Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 GS Champions
AO 2011 Kim - losing to Rus at RG (R2)
RG 2011 Li - losing to Lisicki at SW19 (R2)
Wimbledon 2011 Kvitova - losing to Dulgheru in NY (R1)
and Now USO Stosur 2011 - losing to Cirstea in Australia (R1)

Also other first-time GS champions and their next GS results:
RG 2010 Fran - losing to Dushevina at SW19 (R2)
RG 2008 Ana - losing to Zheng at SW19 (R3)

List of other GS champions:
USO 2004 Sveta - losing to Sharapova in Australia (QF)
USO 1999 Sarin - losing to Likhovtseva in Australia (R4)
USO 2005 Kim - losing to Henin in Australia (SF)
Wimbledon 2004 Maria - losing to Pierce in the US (R3)
RG 2003 Justine - losing to Serena at SW19 (SF)

Only Venus Williams can have B2B Slam victories (2000 Wimbledon-USO)
ETA: And Capriati (2001 AO-RG)

Is this just a coincidence?

·
Registered
36,223 Posts
Re: All four GS Champions in 2011 failed to get past round 2 for their next slam...

Conspiracy! Just kidding.

Coincidence.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Re: All four GS Champions in 2011 failed to get past round 2 for their next slam...

I don't think it's a coincidence at all, most of the current players can't handle the pressure. It's amazing how the current group of players can't handle success.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Last year and probably this year and the next are just transitional years.
These kinds of fluke slam wins will happen.

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
I will say of all 4 winners from last year, Li's loss was a different type of loss. I don't think she played poorly in that match, she faced a red hot Lisicki, and it was a great match. I think it was Li losing MPs and the match there that lead to her downfall and not necessarily the RG win. Had she won that match, I feel like the talk would've been how good she did look.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I will say of all 4 winners from last year, Li's loss was a different type of loss. I don't think she played poorly in that match, she faced a red hot Lisicki, and it was a great match. I think it was Li losing MPs and the match there that lead to her downfall and not necessarily the RG win. Had she won that match, I feel like the talk would've been how good she did look.
Sure, Lisicki's strong form played a part in Na's loss. But the fact still remains that Na had very poor results for the rest of 2011 after winning the RG crown. It's not a coinsidence...

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
Sure, Lisicki's strong form played a part in Na's loss. But the fact still remains that Na had very poor results for the rest of 2011 after winning the RG crown. It's not a coinsidence...
I do think it all became an overwhelming experience for her, but I think what Na was so good at through 2010/2011 was fighting to the bitter end in close matches, and very much of the time coming through when the chips were down. As she did in Sydney in 2011 against Clijsters, against Woz at Oz, or against Petra at RG last year, she seemed to be able to get it together when it was close in the 3rd set. I think losing that match to Lisicki in a tight 3 setter when she had the lead, had a lot to do with her confidence dropping along with the overwhelming nature of being a first grand slam champion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts