Tennis Forum banner

Are multiple All-Belgian finals bad for women's tennis

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
and what about all the williams-finals...

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
of course it's bad, it's boring and boring doesn't sell. The T.V. ratings for tomorrow's final will be horribly low. The Williams Fianls are excting no matter what. Look at Wimby 2003 Venus was injured and she still lamost won, and she still beat that "so called #1" along the way too.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
We shall see. It's only the second one, and I can hardly believe the match will be as horribly one-sided as the RG final, although there are some similarities - Clijsters cruising into the final, Henin gutsing out a tough three-set win. Really, a lot will hinge on tomorrow: there are two hardcourt Slams and only one claycourt Slam, so a good encounter along the lines of the San Diego final (quality that is, not result) would be the ideal scenario.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
VenusSerena#1Fan said:
of course it's bad, it's boring and boring doesn't sell. The T.V. ratings for tomorrow's final will be horribly low. The Williams Fianls are excting no matter what. Look at Wimby 2003 Venus was injured and she still lamost won, and she still beat that "so called #1" along the way too.
These grapes seem a little off... :)

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I have a feeling the TV ratings in Belgium will be all time high for this US Open. Just a hunch....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Um, quit having tunnel vision. Tennis is played - and watched - in more countries than the U.S. While an all-Belgian final may not bring huge ratings in the U.S., it will bring good ratings in Europe. Also, Kim is loved in Australia, and I could see this final doing well there, too.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It's a change of pace, at least :)

What's really hurting women's tennis is the fact that only a handful of players can get to the top and once they are there, they cannot be dislodged except by each other. That's what makes it boring, and fast.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's final; I don't think Kim is going to be quite as frozen as she was at RG.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Exactly, there are always going to be a couple of dominating players getting to Grand Slam finals, it's just that we haven't had enough all-Belgian finals to get bored with them yet. Mind you, I am starting to get irritated at watching the two of them cruise through early-round matches, so a third factor in the equation would really be helpful. Mauresmo and Hantuchova are the obvious candidates, but both are physical wrecks at the moment.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
True - what will hurt women's tennis is a lack of quality matches. Tonight was the first truly great/dramatic match of the women's Open (in matches that had any shot at being covered). So far that hasn't hurt women's tennis as the personalities still win out, but it is catching up to the women.

Another problem is that people in the U.S. assume the rest of the world is like us. Just because people in the U.S. don't watch all-Belgian finals doesn't mean no one else does ;) According to the commentators, Kim is big in Europe, and we all know Australia loves her.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I'm starting to get irritated with all the Justine fans patting themselves on the back for a match well played, but that's just me ;)

It would be nice if this was a 3-way rivalry, or even if it could be a 4-way rivalry, with Serena and Venus and Kim and Justine playing and beating each other on a regular basis. I mean, if we have to come to terms with the idea that there will only be a few top choice players, they might as well have a great rivalry going on. If that were to develop, I think it would compensate for the lack of depth in the rankings.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hendouble said:
Exactly, there are always going to be a couple of dominating players getting to Grand Slam finals, it's just that we haven't had enough all-Belgian finals to get bored with them yet. Mind you, I am starting to get irritated at watching the two of them cruise through early-round matches, so a third factor in the equation would really be helpful. Mauresmo and Hantuchova are the obvious candidates, but both are physical wrecks at the moment.
IN all fairness WS 2 out of 3 was called bad for women's tennis at the FO 2002. I don't think Kim and Justine being in 2 out of 3 finals is boring. It doesn't bother me in the least.

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
Because the right choice is not there.

If EVERY final was Kim vs. Justine, it would get boring. I kind of like this trade-off deal.

Now, like someone said, we need mixing up. With Justine winning everything. ;)

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
TennisHack said:
It's a change of pace, at least :)

What's really hurting women's tennis is the fact that only a handful of players can get to the top and once they are there, they cannot be dislodged except by each other. That's what makes it boring, and fast.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's final; I don't think Kim is going to be quite as frozen as she was at RG.
uh-huh. shallow, boring, predictable. we need these overhyped youngins to step up quick cos this is getting rather tiring.

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Kim/Justine finals are better for tennis then All Williams finals. They are not sisters so we can expect them to play with no mercy for each other.
When the sisters face off, they can't be 100% competitive which leads to half assed competitions.
I won't change my opinion regardess lf the outcome of tomorrow's final.
I don't think all Williams finals are that boring but not exciting cuz their hearts ain't there.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gogomaggie said:
Kim/Justine finals are better for tennis then All Williams finals. They are not sisters so we can expect them to play with no mercy for each other.
When the sisters face off, they can't be 100% competitive which leads to half assed competitions.
I won't change my opinion regardess lf the outcome of tomorrow's final.
I don't think all Williams finals are that boring but not exciting cuz their hearts ain't there.
I mean boring for women's tennis, not a boring match. Like what Amelie Mauresmo said at Wimbledon 2002, and what the media said after the French 2002.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
greg² said:
and what about all the williams-finals...

That's just the point...!!! Justine was so sure (along with Amilie) that people would get "bored and tired" of the same two players (when it was the Williamses) always in the final. Wonder what her azz is saying now that she and Kim are the same two players...???...!!!...??? Exactly what her azz should have said back then...instead of complaining about Venus and Serena.

I would give a pretty penny to be one of the press during her post-match conference...!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts