Tennis Forum banner

Am I Assuming Incorrectly About Hingis?

765 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  destructo_girl 
#1 ·
Okay, tell me, after I read Hingis' interview (AO final) I thought she was really positive, which was unexpected. I also read an article or two about the match and then another impression came upon me: Martina did not seem to have gone into the match expecting to win. Why do I say this? She seemed too comfortable in the postmatch interview, not disappointed enough. I mean, there's no reason to kill yourself over a tennis match, but maybe if there had been a little bit more intensity, maybe if she had been just a wee bit more upset with herself (when was the last time she had four match points in a grand slam final?) then I would say, this girl is determined not to let this happen to her again.

On the one hand, I prefer when a person is calm and has a quiet confidence (she did also seem patient and knows that she will win again, and I think she will too). I know I'm contradicting myself, but I just feel that she was somehow resigned to the fact that Capriati would win. I am not particularly a fan of hers, but she is important to the sport, and besides, I like when it is competitive.

So anyway, despite my rambling, I want to know if anyone felt her resignation as well, or how you felt about what might have been her approach towards the match, or her reaction afterwards.

#2 ·
Someone did mistakenly post Martina's semifinal post match interview from OZ the the interview after the final. She did seem perky in that interview. Her interview after the final seemed quite like she'd given everything she had and was too drained for even sadness.

But then again, Martina's fan probably know her moods better than I do.

#3 ·
she was devastated, .. and yes maybe in that post match interview she looked a bit comfortable, maybe she was just too drained to feel something at the moment. But right after the match, you can tell that she was completely heart broken. She told her mom she would prefered to have lost 2 and 2 rather than having those match points; I cannot imagine how sad she was when she said that.

#5 ·
She was glad it was over, that's different to being comfortable with the loss. Once she had lost I'm sure she thought 'of course I lost - it was Jennifer, it was a power player' but I really thought she went into that final believing she at least had a 50-50 shot at it. We'll see how she does against Seles in Tokyo final.

#6 ·
This is shocking.

She was devastated after her loss. She's brave for everything she said in her speech and in her interview, I reckon.

At first she wished she didn't lose that way, but then Melanie points out how close she was, and that it was a good thing. And now Martina's happy with herself for getting so far, and for all the rest of her accomplishments thus far, so soon after her return from an injury.

Why get on her case, just cos she's happy and looking on the bright side, as opposed to getting down on herself, losing confidence, and going back into a slump?

Just because she has a brave face, and is being optimistic, doesn't mean she doesn't care about her loss, and accepted that she was going to lose beforehand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.