in their careers, but unfortunately for them Serena was almost always in the way. In the absence of a clear and dominant Serena-like player, perhaps Naomi could have a slightly easier path to claiming more titles, if she improves her mentality and consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@GAGirl thanks for being sweet because as much as i try to be reasonable people still call me a blind fan of hers. I have faith in her but no delusional that she will 30 slams or something. She has the game for double digit slam winner but anything can happen in future.
Naomi plays same brand of tennis like serena but ofcourse nowhere near peak serena but her game is modeled on her and it will always helps her in slams bcoz her game can peak anywhere and she has the mentality. like she wanted calendar slam and used to think she will win slam by 18. Ofcourse we can call her delusional, but if u dont have goals, how will u achieve them?
I myself criticize her when she sulks on court and perform badly but some just want to see her downfall. Winning 2 slams in row cant be called fluke

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Typical TF reaction. Naomi loses early at the French Open on her worst surface and now her career is over. :rolleyes: And not surprisingly the thread is opened by a Halep fan. Some of them are incredibly bothered by her success.
Also add theories that we think she will end up as goat when we never claimed that. We just see she has potential to win many but not delusional to think she will end up with 30. You see when people hate on young player with her recent success there must be something good bcoz young player's success is bothering many:SNE:

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,222 Posts
Sharapova is a much better player than Osaka and only won 5, although it is a weaker era now.

Osaka will probably end up with 3-4 slams, shes an Ivanovic calibre player but it's a weak era so...

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion it's the strongest era, that's why some big names can't reach their old record anymore. Your Radwanska for instance, was thrown to the 40-50th place, and her play looked like she's the number 80th in the world or so.

I am from Italy and we had Errani, and even Schiavone and Vinci as top players, that was laughable. Eranni is 260th now, it shows the current level which is a fantastic era. But having 100-200 solid players, there is so much competivity that everybody can lose to everybody. My two cents.

·
She has the game to win more and the attitude to win more as well. She said at her FO press conference after her first match that she feels like the pressure to win 3 in a row made her want to win the tournament really badly. I'd say that hunger and desire to win is a pretty good indicator that she'll win more slams.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
I think she will win a few more, (2-3). Though I don't think she will win RG or Wimbledon, she will always be dangerous at the HC slams.

But then again, who thought Ivanovic would end her career as a one-slam wonder when she won RG in 2008, having also reached the AO final a few months earlier. :shrug:
Who thought in 2014 that Vika and Petra would still be at 2 slams? :shrug:
Who thought in 2015 that Angie would surpass both of them? :shrug:

Nothing is for granted in tennis ;)

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
I think she will win a few more, (2-3). Though I don't think she will win RG or Wimbledon, she will always be dangerous at the HC slams.

But then again, who thought Ivanovic would end her career as a one-slam wonder when she won RG in 2008, having also reached the AO final a few months earlier. :shrug:
Who thought in 2014 that Vika and Petra would still be at 2 slams? :shrug:
Who thought in 2015 that Angie would surpass both of them? :shrug:

Nothing is for granted in tennis ;)
BINGO!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Well said!!

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
I think Osaka not winning another slam is unlikely, given that she is still pretty young.
I also think that it's hard to predict her future, as there can always be dips in form, injuries and all kinds of events that send one promising player off road.

Kvitova and Azarenka both seemed destined to have 5+ slams at least, but then life happened (pregnancy and a knife attack). Azarenka was also very consistent in WTA tournaments, which Osaka isn't, while Kvitova has been erratic, but less so than Naomi.

Yet, Osaka won 2 slams back to back, a feat that Azarenka got really close to in 2012-2013, but didn't achieve.

So, given the level she has showed so far, I would say she has a nice career in front of her, and a couple more slams to win, but getting 10+ slams seems out of the realm of possibilities, unless she drastically improves her game and avoids injuries and other off-tennis life events.
By Vika and Petra both had years off not winning slams before their situations occured. Vike seem to lose her focus and intensity due to injury and Petra has always been a mystery not quick solved on how to get her to play peak tennis more often through a slam.

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Typical TF reaction. Naomi loses early at the French Open on her worst surface and now her career is over. :rolleyes: And not surprisingly the thread is opened by a Halep fan. Some of them are incredibly bothered by her success.
As I said, she's physically holding two slams right now, how on earth does anyone conclude she won't win another. It's possible but there certainly isn't any reason to rationally think so right now.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Haha mocking of Naomi by a particular fan group and their fave who is supposedly best player according to them got schooled by a 17 years old girl. How pathetic 😀😂😂
So she is over too I guess🤣🤣🤣.
God is real. Karma exists

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know how you can say that. She hadnt won any last time last year and now has two. She is still very young, plenty of opportunity for her to improve yet.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
At first I dismissed this thread's question but we have seen a number of players threaten to dominate only to fall back to the pack, Oaska has a great game and could win 5 to 10 slams or more but its also possible we could see her go a year or two with no slams. She has too good a game to be ruled out but there are enough weaknesses to potentially limited her but she is still young and her peak is a good four to eight years away.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am surprised by all these posters in different threads predicting Osaka winning 22+ slams.

I don't know how people think that would be possible with her limited play style. She has a big forehand well suited for baseline ball bashing. She hit out the court opponents in two slams, but with her repetitive play style and lack of variety I think she is going to be exposed and not reach another slam final.

In fact I think this is what has been happening in the last couple of months rather than the shock of Sascha break-up, players have grown accustomed to her style and without improving her game intelligence, net play and with a serve that is nowhere near as effective as peak Serena, I don't see how she has any chance to be the dominant player everyone predicts she will be.
Yes

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Osaka is statistically the worst player in history to win more than a single slam. If she wins a third, it signals the death of the WTA - truly the weakest era in history.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts