Tennis Forum banner

4601 - 4610 of 4610 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Mandy has been in the news this morning, because of her public complaints about the playing conditions (pollution)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
On a lighter note, Mandy - during her pre-Christmas media tour - was a guest of the RTL.lu "Afterwork" podcast, a "relaxed" (partly silly) interview recorded in front of a pub audience.

An audio stream is now available (30 minutes, in luxembourgish):

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

Mandy spoke to tageblatt.lu about the current situation in Melbourne.

She went to the training court on Wednesday morning to warm up for her QR1 match. It was 37° hot and the air quality was so bad that she struggled a lot, unable to give 100%.

The day before (when Dalila Jakupovic collapsed), she stayed inside and did not practice.

She had hoped that the Wednesday matches would be cancelled, but the start of the matches was merely delayed, from 10:00 to 13:00. In the end, her match did not take place due to the rain. She hopes that the rain will get rid of the worst smog. The delay itself does not cause her a problem.

Mandy is very disappointed by the tournament organizer and the WTA. Maybe it needs Serena Williams or Roger Federer to complain for the organizers to prioritize the health of the players.

Her match will be on court 12, after Daniel/Milojevic (to be finished, 5/5 in the first set). Matches start at 13:00 (03:00 CET).

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
QR1: (29) Mandy Minella d. Jessika Ponchet 6/2, 7/5

I was a bit afraid that Mandy was distracted by her anger about the playing conditions in the past days, but she was very clutch.

Jessika helped her a lot in the first set, with many unforced errors. The second set was very tight. Jessika was very agressive and could have turned the match any time, but Mandy coped well with the pressure and managed to get a decisive break at 5/5.

Her QR2 opponent is not yet known (Radwanska or Larsson).

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Mandy faces Johanna Larsson in QR2.

Their H2H is 3/2 in favor of Johanna, but most matches were on clay. Both haven't won many matches lately.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
QR2: Johanna Larsson d. (29) Mandy Minella 6/2, 6/3

Mandy and Johanna have a very similar game, and Johanna was the better player today. Especially on the backhand side. Mandy fought well, but she was always behind in the score and as soon as she broke back she lost her serve again.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Mandy to wort.lu on her match:

"It was not my best day. I was always behind in the score. Johanna put a lot of pressure on me. I felt exhausted."

IMHO Mandy played better than in her first round. But she had a much tougher opponent.

The chances of passing the three quali rounds were rather small anyway.

·
Registered
18,958 Posts
Mandy to wort.lu on her match:

"It was not my best day. I was always behind in the score. Johanna put a lot of pressure on me. I felt exhausted."

IMHO Mandy played better than in her first round. But she had a much tougher opponent.

The chances of passing the three quali rounds were rather small anyway.
Bit disappointing though. Larsson had a slump since she's won the Nürnberg tournament in 2018. After this she's barely won a match. So I really did hope that Mandy could prevail against her. But unfortunately Larsson could recover from this. Lets wait and see if Mandy is able to give some more highlights in the last year of her career. Would be so nice and we all would be happy.

4601 - 4610 of 4610 Posts