Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give her junk balls!!! Amelie is playing a perfect match and Serena is making tons of mistakes because Amelie is just giving her no pace and a ton of difference spins..

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I think the players who can know that. Trick is to keep it up. The interesting thing is how variable Serena now is and how often she will lose a rally if it gets going. Helps too if you don't have Momo's back and nerves.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
The players know it. It's just that Justine and Amelie (and Els Callens and Emile Loit) are the only players with the capability of playing matches that way. Jennifer can't suddenly become a junk ball player for one match.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
if Serena is not on, by all means do those shots that belong on a squash shot.

worked for Henin at the French, but not so successful today :)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Only if Serena lose her serve will they even get in the game.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
I think the players who can know that. Trick is to keep it up. The interesting thing is how variable Serena now is and how often she will lose a rally if it gets going. Helps too if you don't have Momo's back and nerves.
I think sometimes this works, but when Serena is on she can just blast those junk shots. Other players have had wins over Serena (e.g. Jenn) with different games. I know Serena is imposing, but I think you just have to try to play your game the best you can, ala Sprem v. Venus.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Well...she had plenty trouble with it....for sure, but in the end she adapted well to it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
dab2035 said:
I think sometimes this works, but when Serena is on she can just blast those junk shots. Other players have had wins over Serena (e.g. Jenn) with different games. I know Serena is imposing, but I think you just have to try to play your game the best you can, ala Sprem v. Venus.
It's also about mental strength. Amelie had her chances today but couldn't hold it together mentally. Henin-Hardenne is one of the few players who has held it together against Serena, though even she choked in their Roland Garros SF last year. Serena just couldn't capitalize.

Clijsters could have 2 extra wins over Serena if she were mentally stronger. She choked away both their Australian semifinal last year and their 1999 U.S. Open match. She - like Jennifer - starts playing not too lose when she gets ahead, and Serena eats that up.

As you said, players have to keep their gameplan going. Sprem contined to attack Venus throughout that match. She didn't suddenly play defensively.

Reactions: bandabou

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Well said jenglis.....it ain´t about gameplan, it´s about mental strength.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Knowing how to play serena in theory and actually doing it are two different things. On the flip side serena could also learn to not make so many errors and make life too difficult for herself. When you are 22 and hold six slams the most of any active player (bar seles) then her game is working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts