Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who are the top 5 all-time all-round greats? by that i mean singles, ladies doubles and mixed doubles are all taken into account.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
1. Graf
2. Navritilova
3. Seles
4. Serena
5. Everet

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
serena? when does she play mixed doubles?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I didnt really take doubles into account except for Serena ...cause she wont all slams and gold medal

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
fried_beans said:
I didnt really take doubles into account except for Serena ...cause she wont all slams and gold medal
Yes, she won 6 Slams. Which is less than about 15 different players.

And a Gold Medal. Where not all the best players were allowed to compete. In Doubles.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
SINGLES.

1. Steffi Graf
2. Martina Navratilova
3. Chris Evert
4. Maureen Connelly
5. Serena Williams

DOUBLES.

1. Billie Jean King
2. Martina Navratilova
3. Natasha Zvereva
4. Margaret Court
5. Pam Shriver

I dont think its wise to do combined, cos its very difficult. I think overall, Graf is the greatest player ever, followed by Navratilova.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm not going to go into anything else besides the fact that Steffi Graf has got to be the BEST player ever in singles!
She has won EVERY singles grand slam AT LEAST 4 times, and a grand total of 22 grand slams! She was number one for well over 300 weeks in her career! She has won over 100 tournaments. She has almost won 1000 matches and has only lost about 100-200 I believe. She she STILL currently has the most prize money of all time for womens tennis, and she won most of it about a decade ago when the prize money was not near as much as it is now! She stayed on tour for a very impressive 17 years as well!
I don't think there is ANYONE who can argue with that...
Steffi Graf= BEST WOMENS SINGLES TENNIS PLAYER EVER!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
tennispro105 said:
I'm not going to go into anything else besides the fact that Steffi Graf has got to be the BEST player ever in singles!
She has won EVERY singles grand slam AT LEAST 4 times, and a grand total of 22 grand slams! She was number one for well over 300 weeks in her career! She has won over 100 tournaments. She has almost won 1000 matches and has only lost about 100-200 I believe. She she STILL currently has the most prize money of all time for womens tennis, and she won most of it about a decade ago when the prize money was not near as much as it is now! She stayed on tour for a very impressive 17 years as well!
absolutely but saying she won all the grandslams at least 4 times each doesnt quite put it in perspective as she won Wimbledon SEVEN goddamn times - roland Garros 6, US Open 5 and the aussie open 4, and think about how many times she had to miss teh aussie due to injury.

She is the Undisputed Queen of the Courts!!

As Navratilova said when she lost her Wimbledon title to Steffi in 1988 - "if im gonna lose, id rather lose to a better player, and Steffi is teh best"

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
disposablehero said:
Yes, she won 6 Slams. Which is less than about 15 different players.

And a Gold Medal. Where not all the best players were allowed to compete. In Doubles.
Well, shouldn't Moody be removed from your list, then? Only until Althea Gibson was allowed to play were all the best players playing the game. :)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Singles:

1. Monica Seles (read my sig for summary, plus true role model)
2. Martina Navratilova (great records, a legend)
3. Chris Evert (great records)
4. Margaret Court (24 slams)
5. Billie Jean King (huge contributions for the tour)

Before people start saying "oh you forget Steffi Graf", sure she has big numbers but they are very inflated, half of her slams & weeks at no.1 came after the dominant no.1 Seles was stabbed. Heck even Aranxta dethroned her. Plus, she's never been gracious in defeat which is a necessity to be a great champion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
selesrules said:
Singles:

1. Monica Seles (read my sig for summary, plus true role model)
2. Martina Navratilova (great records, a legend)
3. Chris Evert (great records)
4. Margaret Court (24 slams)
5. Billie Jean King (huge contributions for the tour)

Before people start saying "oh you forget Steffi Graf", sure she has big numbers but they are very inflated, half of her slams & weeks at no.1 came after the dominant no.1 Seles was stabbed. Heck even Aranxta dethroned her. Plus, she's never been gracious in defeat which is a necessity to be a great champion.
lol, oh here we go with the monica gang starting their fairy tales. :lol:

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
tennispro105 said:
Obviously you haven't met 50% of the people who watch tennis.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
Pureracket said:
Well, shouldn't Moody be removed from your list, then? Only until Althea Gibson was allowed to play were all the best players playing the game. :)
I think the point he's trying to make is the Olympics are not on the level of GS for tennis. Which any logical fan will agree to.

Althea Gibson didn't compete during Helen Wills Moody's era, so your argument holds no water. And if we're going to "what if's", well how do you know there's not some poor African girl who's never seen a tennis racquet who might be the greatest female tennis player ever, if given the opportunity.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
liuxuan said:
lol, oh here we go with the monica gang starting their fairy tales. :lol:
The stabbing that destroyed Monica and gave Steffi a second career isn't a fairy tale, it's REALITY. Everyone knows that Monica was destined to be the greatest and that Graf got a HUGE lucky break.

Reactions: aussie_stars

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Pureracket said:
Just because African-Americans can now play tennis doesn't mean that it, or any other sport, is a fully equal opportunity activity. Indeed, African-Americans have always been at a significant advantage in terms of opportunity to many other groups of people... such as Africans.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
INsinglkes, doubles AND mixed

1. Margaret Court
2. Martina Navratilova
3. Billie Jean King
4. Helen Wills Moody
5. Steffi Graf

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
selesrules said:
The stabbing that destroyed Monica and gave Steffi a second career isn't a fairy tale, it's REALITY.
That's very true. But the fairy tale is refusing to acknowledge Steffi as one of the all-time greats due to a personal vendetta against her. Incidentally, many tennis analysts and commentators listed Steffi as one of the greatest ever as early as 1990, a good 3 years before Monica was stabbed. I know it's difficult to comprehend, but Steffi's career didn't begin in 1993.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
When will we learn to stop judging players against people they couldn't play. You don't make a 'greatest ever' list with 'wouldas', 'shouldas' and 'sposdas'.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts