Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to know how she is organising her schedule this year.
She has now played the 4th week in a row, next week Qatar will be the 5th week and then even Dubai after that !?
Well, I doubt she will play Scottsdale the week after that, but she probably won't skip the 2 following big events.
My question: Is one week break enough to recover from a 6-week-marathon ?
And WHY does she play this schedule ??? I mean, it's Dokic-like. From Japan to France and then back to Qatar. And that can be risky, remember Lindsay's injury after playing 4 weeks in a row.
I wonder what is her motivation for maybe risking her health.

·
Registered
16,601 Posts
I wonder the same thing. Doha is a tier III tournament - there seems little point in her competing there, unless she likes demolishing players who are ranked way below her.

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. And she is such a good hard-court player, maybe she should save her energy for the huge events in the USA.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I thought she withdraw from next week?

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, but couldn't she just have said 'no' ? Or skip Nice for that ?

irma, she is in the draw. Maybe she WILL withdraw, but nothing official yet. :confused:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I guess the people on cnn were wrong then.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Its a bit of a crazy schedule, but the WTA basically guarantees a Tier III tournament that they will have one top 10 player. There are a few exceptions but mostly this is true.

So maybe they figured since was going to Dubai she was the logical one.

I know also Monica very rarely backs out of commitments, so she played Paris, even though she probably should have skipped it.
At this point she probably figures she might as well be in Doha next week as anywhere else.

But I hope it's not too much tennis, that she stays healthy and still has energy for Indian Wells

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
188,888 Posts
Now she can rest a few days, before she HAS to play in Doha.

But I wonder, is the a WTA rule saying, she can't just lose her first match in Doha? ;)

(And so have more days rest before the bigger tourny in Dubai starts)

·
Premium Member
182,354 Posts
In a Tier III.... Player commitment is as follows

One of the Top 10 or 3 of the top 20.

They probably couldn't get anyone else.

Hingis was there last year
Lindsay, Serena, and Kim injured

Justine, Dokic, Venus, Amelie in Antwerp

It was left between either Jen or Monica

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It's not that bad!
She will get about 4 days off, then about 2 o 3 after she wins Doha!!!
If she plays scotsdale by god i'll come after her and tie her to a chair!!!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
You may bring her up. She will be fine for Indian Wells. The interval between the Dubai final and when the seeds at IW play is nearly 2 weeks. Her schedule previous to that, hoewver, is not pleasing. I wouldn't have been too bothered by it before she added Doha, but that is just plain too much. Hopefully the loss to Dokic will have taught her a lesson.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
That's Jen, Monica, Martina, or Venus, Egg. Remember, when Monica agreed to this foolishness, Venus had the week off and Serena was in Antwerp. Of the 4, she was the only one committed the weeks before and after. So guess who was the only one actually willing to help the tour anyway? Yes, the usual. "Reliable Seles", rarely says no, is dependable, and never loses her first match.

Plus, I believe Lindsay would be replaced on the Gold Exempt list, given her absence is more than 6 weeks.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,196 Posts
She's probably playing Doha because of an appearance fee. She'll probably get in the upwards of $75,000 just for coming to this event and signing a few autographs and showing up at a party. And Monica being as Jon Wertheim puts it 'a money grubber', she probably wants it.

I think these appearance fees really detract from the depth of tennis. Hingis got around 100,000 for playing Dubai last year and she demolished the competition. I think that they need some top players to play, but surely Sandrine and ARANTXA are enough for them!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Because she lost in Paris, the situation might not be that bad after all! At Doha and Dubai she'll have a first-round bye, which means more rest! At Doha she's the #1 seed I guess. She will probably win the tournament pretty easily. I don't think we'll see tough three setters...for Seles anyways!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
How unfair to say Monica was a money grubber.

Wertheim was only saying she was thrifty, not that she chased after money.

Monica could have done a lot of things differently if she was only interested in money.

I think the whole thing about appearance fees is wildly overrated.

·
Premium Member
27,121 Posts
I always thought that Wertheim said that Seles "likes getting paid" actually.

Anyway that is beside the point. She deserves every penny, not just for turning up but also for the fact that she'll put the same amount of effort into that tier III that she'd put into a grand slam.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Too true Kart

I think this schedual is appaling why did she play it its too much shes gonna get injured and i don't want her too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts