Tennis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I asked Rollo's permission to post this, so here goes. Since so many of us like the players from the 70’s so much, I want to start a game of using only the best and most popular players from the 70’s. I made a list of 64 players from you to choose from,

LESLIE ALLEN (USA)
TRACY AUSTIN (USA)
SUE BARKER (GBR)
BETTINA BUNGE (GER)
LINKY BOSHOFF (RSA)

ROSIE CASALS (USA)
NATASHA CHMYREVA (URS)
MARGARET COURT (AUS)
BRIGETTE CUYPERS (RSA)
JO DURIE (GBR)

FRANCOISE DURR (FRA)
CHRIS EVERT LLOYD (USA)
ROZ FAIRBANK (RSA)
DIANNE FROMHOLTZ (AUS)
ZINA GARRISON (USA)

EVONNE GOOLAGONG CAWLEY (AUS)
HELEN GOURLAY CAULEY (AUS)
MONA GUERRANT (USA)
SYLVIA HANIKA (GER)
ANNE HAYDON JONES (GBR)

JULIE HELDMAN (USA)
ANNE HOBBS (USA)
TERRY HOLLADAY (USA)
ANDREA JAEGER (USA)
MIMA JAUSOVEC (YUG)

BARBARA JORDAN (USA)
KATHY JORDAN (USA)
BILLIE JEAN KING (USA)
ANN KIYOMURA (JPN)
LLANA KLOSS (RSA)

MARISE KRUGER (RSA)
MARCIE LOUIE (USA)
PEANUT LOUIE HARPER (USA)
IVANNA MADRUGA OSSES (ARG)
HANA MANDLIKOVA (CZE)

REGINA MARSIKOVA (CZE)
HELGA MASTHOFF (GER)
KATHY MAY-TEACHER (USA)
KERRY MELVILLE-REID (AUS)
OLGA MOROZOVA (URS)

BETSY NAGELSEN (USA)
MARTINA NAVRATILOVA (CZE)
JANET NEWBERRY (USA)
MARY LOU PIATEK (USA)
BARBARA POTTER (USA)

MARITA REDONDO (USA)
CANDY REYNOLDS (USA)
RENEE RICHARDS (USA)
NANCY RICHEY (USA)
JOANNE RUSSELL (USA)

VIRGINIA RUZICI (ROM)
KAZUKO SAWAMATSU (JPN)
PAM SHRIVER (USA)
MARIANA SIMIONESCU (ROM)
ANNE SMITH (USA)

GREER STEVENS (RSA)
BETTY STOVE (NED)
BETTY-ANN STUART (USA)
PAM TEEGUARDEN (USA)
RENATA TOMANOVA (CZE)

WENDY TURNBULL (AUS)
YVONNE VERMAAK (RSA)
VIRGINIA WADE (GBR)
SHARON WALSH (USA)

I have come up with a new way to score the matches. You would send in points from 1 to 59 in each set for three sets, but the highest number is not the winner of the set. The difference in the numbers for each individual set will give us the score. To determine the winner of each set, we will use a formula similar to the Rock, Paper Scissors game. For those of you not familiar with Rock, Paper scissors, it works this way,

Rock breaks scissors (rock wins)
Paper covers rock (paper wins)
Scissors cut paper (scissors wins)

I plan to use this formula with points, and adding tennis strokes in place of rock, paper, scissors. I replaced it with Slice, Flat and Topspin,

Slice is low with no pace, it throws flat shots off (Slice wins)
Flat robs topspin of precious backswing time, (flat wins)
Topspin is heavy and shoulder high, overpowers slice (topspin wins)

Going back, you would send in points from 1 to 59 for each of three sets, then you acompany that number with Slice, Flat or Topspin. This is a practice match.

Billie Jean King’s points are,

1st set 19 Flat
2nd set 42 Topspin
3rd set 53 Slice

Margaret Court’s points are,

1st set 3 Slice
2nd set 37 Slice
3rd set 14 Topspin

The points table is

01-09 is 7-5
10-19 is 6-4
20-29 is 6-3
30-39 is 6-2
40-49 is 6-1
50-59 is 6-0

Billie Jean King vs Margaret Court

Set One – Court’s Slice beats King’s Flat, the points table shows that Court wins the set 6-4.

Set Two – King’s Topspin beats Court’s Slice, King wins the set 7-5.

Set Three – Court’s Topspin beats King’s Slice, Court wins the set 6-2.

So, Margaret Court defeats Billie Jean King 6-4, 5-7, 6-2 . You can play whatever groundstroke combination you want with the points. You can play all, slice, all flat, all topspin. Mix them up or use (Flat, Slice, Slice) or use one of each (Topspin, Slice Flat).

If you both have the same style in any set, a coin toss will decide the winner. An example of this would be if Evert and Goolagong splits sets, and in the third set Evert had 57 Flat to Goolagong’s 19 Flat. Evert would be heads and Goolagong tail, but the winner would win the set 6-2.

When both players have the same points and style in a set (40 Slice) this is a sudden death nine point tiebreaker, and a dice roll will pick the winner. Evert would be even, and Goolagong odd. Please post who you would like to be if you are interested, and if we have enough players I will request a forum for the game.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
raquel said:
I would love to play too :) I think you might get more repsonse if you post a thread in the Games forum and if you get enough replies you can request a forum for the game.
I know raquel, and thank you. I just wanted to give the Blast from the Past crowd first dibs, because I felt there are more fans of 70's players here. For instance Mark36 would have been a great Goolagong, tennisvideos/Durr, Jem/Boshoff, Declan/Wade and so on ... but I guess I was wrong. :eek:

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Evonne Goolagong said:
I know raquel, and thank you. I just wanted to give the Blast from the Past crowd first dibs, because I felt there are more fans of 70's players here. For instance Mark36 would have been a great Goolagong, tennisvideos/Durr, Jem/Boshoff, Declan/Wade and so on ... but I guess I was wrong. :eek:
No, I'd have been Kathy May or BettyAnn Stuart Dent, but this game seems a lot more complicated than your fab e-tournaments on the old board!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Declan said:
No, I'd have been Kathy May or BettyAnn Stuart Dent, but this game seems a lot more complicated than your fab e-tournaments on the old board!
Whatever you don't understand, just ask me here or through pm old friend ... thats goes for everyone.

P.S. I had you in mind when I included Kathy May and Betty-Anne, because I know we have atleast four Virginia Wade fans here. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.