Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been talked about here before, but a thought occured to me this morning watching Venus vs Seles...

What do you guys think to the theory that Venus and Serena get injured so often as a result of little match play as juniors, thereby exerting their bodies to sudden overuse and stress once they hit the tour? Sure they practised constantly as youngsters, but its not the same on the body as match play.
Everybody marvels at how they stayed off the junior circuit and yet still made it to the top, but perhaps we are seeing that it is better to break yourself into top flight tennis gradually...I guess at least they´ll never suffer 'burn out' because it seems they´ll never get to play anything like a full season. Opinions?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,084 Posts
What I think is one of the biggest reasons is that footwork of American players is not robust enough to quickly accomodate to surfaces. Look at Serena. Look at Roddick. If they are on a surface different from their native surface ( US hardcourts ), their ankles instantly take the hit. Other players suffer from knee injuries, groin injuies very often. But the source is the same - clumsy footwork. The only surface where they can play many weeks without injury is US hardcourts. I don't remember American players injured any often during July-September US hardcourts. That's what they were grown on.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
I am more generally worried by all these injuries we are seeing at the beginning of the season. This is extremely surprising.

I hope all these girls will recover fairly soon.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brickhousesupporter said:
Lindsay Davenport ruins this argument. She played the junoir tournaments and look at how injury prone she is.
Of course some players are going to be more injury prone than others...but there are different types of injuries too - damaging your knee by twisting it on your 22nd (?) tournament of the year is different to only being able to play a dozen or so due to tendonitis.
I dont know, it just struck me that the Williams sisters are probably in the best physical condition of any tennis player ever; but everytime they pick up a racket their bodies let them down. It´s not a criticism, I just wondered if there could be a link.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I can name a whole bunch of WTA players who are injury prone , this has nothing to do with american Black women. :rolleyes:

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse me? I was talking about a junior career being preparation for the physical strains of life on the professional tennis tour, not about skin colour. Read the thread properly next time, dont read things into that aren´t there - that´s extremely insulting.

·
20,610 Posts
Playing style for sure. When you throw your body into every shot like Lindsay, Venus and Serena, that happens.

And choice of hardcourt tournaments, they are very stressful on the body. Lindsay, Venus and Serena play so much of that.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
As far as Venus is concerned, I think it's the type of game she plays and her height. I think she's very athletic for a woman of her stature, but her knees tend to pay for it. She's been said to be the best "tall" mover in the history of tennis. Playing that type of running game that she does is not good on her joints. I think she may need to somehow strenghthen the tendons surronding her joints to cut down on the knee injuries. The same thing goes for Davenport to a certain extent. While she doesn't move as well as Venus does, she still has a lot of injuries, and I believe it's her height as well. Also the surface that they play on becomes a factor. I stated in similar thread that Lindsay and Venus tend to get injured on the Rebound Ace and Hardcourts more easily. They are usually ok on grass and clay.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Comes with the territory.

<EMBED SRC='http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=658010384/pagename=/RP/SHARE/soundclip.html/itemdescriptionid=1348647/disc=1/track=4/source=MP2/mpeg=2/mp2.mp2' VOLUME='90' HEIGHT='60' WIDTH='144' LOOP='infinite' AUTOSTART='true' HIDDEN='true' Pfont size='-2'Music>

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I agree with Williams_Rulz and Hail-Venus -- it's an aggressive style of play that is v. hard on the body. I also agree that Venus' and Lindsay's height is hard on their joints.. think of the impact that stopping and turning quickly is having on things like the knees, tendons, etc...

I am bummed that we have so many injuries this year already... It's only January! :(

·
10,772 Posts
The later theory sounds about right, but does that mean that in years to come more and more players will becoming injured more frequently because of the type of game women play more often now??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts